Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Ask a professional car detailer, clear bra and coatings installation expert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the most part, good advice. I did not like the phrase "In short, not decontaminating properly equates to incompetent masking of defects that will show up later." reacting to the charge "incompetent" - perhaps "incomplete, inadequate" as substitute words. Also, why not say...use these steps...instead of just being critical. I was taught to offer suggestions and not just point out problems.

You are correct. I believe I had 2 different thoughts combating one another for the same sentence and this is what my dyslexic brain spit out. Thanks for the correction.

The steps that should be used are known by professionals. There is a choice being made to cut corners, AZDD. It is not a matter of no one knowing how to do things properly. The content is there to empower car owners, not coach along someone making a choice to cut corners during paint correction.

What's your take on clearFX compared to cquartz or opticoat? The place I'm considering for my wrap only offers that as a coating option.

There is so little information about clearFX available. Their website is incomplete and uses verbiage that has no meaning outside of their marketing. For instance, they use "Attogenetic Surface Engineering" which is quite a fancy word that I can't find any information about outside of their installers repeating it. All of this is not to say that it is necessarily snake-oil. Every company has to get a start somewhere. But I would be cautious.

My personal preference for coatings and their installers is Modesta. You can find a Modesta installer for North America, as well as the rest of the world, here: MODESTA - WORLDWIDE NATIONAL DISTRIBUTORS The products are proven and the standard to become a Modesta installer is incredibly rigid(in terms of knowledge/experience required and ethical accountability).

Modesta has industry-leading coating solutions for paint and body(9 different coating options the installers can choose from for just paint/body), wheels and calipers(with the highest temperature resistance on the market) and a 2-part Leather Protection System(LPS-01 and LPS-02) that gives chemical resistance and a topcoat that offers abrasion resistance.

Last edited:
With that said, if you have any questions in terms of detailing, clear bra / paint protection film, coatings and their application or any other cosmetic questions about your Tesla, here is your opportunity to have them answered. No need to feel like you can't or shouldn't ask me a question if you're not a Georgia local. This thread is here to help the whole TMC community. :wink:

P100D Black Metallic arrives this week. Couple questions:
  1. Trying to decide if the full XPEL wrap is really worth the money over just the front end? Almost double the price and I feel like i'm protecting a lot of areas not likely to be injured/scratched. Please help my justify the full wrap or am I throwing money away?
  2. Going to do full body paint correction and Modesta coating. Referring to question 1, front end wrap + Modesta coating... is that enough protection?
  3. They said modest also offers a leather protector. Can you tell me more about that? The white seats already have some kind of protectant on them, is it overkill?
  4. They also over a screen and dash protector against smudges... works well.
  5. It's a $160k car, what else would you suggest I do to keep it looking fresh?

P100D Black Metallic arrives this week. Couple questions:
  1. Trying to decide if the full XPEL wrap is really worth the money over just the front end? Almost double the price and I feel like i'm protecting a lot of areas not likely to be injured/scratched. Please help my justify the full wrap or am I throwing money away?
  2. Going to do full body paint correction and Modesta coating. Referring to question 1, front end wrap + Modesta coating... is that enough protection?
  3. They said modest also offers a leather protector. Can you tell me more about that? The white seats already have some kind of protectant on them, is it overkill?
  4. They also over a screen and dash protector against smudges... works well.
  5. It's a $160k car, what else would you suggest I do to keep it looking fresh?

Good morning Rhino.

I will do my best to describe some of the nuances about these services and hopefully it will lift the fog for you on what may be the best option for you.

1. This is completely up to each person. Obviously, everyone will decide whether to spend their money or not. What I mean is that clear bra is kind of like insurance. Everyone is comfortable with different levels of coverage and clear bra is no different. For some, the idea of scuffs and scratches anywhere on their car is unbearable. Some folks feel like "it's a car....it will get beat up, who cares?" In those 2 cases, if I heard that internal monologue I would tell the first person it sounds like a full body clear bra wrap may be the best fit for them. For the second person, they may not even find clear bra valuable because they do not value the cosmetics as much....in terms of raw value though, I would say at least protect the highest wear and tear areas.

Where should a film that is used to primarily protect paint from rock chips be installed? At least the areas that are most exposed to rock chips. Common coverage for clear bra is the the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, rocker panels, lower portions of the doors, in front and behind the rear wheel opening and a rear trunk strip to protect against the items being loaded and unloaded from the vehicle.

For folks on a budget that want the highest wear areas protected, coverage can be reserved for just the leading edge of the hood, fenders and the full front bumper. There are a few draw backs to the partial coverage. Partial coverage will mean you have an edge of the film exposed towards the front or middle of the hood and fenders. What's more, partial coverage still leaves a large portion of the hood and fenders unprotected along with an unsightly line across the front of the vehicle.

Where partial front end coverage may be acceptable to you, for some, they find out after the installation that they wish they’d gone with full front end coverage. Whether the catalyst for feeling this way is the line or a new rock chip on those exposed areas, the end result is you having spent hundreds of dollars and wishing you’d have had the full front end coverage installed. For clients that call us for clear bra installation in Atlanta, we advise that they get the most they feel comfortable spending on clear bra. We’ve not yet had a client express displeasure with the protection and looks the full coverage offers.

Most of our clients opt for full clear bra coverage because of the peace of mind it offers and the ongoing eased maintenance knowing they will not swirl of the actual finish of the car.

It is not unusual for rocker panels and areas near the wheel wells to see an extraordinary amount of rock chips and damage from the road. Cars with wide fenders and/or tires that have tread exposed beyond the wheel well are especially prone to damage. We layer a thicker, 20 mil thick film, over the absolute harshest areas. These strips can be removed once damaged to the point of being unsightly and replaced without having to replace the large and expensive underlying clear bra sections. This gives incredible protection while giving a modular-like replacement option for the ongoing wear and tear.

From what I’ve seen, different parts of the US have different market standards when it comes to installation. Some areas are prone to only have custom installers who do not use precision computer cut pieces and some only use computer cut pieces. In some areas, it’s common to wrap all available edges and others not. What appears to be typical is that wrapping edges carries additional costs due to the added labor and the more custom the installation, when paired with a skilled craftsman, adds cost. It is one of those cases of you get what you pay for in most circumstances. I advise you find the best in your area and they may be more expensive. But getting it done right, without damage to your $160,000 vehicle is pretty important.

2. When layering Modesta over clear bra you will end up with an incredible gloss and a finish that is much easier to wash and keep clean. Visiting your Modesta installation facility at least once per year for a check-up service will allow you to only have to use your easy-to-use maintenance sprays. These sprays will keep your coating in tiptop condition. Modesta is like anything else really...you will get out of it what you put into it in terms of care. Modesta is designed to reward proper care with a finish that looks better for longer and is easy to keep clean. I would suggest you look into having BC-06 applied to your wheels and calipers as well though. It will make long term with removing the brake dust a breeze! There truly is nothing else quite like Modesta BC-06 for wheels and calipers.

3. What kind of protectant are you talking about for the leather? Do you mean the factory urethane coating? That is a part of about 99% of all leather interiors for seats. It is similar to the clear coat for your paint, but for leather. When Modesta's 2-part Leather Protection System is applied to leather seats, it is designed to actually protect that urethane topcoat. The LPS-01 is a base coat designed to offer chemical and stain resistance. It makes the surfaces easier to clean up and less prone to staining. The LPS-02 is there as a topcoat for the outer bolsters. It offers an abrasion resistance that greatly minimizes physical wear. When paired together, they give a leather seat what we feel is the best protection possible. For my shop, we reapply the topcoat to the outer bolsters in that yearly visit as a part of the service.

It is important to understand that leather protection and coatings are different from paint coatings. Modesta paint coatings form a hard glass-layer that expands and contracts just enough with the substrate. Leather surfaces are very dynamic. There is no way to make the exact same type of membrane for such a dynamic surface. So, while Modesta's Leather Protection System (LPS-01 and LPS-02) is what we recognize as the best of the best in terms of leather protection, nothing will make your leather invincible. Again, you will get out of it what you put into it in terms of care.

4. I am unsure of the question but I am familiar with the screen protectors. We offer them and people love it.

5. Our clients love our 100% ceramic tint which offers industry leading heat rejection while not requiring a "limo-style" dark tint to get it. We've installed many Blackvue 2-channel(forward and reverse facing) dashcams with great feedback. As I mentioned prior, the Modesta BC-06 on the wheels and calipers is awesome. For the last 2 months I have been layering BC-08 over BC-06 on the wheels and calipers and I and my clients LOVE it. Though, it is a bit opulent and will no doubt cost more than just BC-06(for dark satin wheels it really does give an awesome luster). Paint correction may be required but if you're going to a Modesta installation facility, you are 100% sure to get a paint correction expert on your car as that is part of the requirements to become a Modesta installation dealer.

My main advice is this:
Get the best you feel comfortable to spend on. Like most things in life you will likely get what you pay for. You are not getting a $160,000 Model X because you wanted a cheap SUV to haul the family around in. Why get anything less than the best to get it protected and make it look even more beautiful?

I hope this helps you. Feel free to fire off any more questions you may have and I will do my best to help out. ;)

When Modesta's 2-part Leather Protection System is applied to leather seats, it is designed to actually protect that urethane topcoat. The LPS-01 is a base coat designed to offer chemical and stain resistance. It makes the surfaces easier to clean up and less prone to staining. The LPS-02 is there as a topcoat for the outer bolsters. It offers an abrasion resistance that greatly minimizes physical wear. When paired together, they give a leather seat what we feel is the best protection possible. For my shop, we reapply the topcoat to the outer bolsters in that yearly visit as a part of the service.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Follow-up question on the Modesta Leather protection, does it change the look/feel of the leather? I'm getting the white seats and wondering if i'd be able to notice a difference. I like the look and feel of the white seats, and I'm worried the modesta protection will make them feel like plastic or slippery?

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Follow-up question on the Modesta Leather protection, does it change the look/feel of the leather? I'm getting the white seats and wondering if i'd be able to notice a difference. I like the look and feel of the white seats, and I'm worried the modesta protection will make them feel like plastic or slippery?

No it does not. Request your installer to demonstrate this for you.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your helpful articles. A few questions for you:

1. What do you think of 3M pro?

2. I live on the other side of the world so I unfortunately cannot use your service. I understand the importance of a good installer. Other than reading reviews, what are tips to figure out how good they are? Are there some good questions to ask?

3. Are windshield protections such as clearplex useful?

Thanks a ton.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your helpful articles. A few questions for you:

1. What do you think of 3M pro?

2. I live on the other side of the world so I unfortunately cannot use your service. I understand the importance of a good installer. Other than reading reviews, what are tips to figure out how good they are? Are there some good questions to ask?

3. Are windshield protections such as clearplex useful?

Thanks a ton.

Thank you for the kind words!

1. I do not like it. But if the best installer in your area uses it, roll with it.
2. Go see their work and interview the shop.
3. Can be, yes. The value proposition is different for everyone on those.

Like everyone, I want to thank you for sharing...

I have a few questions,

1. I am looking at Xpel paint protection... When I start looking at prices, it is about 1700 for hood, front quarter panels, mirrors, front bumper... then if I add the doors, it's +1600, and +800 for the back stuff. that adds up to about 4100. However a full coverage wrap is 6k. Since I have the pano roof, it seems like the only thing extra that the full coverage is adding is a few strips around the edge of the sunroof. Since I have gotten several quotes for this, and they all have about the same breakdown (some with higher prices, but all proportionate) I figure I am missing something... Thoughts?
  2. I have heard some things about not getting the XPEL washed at a drive through wash, that it needs hand washing. is that true? what is the risk there? I am generally not a guy who likes washing my car much, does this mean I would be better off NOT getting XPEL? Thoughts?

Like everyone, I want to thank you for sharing...

I have a few questions,

1. I am looking at Xpel paint protection... When I start looking at prices, it is about 1700 for hood, front quarter panels, mirrors, front bumper... then if I add the doors, it's +1600, and +800 for the back stuff. that adds up to about 4100. However a full coverage wrap is 6k. Since I have the pano roof, it seems like the only thing extra that the full coverage is adding is a few strips around the edge of the sunroof. Since I have gotten several quotes for this, and they all have about the same breakdown (some with higher prices, but all proportionate) I figure I am missing something... Thoughts?
  2. I have heard some things about not getting the XPEL washed at a drive through wash, that it needs hand washing. is that true? what is the risk there? I am generally not a guy who likes washing my car much, does this mean I would be better off NOT getting XPEL? Thoughts?

It's my pleasure.

1. How can I say this? .... Some industry people understand how to perform the work, some understand business and very few understand how those 2 work together. Personally, I see a $6,000-$7,000 full wrap as a reasonable price for a great installation. Some guys hear other industry people talk, hearing "$6000-$8000 is about right for a full wrap" and then they use the wonky math with cheap full front wraps with cheap piece mealing sections and then end up where you are. They throw out cheap front end pricing to get work but they've not thought through how they really price things out and this kind of mishmash of pricing occurs.

Some of these guys are doing everything from running the business and answering phones to performing installations and cleaning toilets. When you call, they may be in the middle of a big project and throw out numbers or do whatever they can to zip information out as fast as possible. There are a number of reasons stuff like this happens and it usually starts with the fact they do not understand how to actually run a business and they are only technicians who act like they run a professional business. Pricing math should not be wonky for customers. I am sorry to hear you're encountering this.

2. In general, automated car washes that touch your car are horrible for them in every single way possible, including the health of your expensive clear bra wrap. Stay away from them at all cost. Some make the argument that touchless washes are okay. I am not a fan of them as the chemicals can be harsher than necessary. In the case of automated car washes, user-beware.

Thanks! so.. if I add up the costs to wrap the front, sides, and back of the car, I should come up with about the cost of the full wrap (for a model s with sunroof) or generally in that neighborhood at least. I was trying to figure out if there was something wonky about the roof that justified a value of more than the front end of the car.

re: washing, where I used to live (east coast) there were a bunch of places I could go and get a hand wash for about $50, it wasn't a detail, but it was much better than any machine wash I have used... I haven't seen anything like that around here yet.. sadly.

Thanks! so.. if I add up the costs to wrap the front, sides, and back of the car, I should come up with about the cost of the full wrap (for a model s with sunroof) or generally in that neighborhood at least. I was trying to figure out if there was something wonky about the roof that justified a value of more than the front end of the car.

re: washing, where I used to live (east coast) there were a bunch of places I could go and get a hand wash for about $50, it wasn't a detail, but it was much better than any machine wash I have used... I haven't seen anything like that around here yet.. sadly.

You have Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue, WA. They are sponsors and I happen to know they do incredible work. Give them a shout, ask for John and tell him Jean-Claude told you to give him a call. ;)

Thanks, i spoke with them already, they sound great, but their cheapest detail is $295.

If they give you the best, make your already expensive car feels like new and it's done in a way that is not harmful to the surfaces, why not go ahead and spend a bit more to get the best? To me, it's the difference in getting something that is 100% right when I spend money and something that I feel like is 10-20% wrong when I save some money. For me, I always hate not getting something 100% right when dropping coin.

Obviously, I do not get anything from you going to them but I like hearing guys that do great work get new clients as it supports a model that is not common in my industry.

If they give you the best, make your already expensive car feels like new and it's done in a way that is not harmful to the surfaces, why not go ahead and spend a bit more to get the best? To me, it's the difference in getting something that is 100% right when I spend money and something that I feel like is 10-20% wrong when I save some money. For me, I always hate not getting something 100% right when dropping coin.

Obviously, I do not get anything from you going to them but I like hearing guys that do great work get new clients as it supports a model that is not common in my industry.

No argument here, and I recommend them to others based on what I hear... but for a regular "car wash" from someone, I just can't afford a few hundred per month.

So, while I agree that I would rather spend more for a better job, sometimes you just don't have it.

Would you be so kind as to clarify what you mean by "shampoo" when discussing clay bar treatment? I'm thinking Head & Shoulders is not that to which you're referring....

Okay, more seriously. My pickup trucks &c get laved with warm water and non-scented Dawn dish detergent, as that crowd believes its surfactants are gentle enough to be appropriate for auto paint. For the vehicles we discuss on this forum: Yes, No, or Run Away Quickly?