Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ask Service Center to do alignment before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be taking delivery of an S85 at the end of March with 21" wheels, and given the number of posts regarding poor alignment leading to excessive tire wear (particularly on the 21s) due to excess toe-out, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to pre-emptively deal with it. Should I ask my DS to have the car's alignment checked prior to taking delivery?

Not sure if this belongs in this subforum or the Delivery sub, but mods feel free to move if I put this in the wrong place.

My garage is convinced that there was a bad alignment, but Tesla is saying the tires only last 12K miles. But the garage is saying maybe that is the true number but the wear pattern is way way off. He is going to even keep the tires as evidence while it is into Tesla service for the 12K thing where they will align the new tires.

12k miles is pretty good for the 21" Conti tires. Maybe keep a close eye on tread pattern and when you rotate for the first time at 5,000 miles or so have then do alignment then if they won't do it with delivery.

I'll be taking delivery of an S85 at the end of March with 21" wheels, and given the number of posts regarding poor alignment leading to excessive tire wear (particularly on the 21s) due to excess toe-out, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to pre-emptively deal with it. Should I ask my DS to have the car's alignment checked prior to taking delivery?

Not sure if this belongs in this subforum or the Delivery sub, but mods feel free to move if I put this in the wrong place.
Like you, I was very concerned about this same thing. I thought perhaps it was due to the tie-downs they use on the vehicles in transit. Maybe they are aligned properly at the factory but due to the tie-downs...I asked for an alignment at delivery but was told the Service Center in Atlanta did not even have an alignment machine. They send the vehicles out for alignments. That was really a disappointment! I took delivery at the beginning of December last year and so far all looks AOK on my car.

Just keep an eye on tire wear and measure the remaining tread occasionally. You don't have to wait until the tires are ruined before the SC will do an alignment. As soon as I measured uneven wear I took it to the Dallas SC and they did a warranty alignment. They installed the camber bolts and got the camber down from -1.9/-2 1 dgr to -1.3/-1.6. They also found 0 toe-in and corrected it.

Like you, I was very concerned about this same thing. I thought perhaps it was due to the tie-downs they use on the vehicles in transit. Maybe they are aligned properly at the factory but due to the tie-downs...I asked for an alignment at delivery but was told the Service Center in Atlanta did not even have an alignment machine. They send the vehicles out for alignments. That was really a disappointment! I took delivery at the beginning of December last year and so far all looks AOK on my car.
Mine was factory pickup and alignment was off fairly early in the tires lifespan.