Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As anti-sway ever kicked in for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Started towing a 22FB Airstream Bambi in August 19 with my X100D. The trailer is now stored for the winter months but can't wait to get going again. Because of tongue weight considerations (already close to the limit) and ease of hitching, I am not using a WD hitch. For added safety, I'm considering adding electronic anti-sway to my AS. Just wondering if it would add anything as according to Tesla's manual, the X has built in anti-sway when towing, meaning it will apply trailer brakes if it detects the back of the X swaying. I've yet to see the X do that. Has anyone? And if so, did it do a good job?

In my experience towing an enclosed race car trailer, the X is extremely stable even in the worst of crosswinds. It's just so heavy compared to what you can tow with it, and everything is very low.

I don't have WD or anti-sway, don't really need it. If the vehicle's anti-sway kicked in, I never noticed it.

1e777ddd-0384-49f5-8c6e-8233f647d65f-jpeg.401884

In my experience towing an enclosed race car trailer, the X is extremely stable even in the worst of crosswinds. It's just so heavy compared to what you can tow with it, and everything is very low.

I don't have WD or anti-sway, don't really need it. If the vehicle's anti-sway kicked in, I never noticed it.

1e777ddd-0384-49f5-8c6e-8233f647d65f-jpeg.401884

Very interesting. Thanks for the post. I find the X very stable too. What's the weight of your trailer and cargo?

Hey all. Started towing a 22FB Airstream Bambi in August 19 with my X100D. The trailer is now stored for the winter months but can't wait to get going again. Because of tongue weight considerations (already close to the limit) and ease of hitching, I am not using a WD hitch. For added safety, I'm considering adding electronic anti-sway to my AS. Just wondering if it would add anything as according to Tesla's manual, the X has built in anti-sway when towing, meaning it will apply trailer brakes if it detects the back of the X swaying. I've yet to see the X do that. Has anyone? And if so, did it do a good job?

This is incorrect, the X does not have a built in brake controller and will not apply the trailer brakes for you. Anti-sway uses the traction control system to keep the car steady. The wiring harness has a pass through from the trailer to a controller you should supply (unless it has surge brakes, which the Tesla also could not activate) as that trailer is more than the 1,000 lbs reccomended limit for trailers without separate brakes.

From the manual:
When towing a loaded trailer that weighs more than 1000 lbs (450 kg), Tesla recommends that the trailer be equipped with its own brake system adequate for the weight of the trailer. Ensure compliance with local regulations.
Connect the wiring on the brake controller to the appropriate locations on the 4-pinpigtail connector included with your Model X

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I am not sure the anti sway on the X applies the trailer brakes to control sway. Instead I believe it applies one of more of the brakes on the X itself to compensate for sway.

Not as powerful or effective as a full anti sway hitch, but certainly better than nothing.

Good point. Not sure which brakes are applied. Here's what the manual says. Not clear to me if it's the X or the trailer's.

Trailer Sway Mitigation

When trailer sway is detected, the Model X electronic stability control system attempts to apply the appropriate amount of braking to minimize trailer sway. The instrument panel briefly displays the traction control system indicator. Pressing the brake pedal when the system is actively braking to mitigate trailer sway does not cancel this automatic braking.

Yes, I know. I am not suggesting the X has a built in brake controller. I have installed a Tekonsha brake controller.

My question is about the anti-sway feature in trailer mode. How effective is it at controlling trailer sway when it kicks in?

Cool, I was confused by the Tesla activating trailer brakes statement. @ohmman has a lot of towing experience, maybe he'll chime in.

Cool, I was confused by the Tesla activating trailer brakes statement.

No worries.

@ohmman has a lot of towing experience, maybe he'll chime in.

Yes he does though I believe he uses the Equalizer so the stability of his rig has likely reduced the chances of anti-sway kicking in.

Just curious how real/solid that feature is. Cannot seem to find anyone who's tried it.

Reactions: ohmman
That is what I meant.

There are at least 3 ways to reduce trailer sway:
Simplest is to engage the brakes on the trailer.
Full trailer sway controller hitches use torsion bars to reduce sway. Uses the weight of the
The car itself can detect sway and apply counterforce by engaging one or more of the tow vehicle's brakes.

Usually the weight of the trailer, and the conditions it will be pulled determine the sway controllers best suited.

Sway from side winds, passing trucks, mountain curves...all have different sway characteristics.

Using a 5th wheel hook up will reduce sway, compared to a rear tow hitch.

Sway is dangerous. It takes some time for a typical driver to learn how to compensate for it.

Reactions: ohmman
Typically a Model X driver will not feel the vehicle sway control producing results, other than seeing the light flash on the dash when engaged. It all happens "behind the scenes".

Same thing with the new RAVEN adaptable suspension. It will automatically switch from soft shocks to firm shocks, but most will not even notice.

I am not sure the anti sway on the X applies the trailer brakes to control sway. Instead I believe it applies one of more of the brakes on the X itself to compensate for sway.
I find it very unlikely that the feature accesses the trailer brakes in the appropriate way to minimize sway, which is to apply trailer brakes without applying vehicle brakes. Trailer brakes are controlled by a third party brake controller, and that merely works through a combination of brake lights and an accelerometer. Mine has a lever that can be used to manually apply brakes to the trailer without engaging the vehicle brakes. That tightens the linkage between the two and should control sway.

I haven’t felt any sway to date, but as mentioned above, I do have a friction-style weight distribution/anti-sway system. That said, the amount of friction needed to level my rig is the absolute minimum and I’m often curious how much anti-sway is contributed by the minor torsion in the bars.

I find it very unlikely that the feature accesses the trailer brakes in the appropriate way to minimize sway, which is to apply trailer brakes without applying vehicle brakes. Trailer brakes are controlled by a third party brake controller, and that merely works through a combination of brake lights and an accelerometer. Mine has a lever that can be used to manually apply brakes to the trailer without engaging the vehicle brakes. That tightens the linkage between the two and should control sway.

I haven’t felt any sway to date, but as mentioned above, I do have a friction-style weight distribution/anti-sway system. That said, the amount of friction needed to level my rig is the absolute minimum and I’m often curious how much anti-sway is contributed by the minor torsion in the bars.

Thanks @ohmman

If it’s the X’s brakes that the feature activates, then it shouldn’t conflict or be too redundant with electronic anti-sway added to the trailer. Would be a bit of a belt and suspenders scenario. So far, in the few months I towed before winter, I’ve not really experienced sway but as I plan longer road trips for next summer, I’m contemplating added protection.

Thanks @ohmman

If it’s the X’s brakes that the feature activates, then it shouldn’t conflict or be too redundant with electronic anti-sway added to the trailer. Would be a bit of a belt and suspenders scenario. So far, in the few months I towed before winter, I’ve not really experienced sway but as I plan longer road trips for next summer, I’m contemplating added protection.
I think if I were to do it again, I'd probably consider the ProPride 3P-600. The Equal-i-zer is a brute force method of controlling sway, because it merely uses the friction created by the weight distribution bars to reduce the trailer's tendency to move independently from the vehicle. As I mentioned above, my relatively lightweight trailer barely impacts the levelness of my heavy X. When doing the installation adjustments, you measure the wheel wells and adjust the weight distribution bars so that the vehicle is returned to "level". Well, that takes the minimum of tension, which in turn means that the friction from those bars is the minimum amount. If I were to have a significant amount of tension on those bars, the trailer would more strongly resist turning relative to the X. Hopefully I explained that well enough.

The ProPride's anti-sway mechanism works independently of the weight distribution. In fact, you could have no weight distribution in place and still lock out sway. The downside is that the hitch itself is heavier even than my Equal-i-zer, and hitching requires backing into the mechanism, which seems a little fiddly, especially if you were camping at an unlevel forest service campsite.

Obviously I have what I have at this point. I don't see a point in replacing it until/unless I get another trailer, or until I have an experience that makes me more strongly question the effectiveness of my hitch.

I know that @ecarfan has towed a significant number of miles without weight distribution on his rig and hasn't experienced much, if any sway. Perhaps he'll chime in as well.

• Informative
Reactions: steilkurve
The ProPride's anti-sway mechanism works independently of the weight distribution. In fact, you could have no weight distribution in place and still lock out sway. The downside is that the hitch itself is heavier even than my Equal-i-zer, and hitching requires backing into the mechanism, which seems a little fiddly, especially if you were camping at an unlevel forest service camp site.

Yes, I have looked at it as well. Seems to be quite effective at controlling or even eliminating sway. On the weight, I understand you could distribute it pretty much entirely between the trailer and the car. That is if the reports I have read are accurate, don’t know for sure obviously. That would be the only way I could consider the ProPride as my 2020 Bambi is at the upper limit of tongue weight.

I know that @ecarfan has towed a significant number of miles without weight distribution on his rig and hasn't experienced much, if any sway. Perhaps he'll chime in as well.

Yes, as I have yours I have read many of his posts. You are both extremely insightful and helpful! His Alto, however, is I believe much lighter than our Airstreams thus reducing the need.

That being said, I’ve towed for over two months without sway control or weight distribution and have not experienced any scary moment. Maybe the X’s weight and the Airstream’s aerodynamics make the rig less prone to sway or maybe it’s just luck.

His Alto, however, is I believe much lighter than our Airstreams thus reducing the need.
My trailer, at just 2,300 lbs fully loaded, is so light compared to my X (nearly 6,000 lbs loaded) that weight distribution isn’t needed, as near as I can tell. Occasionally when towing I think I can perceive the trailer moving around a tiny bit when a big semi passes me but never enough to cause me concern. And I have MIchelin passenger tires on my trailer (not proper trailer tires with stiff sidewalls) which in theory make the trailer not quite as stable but provide a smoother ride. I plan on changing to ST rated tires when I need to replace them.