Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As Model 3 deliveries ramp up, are you worried about charger queuing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many Teslas in the UK presently? How many M3s ordered? Therein lies the answer. If Tesla install Superchargers at proportionately the same rate as they sell cars, then it'll be fine.

That said, a friend on his third Tesla tells me he uses an SC about 10 times a year, the rest being at home (or occasional destinations). I expect to be similar, so no, I'm not worried. If it was critical on a trip I'd take my wife's ICE.

Not really. I'll use Supercharges a handful of times per year, and there's no queue for the charger in my driveway. :cool:

Joking aside, it could be a problem is the numbers of chargers don't expand. Even if I only need one a couple of times a year, I do need them to be available then and the idea of queuing to charge doesn't appeal to me.

It's good to see other networks also rolling out super fast chargers, like BP and Ionity. I'll use them so infrequently I don't care which I use or how much it costs (within reason), just so long as something is available.

I can see that home charging will be the norm, but when you're on a longer trip it must be a real PITA to have to wait a while for a charging bay to be available (plus your own charge time of course). I've become so accustomed to fast & smooth fill-ups at petrol stations that it's got me a little concerned. I guess the usual first EV jitters!

I can't see it being an issue. In 3 years in the leaf and largely reliant on Ecotricity for long journeys (Instavolt etc. only appeared in the last year) I only had to queue once. The superchargers I've seen (not many admittedly, since they're normally hidden away) were normally empty. It'd take a lot of model 3s to change that.

Most people charge at home.. it's not like petrol where everyone has to go to the same place so wait in a 20 minute queue every saturday afternoon. The increase in use of rapid chargers scales a lot slower than the increase in ownership.

London is probably a special case - have hard of ridiculous queues there, mostly due to taxis taking up the space (thrief taxis? Might be misremembering as google doesn't help but there was a big blowup about them hogging rapids a couple of years back) but the rest of the country I've not heard of anything.

Not really. I'll use Supercharges a handful of times per year, and there's no queue for the charger in my driveway

It's good to see other networks also rolling out super fast chargers, like BP and Ionity. I'll use them so infrequently I don't care which I use or how much it costs (within reason), just so long as something is available.

I can see that home charging will be the norm

I can't see it being an issue.

All of this :)

I've become so accustomed to fast & smooth fill-ups at petrol stations that it's got me a little concerned.

To see another view please visit my local filing station - the queues are horrendous - people queue for 10 minutes then give up once they've edged forward enough to take the exit and get back to the main road. Some people will stick it out for 20+ minutes. It has only moderately improved with Pay at Pump until the person goes in buys a coffee and waits in a another queue to pay inside.

To avoid the queues I do an 'out of my way' journey late at night, something like 15 miles round trip which takes about 30 minutes from door back to same door.

Not generally a problem at the Aviemore supercharger !

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 58
Yes and no! :)

Yes - because once the backlog of UK Model 3 orders is cleared, the number of Model 3s will be at least equal to the total number of Models S & X combined, so there will be twice as many cars vying for the same chargers.

No - because having driven 35000 miles in my two previous EVs, more than 90% of my charging was done at home. Many times with the Leaf I had to find an alternative Rapid charger, either because it was out of order or being used, so this isn’t a new worry. However, every time I pass Woodhall services on the M1 I glance across at the 8 Tesla bays to see what’s there. Often there’s no-one there charging, sometimes one or two cars. When I stopped there on Friday on the way home from Stockport, when I arrived there was one Model S. While I was there another four cars (3 x S, 1 x X) arrived, and the original S left. So for a short time six of eight bays were occupied, but 20 minutes later when I left only four were in use. Remember this was Friday teatime on a bank holiday weekend, so the roads were very busy. I also think that Tesla will upgrade many sites to increase the number of bays.

Because I live in the centre of Edinburgh (I have secure parking but no drive) I'm going to try and rely on the public infrastructure making this a live concern for me. There are already 9 (free) ChargePlace Scotland charge points within a 2 min walk of my house and the city is rolling out 10 "community charging hubs" across the city over the next 12 months we're going to. As I'm ineligible for the OLEV grant the urgency of putting one in front of my house (and trailing cord across pavement) is a low priority. I've been monitoring the points around my house and they are rarely full, or even in use.

What worries me more is attempting the NC 500 in October in my M3.

Reactions: Roy W.
I hope to never have to use a SC as all of my journeys are never more than 200 miles per day, but that said, I may want to venture further once in a blue moon, so I will find out then how bad it is.

When you add up al the charging Companies and amount of chargers they all are placing at the moment, hopefully it will get better.

I realize your all from Scotland or the UK. The pic is from yesterday here in Florida.
IMG_4585.JPG

Two years ago you would not have seen 1 other car here peak times.

There were three waiting on the right and all charging spots full. I was taking pic of course from my car, I am number 4 waiting. Then a fifth came he was headed north from Miami and he was not a happy camper, we had to calm him down. He got in right after me, minute or two later. Miami people don't travel too well.

Headed south in Florida Sunday after noon and a large American Football game between two rival colleges, U of Florida and U of Miami completed night before. The southern movers lost the game, my team won even though I was headed south.

It feels and looks bad, but I only waited like 10 minutes and I was last to get in. I've had my car for three years and only waited one other time at any and all Superchargers for like 3 minutes.

Yes, model 3 has changed the landscape, I have learned to splash and go(an old term from Gasoline). Its quicker, I'm out before any others even though I'm last, it frees up the spot for another.

If we all learn to do this including newbie Tesla 3, X and S, things would be less complicated. Take what you actually need to make it to destination plus your 10-15-20% buffer.

Everyone that was in front of me was still there, and one from before we all got there. Their needs might have been different.

Now California, they must be in a real mess on occasions.

Safe Travels

Last edited:
I realize your all from Scotland or the UK. The pic is from yesterday here in Florida. View attachment 446595

Yes, model 3 has changed the landscape, I have learned to splash and go(an old term from Gasoline). Its quicker, I'm out before any others even though I'm last, it frees up the spot for another.

Agreed, I've been planning a view imaginary routes using abetterrouteplanner and it's interesting to see that to make the quickest long journey's it frequently recommends a Supercharger charge of just a few minutes.

By this time next year you will have a problem finding vacant superchargers particularly on the M1, M6, M40, M4, M3, M25, M2 and M20. There aren't enough now and there are no M3s yet. Imagine another 50,000/100,000 more Teslas? It is not a problem near conurbations because drivers will home charge but there are insufficient numbers of sites mid way between the various conurbations. Tesla certainly do not have enough under construction and a number are always out of action. If you look at the map there are insufficient as well south of a line from London to Bristol, where both the population and the money lives.
In California the Superchargers are both numerous and huge and they are struggling.....we will be no different within a couple of years.

Used the Leeds Supercharger today.

It consists of two stalls with shared power. Underwhelming at best.

Was busy last night and had to queue this morning.

Tesla has better get more UK superchargers installed (although I expect the vast majority of times I’ll be charging at home...)

That location is unlikely to get expanded either because the hotel car park is usually packed at peak periods. There are supposed to be new superchargers under construction not to far away though.