Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As of 02/18/2017 Hartford Auto Insurance not allowing Any Model Tesla be written as new business or

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unsurprising to me. Tesla is going to have to put the screws to ther authorized body shops to stop inflating claims, and stop offloading what should be simple mechanical work handled by the SvC itself to those same problematic body shops, or this will just get worse.

Look at the recent thread where a simple replacement of a ball joint and control arm that the SvC clearly could and should have of-thousands-of-dollars job at a body shop and see where we're headed. Insurers don't want the ridculous variance in their expected payout that's caused by this nonsense; when the variance gets too high, they can't effectively price the risk and will just exclude the vehicles. Welcome to the world of the Pontiac Fiero...
I agree with this, the high cost of repairs do to only allowing authorized body shops do repairs is the reason. You have these body shops ripping off Tesla customers and their insurance companies. If you are a reputable body shop you can repair a Tesla, also parts need to be available at a reasonable cost. Tesla needs to address this issue before no one will insure any Tesla.

Tesla may well do so themselves, by attempting to form their own insurance company -- one that only insures vehicles that are Level 5 capable.

If they did that it might help the rest of us. If Tesla has to be on the recieving end of an authorized shop trying to gouge prices due to their monopoly in an area, they will probably put a stop to it rather quickly.

To my knowledge, Elon Musk only noted an insurance program they offer in China. It would be nice if they could do so in the U.S. as well. But insurance companies have worked just as hard as NADA to carve out a specific monopolistic market niche for themselves.

They even blocked Tesla from offering an Extended Warranty in States like Washington and Florida. They claimed that any paid warranty extension amounted to a guarantee, which meant it as effectively insurance. Those States apparently don't allow a manufacturer, of any product, to sell insurance for the products they build. It's perfectly OK to offer an included warranty for the purchased product, just not a separate one to purchase.

My take on it is that Tesla fully plans on rolling it out in other regions. Now that doesn't mean insurance companies won't try to block it.

Tesla is so sure its cars are safe that it now offers insurance for life

To me it makes sense since with Level 3 and beyond who's liable gets a little blurry.

Oh, BTW - In Washington State you can now get an extended warranty at least with a Tesla. That rule was changed maybe a year or so ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
My take on it is that Tesla fully plans on rolling it out in other regions. Now that doesn't mean insurance companies won't try to block it.

Tesla is so sure its cars are safe that it now offers insurance for life

To me it makes sense since with Level 3 and beyond who's liable gets a little blurry.

Oh, BTW - In Washington State you can now get an extended warranty at least with a Tesla. That rule was changed maybe a year or so ago.
That's good to know. But due to Florida and other locations, it is probably still referred to as an 'Extended Service Agreement' instead of a warranty. Right?

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Smarty, the individuals crunching the numbers for insurance companies are more than likely the actuaries, not the accountants. We might then use the actuaries' data to develop premium pricing while working with the underwriters and the lawyers.

We accountants sometimes deserve our reputations, but I do not think that this is one of those times. We can only work with the data that we receive from others and the direction from those who write the contracts.

All this talk about authorized repair shops ripping people off. I'm sure there's some over inflation points here and there, but my experience has been on the up and up. My shop sent me a list of parts, some with the cost from tesla + their markup. Honestly not a rip off and a fair addition.

I also know the repair shop I use had to invest heavily in the specialized aluminum welding equipment plus Tesla's certified assembly jigs.

It's just an expensive car to fix

We accountants sometimes deserve our reputations, but I do not think that this is one of those times. We can only work with the data that we receive from others and the direction from those who write the contracts.

No, as I said, accountants with a narrow vision - not intended for all. And thanks for the actuary explanation. I only worked with accountants (who eliminated the last Engineer in the Engineering dept to save money).

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
All this talk about authorized repair shops ripping people off. I'm sure there's some over inflation points here and there, but my experience has been on the up and up. My shop sent me a list of parts, some with the cost from tesla + their markup. Honestly not a rip off and a fair addition.
This has also been my experience.

We're both in Northern California where there are many Tesla's; I think the concentration and large number of authorized shops causes some competition. As a result, the shops that tend to want to be reasonable take on the task.