Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AS Tires for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a MYLR on order but estimate keeps going between April and June. I'm trying to decide if I should call Tesla and get my order changed to a Perf since it would speed up delivery by 1 or more months. My biggest concern with the perf and why I didn't order originally was when I was ordering in October they did not offer AS tires. I don't get a lot of snow where I live but it does snow 1-3 times a year. Since they now offer AS tires with the car I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go this route. The concerning thing is I can't find how much the tires cost or how to even buy them if I needed a replacement. I'm trying to figure out how much extra the perf will cost me vs the LR. Tirerack has no AS tires for the 21" wheels. Would the only option be to buy from Tesla in that case, and if so how much do they charge for new tires? I assume the perf will also use up tires faster since less tire on the wheel and more power. Would it be safe to say 20k replacement schedule vs 30k.

A rough estimate I can think of is spending an extra 5k on tires over 100k miles with the car. Does this seem fair? I guess the most concerning part of the whole thing is the lack of AS general availability. It's too bad they just didn't use the same 20" wheels from the perf model 3. Anyways... cost aside; the car is going to be a shared family car that's replacing our current SUV. We have one toddler currently whos in love with Tesla and asks every other day when the tesla is going to arrive. Part of me wants the faster car however I've never driven a perf tesla. I tried to schedule a test drive but it says due to high demand they stopped all test drives in my area.

$5k in tires over 100k miles seems high. It’s about $1600-1800 for replacement tires. The A/S should last about 30k depending on driving.

Buying the Perf to get it sooner is a crap shoot. You might get it sooner, you might not. And if you spend the money and end up getting a Perf in April or May anyways it doesn’t sound like you’ll be happy. Plus depending on when you ordered you’ll be taking price increase AND Performance hit. So it’ll be a fair chunk of change to gamble on earlier delivery.

If you want Perf get Perf. But know what you are getting. I would not recommend it for just earlier delivery date though. Too much risk especially since you’ve already burned 2 months of the gap waiting for your LR.

Part of me wants the faster car however I've never driven a perf tesla. I tried to schedule a test drive but it says due to high demand they stopped all test drives in my area.
Rent a MYP for a day via Turo website/app to judge speed and ride quality due to different suspension and low profile wheels & compare to a MYLR. I tend to keep my Blue 2022 MYP in chill mode when in city and sport mode on the highway. I might be selling my two week old MYP (Blue, white interior, tow hitch, no FSD) which works great since I‘m starting to feel it is way sportier than what I really need. The purchase was truly a midlife crisis response. Ha ha.

Price increased 3k for LR and 1k for Perf since I ordered however my color grey is now free so actually the perf would cost me exactly the same now as when I ordered in October. I'll look into finding a perf to drive... I guess the biggest unknown to me is tire replacement cost. Micheline doesn't even list the tires for sale that Tesla is putting on the new models. Having no way to buy replacements outside of Tesla is a big scary. Also does Tesla even have them in stock if I get one damaged and need a replacement. Seems like things are constantly out of stock from Tesla or having a delay.

I spent about $1400 to replace my summer tires with Continental DWS06+ through Discount Tire. There are a couple of threads on what size tires to use since the OEM sizes are both hard to find and not exactly the ideal size for the car. I think I went with 265/40R21 on the fronts and 295/35R21 for the rears.

Prorate that for 100k and you’re probably looking at about $4000 for tires. I’m not sure what 19” tires would cost but probably a little less than that. But then again, you’d be stuck driving a slow car for all those miles. 😜

Lol damnit now I have to buy a perf ;) Yeah... it's going to be a shared car for me and wifey so my 2nd fear is just having a far thats too much car for wife to drive since shes used to slow cars. She said a few times she would just use chill mode though. Chill mode is slower then her current car so that feels a little weird. Unsure why Tesla doesnt have a standard mode that emulates a LR MY. Looks like insurance is going to be the same for both... I can't figure out how to edit my order now that I've placed it. I may habe gone beyond the place for editing. I may need to call and talk to someone.

Did you test drive the "slow" version prior to getting your Perf? Is the perf that much more addicting? I'm sorta afraid it will make me drive even faster.

Lol damnit now I have to buy a perf ;) Yeah... it's going to be a shared car for me and wifey so my 2nd fear is just having a far thats too much car for wife to drive since shes used to slow cars. She said a few times she would just use chill mode though. Chill mode is slower then her current car so that feels a little weird. Unsure why Tesla doesnt have a standard mode that emulates a LR MY. Looks like insurance is going to be the same for both... I can't figure out how to edit my order now that I've placed it. I may habe gone beyond the place for editing. I may need to call and talk to

someone.

Did you test drive the "slow" version prior to getting your Perf? Is the perf that much more addicting? I'm sorta afraid it will make me drive even faster.
Did you get you MYP? What tires did it come with?
I ordered my MYP Mar 1, 2022 just before the price increase. I just took delivery June 18, 2022. It came with Pirelli P-Zero summer tires :^( I asked someone at the local Tesla Service Center about getting the tires swapped and they said that the tires it comes with depends on when it is shipped - cars arriving in the summer get summer tires, cars arriving in the winter get all season tires. That's absurd!
So, I am trying to find someone at Tesla to swap them out before I put any miles on them (149 miles at the moment).
So, what happened with your MYP?