Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ash = Zero solar today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The fires by us are well contained, but the ash clouds from the North and Sierras are really killing out solar production. So far 0.0 kW generated at 10 AM. Looks like Mars outside.

Ash is covering everything, including our solar roof. I guess I need to go up there and hose it off some early morning.

20200909_095231.jpg 20200909_095410.jpg 20200909_095139.jpg

Ash is covering everything, including our solar roof. I guess I need to go up there and hose it off some early morning.
I would not rush to do it. More fires starting every day.

I suspect its the particles in the atmosphere vs the ash on your PV. At 4pm yesterday we had a little ash but it was as dark as 7:30PM from the smoke.

Zero production just like we get at 7:30PM.

It's almost peak solar for today and my 7.2kW system is generating 100 watts. I have the grid, so I am not worried, just gonna have to pay for power I usually get for free. But the grid operators must be worried, no wind, no solar? Crazy

It's almost peak solar for today and my 7.2kW system is generating 100 watts. I have the grid, so I am not worried, just gonna have to pay for power I usually get for free. But the grid operators must be worried, no wind, no solar? Crazy

It's pretty cool; but California's reported renewable energy generation today doesn't seem that far off of normal without the Martian haze. I guess this haze is just sitting over us in the Bay but the main solar collectors aren't under this cover.

California ISO - Supply

They're off about 1,000 MW @ peak when compared to a few days ago (although the trend is rather lumpy today).

Well, down here in Monterey we had this haze yesterday as well as today. Looks awful out here, the color that it casts is so different from normal. Yes, could be Mars. No ash falling but can see a layer above us mixing with some fog. From my hill side about 500ft above sea level, horizontal visibility was pretty good considering, maybe 10 miles earlier, right this minute about 2-3 miles. So far production for day is 1.25kWh,

Moderator note: This post plus several following posts were from another thread that got merged with this one.

I am wondering how other’s energy production has been affected by the smoke and overcast in the Bay Area or elsewhere. I am eagerly awaiting my installation of a large system with 3 PWs on September 17-18.
I hope I won’t find that a backup generator will be needed.
I have read that production can drop 50% or more due to the smoke. Please advise. @jboy210 and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, smoke haze etc cuts production. I know I am not "@jboy210" and am in southern california, not norcal, but yesterday my production was about 1/3 of normal. Today, however, my production was "closer" to normal.

Fairly easy to manage this by changing modes on your system (to backup only for a couple days if one is worried about lack of production, for example). If you are off grid for full day, AND there is lots of smoke / rain, you will likely need to manage your home loads.

of everyone here, its likely @BrettS has the most experience running off grid, so even though he isnt in the bay area, he would have the most experience in running off grid (likely most hours off grid compared to anyone in this section, I would think).

Reactions: LadyLion