Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asheville, NC to Greenville, SC through the mountains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on my first road trip, Sarasota, FL to Greenville. Everything great on the way up.

I want to drive up to Asheville and then come back down through the mountains (Pisgah). I know it will take about 30% to go up the interstate. Neither the car nor ABRP will route through the mountains.

Is there a way to figure it out, like alternate route or something?

Thanks!

I wasn't able to share a route with the car, kept getting an error. I have shared destinations without a problem. I'm also trying with ABRP but it's not real easy.

The route is 235 miles, slow speed mostly. I guess I can get into it and see what happens. I can always turn around.

I wasn't able to share a route with the car, kept getting an error. I have shared destinations without a problem. I'm also trying with ABRP but it's not real easy.

The route is 235 miles, slow speed mostly. I guess I can get into it and see what happens. I can always turn around.
Are you thinking asheville-blue ridge parkway - then back down route 276? If so in ABRP start in Asheville, add waypoints for “cradle of forestry” and Brevard, NC and finish in Greenville. That will route you down through pisgah. Shoot me a message if you need more info - I’m pretty familiar with the area. you will lose a lot of range heading to Asheville because of the climb so will likely make you nervous, but There is a supercharger in Asheville right near Blueridge pkwy entrance if you want to fill up (but coming back you gain most of it back so probably doable - I trust ABRP in these matters).

Last edited:
here is a really nice route - on a MYP, ABRP suggests a 7 min charge in Asheville

7F5E17CB-4C4A-4102-8995-543603539912.png

I've driven from Greenville SC to Ashville NC in my S70. I took a small diversion up 276 to DuPont State Recreational Forest and spent a few hours. Google maps shows that as about 100 miles - I'm not sure exactly what route I took. Anyway, even with my 240 mile range, I had no concerns at all.
It's a beautiful area. I'm jealous!

Reactions: FasterBlaster
Thanks all, and chiptoe yes that is a nice route. I figured out ABRP and found it is much simpler for me on my ipad.

I’ve rethought coming back to Greenville. I think I’ll take Blueridge Parkway to the end and then head up through Gatlinburg to the Pigeon Forge Supercharger. Looks like I can do that with around 65% of full charge. 146 miles and 3 hours 45 minutes. Plus the hour to Asheville and charging, stops at overlooks. Find a hotel room and a beer, makes a full day!

Reactions: Johnny Vector
So 19 hours of driving in two days got me home to Sarasota. The Asheville to Pigeon Forge route was awesome, and I only used 40%! I could probably have gone back to Asheville depending on the elevation, but maybe not.

When I got to the end of the Blueridge Parkway I had 52%, with 30 miles and 48 minutes to go to Pigeon Forge, and the car told me I would arrive with 51%. Huh? What I didn't know was almost the entire 30 miles was downhill, and a lot of it pretty steep. I went on forever, and at one point I was back up to 56%. Sure enough I pulled into the Supercharger at 51%. Crazy!

I had most of the parkway to myself early on so I could really enjoy the car (and enjoy it I did).

One funny thing on the way home yesterday. Somewhere in sough Georgia I look back and see a shiny new Corvette right on my bumper, came out of nowhere. I had a truck to my right and was 6mph over the limit, so I accelerated a little and eventually got out of the way. This guy was really obnoxious. So I pull over into the right lane and, well, I couldn't resist. I dropped the pedal and introduced him to my MYP. While I had the pedal down I never saw him out of my peripheral vision - he could NOT hang 😁 He had a hot girl in the passenger seat and that made it even sweeter!

Got a pic at one of the higher overlooks:

Blueridge Pkwy.jpeg

So 19 hours of driving in two days got me home to Sarasota. The Asheville to Pigeon Forge route was awesome, and I only used 40%! I could probably have gone back to Asheville depending on the elevation, but maybe not.

When I got to the end of the Blueridge Parkway I had 52%, with 30 miles and 48 minutes to go to Pigeon Forge, and the car told me I would arrive with 51%. Huh? What I didn't know was almost the entire 30 miles was downhill, and a lot of it pretty steep. I went on forever, and at one point I was back up to 56%. Sure enough I pulled into the Supercharger at 51%. Crazy!

I had most of the parkway to myself early on so I could really enjoy the car (and enjoy it I did).

One funny thing on the way home yesterday. Somewhere in sough Georgia I look back and see a shiny new Corvette right on my bumper, came out of nowhere. I had a truck to my right and was 6mph over the limit, so I accelerated a little and eventually got out of the way. This guy was really obnoxious. So I pull over into the right lane and, well, I couldn't resist. I dropped the pedal and introduced him to my MYP. While I had the pedal down I never saw him out of my peripheral vision - he could NOT hang 😁 He had a hot girl in the passenger seat and that made it even sweeter!

Got a pic at one of the higher overlooks:

View attachment 708939
What tires do you have on those Martian wheels?

I did the trip to Asheville from New Jersey. Also stopped at Knoxville and Gatlinburg. Allot of fun with my MYP.