Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ask The Audience: What Did Elon Mean?

What did Elon mean with his "~8th circle" tweet?

• Close to coming out of hell

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • Still deep in hell

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Pass me the whiskey

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The proof that he means 8/9ths through hell is that he uses the approximation symbol before '8th circle'. 'Approximately' implies a degree, not a location. You can't be approximately in the 8th circle of hell - you're either in it or you're not. And I'm pretty sure Elon both knows what the approximation symbol means and has read Dante's Inferno. He's saying they're approximately 8/9ths through hell.

• Helpful
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
The proof that he means 8/9ths through hell is that he uses the approximation symbol before '8th circle'. 'Approximately' implies a degree, not a location. You can't be approximately in the 8th circle of hell - you're either in it or you're not. And I'm pretty sure Elon both knows what the approximation symbol means and has read Dante's Inferno. He's saying they're approximately 8/9ths through hell.
Agreed. You could only estimate that if you knew you only had a couple items left to fix. The alternative is that you are 1/9 through. Who would even put up that statistic? That is basically the same as saying there are so many problems you have no clue when it ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Right. You could only estimate that if you knew you only had a couple items left to fix. The alternative is that you are 1/9 through. Who would even put up that statistic? That is basically the same as saying there are so many problems you have no clue when it ends.
The 9th circle of hell is considered the last circle. So 8/9 would be Dante's interpretation. And I'm going with that's Elon's, too. He's probably amused by how much conversation that tweet has caused.

Oh look, squirrel!

I wonder why Elon would pick this phrase. Does he believe Dante or something?

In Dante’s version of hell, categories of sin are punished in different circles, with the depth of the circle (and placement within that circle) symbolic of the amount of punishment to be inflicted. Nine circles in total.

As the eighth of nine circles, Malebolge is one of the worst places in hell to be. In it, sinners guilty of "simple" fraud are punished (that is, fraud that is committed without particularly malicious intent, whereas Malicious or "compound" fraud — fraud that goes against bond of love, blood, honor, or the bond of hospitality — would be punished in the ninth circle). Sinners of this category include counterfeiters, hypocrites, grafters, seducers, sorcerers and simonists.

Bolgia Eight: In this trench, the souls of Deceivers who gave false or corrupted advice to others for personal benefit are punished. They are constantly ablaze, appearing as nothing so much as living, speaking tongues of flame.

I wonder why Elon would pick this phrase. Does he believe Dante or something?

From Wikipedia:

In Dante’s version of hell, categories of sin are punished in different circles, with the depth of the circle (and placement within that circle) symbolic of the amount of punishment to be inflicted. Nine circles in total.

As the eighth of nine circles, Malebolge is one of the worst places in hell to be. In it, sinners guilty of "simple" fraud are punished (that is, fraud that is committed without particularly malicious intent, whereas Malicious or "compound" fraud — fraud that goes against bond of love, blood, honor, or the bond of hospitality — would be punished in the ninth circle). Sinners of this category include counterfeiters, hypocrites, grafters, seducers, sorcerers and simonists.

Bolgia Eight: In this trench, the souls of Deceivers who gave false or corrupted advice to others for personal benefit are punished. They are constantly ablaze, appearing as nothing so much as living, speaking tongues of flame.
I fixed it for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
People may not be aware of Dante's 9 circles of hell. The 9th one is the last. @Etna's interpretation is almost assuredly correct, with Elon saying they're almost through the different levels of hell.
Bonnie is correct. Elon was referencing Dante and communicating with a metaphor, the way much of human communication is done. No mystery here. Of course Elon does not believe in the literal idea of hell. Nor do I. But it is a useful metaphor.

I think it's time for a sing-a-long.

Thinkin'
Steve Forbert
Well don't ya go thinkin', and thinkin', and thinkin'
And thinkin' so much 'till you're stranded behind
Don't ya go thinkin', and thinkin', and thinkin'
And thinkin' so much 'till you're losin' your mind
There's so many depressions all plowed in your brain
Trace 'em too far, and they'll drive you insane
You're twisted so tight now, you hardly can talk
Get out in the daylight and go for a walk
And don't you go thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin' and
Thinkin' so much 'til you're stranded behind
Don't you go thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin' and
Thinkin' so much till you're losin' your mind
All the tension inside has gone through to your face
You're flashin' your madness all over the place
You stand in the hallway and try to explain
I look in your eyes; I see shackles and chains, aw…
Hey don't you go thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin' and
Thinkin' so much till you're losin' your mind
You're chasin' some notion you've misunderstood
You're tryin' so hard; can't you tell it's no good?
You analyze everything into a "No"
You're fallin' apart, you got nothing to show
Hey, ya, ya, oh
No, don't you go thinkin' and thinkin' and thinkin' and
Thinkin' so much till you're losin' your mind, aw