Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As U.S. retreats, EU and China seek climate leadership at summit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a statement backed by all 28 EU states, the European Union and China will commit to full implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement, EU and Chinese officials said. The joint statement, the first between the China and the EU, commits to cutting back on fossil fuels, developing more green technology and helping raise $100 billion a year by 2020 to help poorer countries cut their emissions.

• Funny
Reactions: cdub and FlatSix911
In a statement backed by all 28 EU states, the European Union and China will commit to full implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement, EU and Chinese officials said. The joint statement, the first between the China and the EU, commits to cutting back on fossil fuels, developing more green technology and helping raise $100 billion a year by 2020 to help poorer countries cut their emissions.

Europe and China paying their fair share of UN spending... Today is June 1st, not April 1st.

After 10 years, China is still the world's dirtiest country. Imagine that. I heard they were doing such great things. But I heard it from the Official Chinese Press.

are you bemoaning the loss of "american exceptionalism" in this matter?
It is pathetic that the US cannot lead the movement to combat climate change. But rational governments like California and many others, and rational companies like Tesla and many others, will still continue their efforts to reduce carbon emissions.

What irrational entities do, like the current Federal Executive Branch, are just passing pointless actions. The irreversible trend is towards sustainable energy. It is becoming cheaper than fossile fuels and that is unstoppable.

It is pathetic that the US cannot lead the movement to combat climate change. But rational governments like California and many others, and rational companies like Tesla and many others, will still continue their efforts to reduce carbon emissions.

What irrational entities do, like the current Federal Executive Branch, are just passing pointless actions. The irreversible trend is towards sustainable energy. It is becoming cheaper than fossile fuels and that is unstoppable.
maybe the US should lead and not be led, this accord was far from the US leading

.... The joint statement, the first between the China and the EU, commits to cutting back on fossil fuels, developing more green technology and helping raise $100 billion a year by 2020 to......

the cliche is that Paris treaty was europeans telling americans to buy chinese solar panels to give to indians.

it was never a good deal for Americans, a spectacularly bad deal actually, but I bet the Chinese will definitely continue their particular style of support for the Paris treaty.

$100billion per year (each and every year)
that makes it comparable to about 1/2 of OPEC oil exports circa 1999/2001
upload_2017-6-2_13-32-48.png

its a bad for America treaty that creates a new drain on the economy like Paris treaty was.
Similarly, its a great treaty for India and China. utterly fantastic.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to lead when all you want to do is go backwards....

As the old expression goes, "lead, follow, or get out of the way." "Standing in the way" (or moving backwards) is not where you want to be. But it is where we (the US) find ourselves.

This is not only a setback for the planet and all of our children, but makes the US look like a bunch of ignorant fools. Which, apparently, we are. I think we will find the US quickly becoming morally isolated from the rest of the world on this issue, akin to South Africa and apartheid.

... I bet the Chinese will definitely continue their particular style of support for the Paris treaty.
It supports UN/Paris by mouth, not by hand.

China needs to reduce their dependence on foreign oil and coal for reasons that have nothing to do with the UN-Paris or CO2 levels. China bans coal imports to North Korea - CNN.com

When China had developed lethal levels of air pollution they didn't take much action, it was only when it became a matter of national defense did they take action against NK and coal.

Here is what they think of the Paris accord when you measure Chinese actions, not words:
China's February crude oil imports hit second highest on record

But they are also trying to massively expand domestic production:
Why The South China Sea Has More Oil Than You Think

China has critical strategic and political reasons for lowering fossil fuel imports; they are not environmental concerns whatsoever. They have to try to produce more fossil fuels domestically. This is difficult with low oil prices, so they resort to renewable energy for the time being. They have no choice.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
Yes.
If the climate problem is real we are all in this together.
The US showed up for WW2, and that expense was far greater than sticking with the Paris Treaty would be.
so the US should fund the problem the whole world shares?
how about every nation devote 1% of their GDP to address the situation?
I don't think that many nations would be so rabid about the faux climate issue

Reactions: hpartsch
your quote is from the movie the idiocracy, maybe you should view the whole movie because sadly fiction has become reality!
not sure for president

Not so. The quote is a derivative of a statement from General George Patton, who is reported to have said: "Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." George S. Patton - Wikiquote It is also often attributed to Thomas Paine, although no one seems to be able to confirm he actually said it. It predates Idiocracy by decades, possibly centuries.

your quote is from the movie the idiocracy, maybe you should view the whole movie because sadly fiction has become reality!

I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub