Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking: Best Advice / Practice For Nem 2.0 Socal Edison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoBoRaT

PoPeYeD'SaiLoRDuDe
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Tesla Energy Team,

I am about to get PTO under SCE NEM 2.0 - and so far have some good gouge here about how NEM 2.0 works.

My projected generation is 16000 kWh annually, which is about 80% of my need.

I will likely be a net consumer in the NEXT 2 years since I drive my Model 3, 160 miles to work per day - which I re-charge (40 kWh per) at off peak rate.

Currently on TOU-D-B, but only until 2020 then likely switch to TOU D Prime.

What would you advice, to get the best of solar production with Powerwalls on NEM 2.0?

I appreciate any insight about fees (like NBCs, Generation Compensation/Credit, True-Up Sum) or anything at all to get the best of the solar powerplant under NEM 2.0.

Thanks and More Power to Ya'll! ;)

How come you plan on switching from TOU-D-B to TOU-D-PRIME in 2020? Are they kicking you out? I think if you are PTO on TOU-D-B then they need to grandfather you until July 31st 2022.

The 2pm-8pm peak is much better for solar production. You will lose 2 hours of peak pricing generation with the 4pm-9pm window. And that is significant since non-peak to peak pricing is 2X+.

You have powerwalls though, so that will affect how much you have in excess generation. Do you know how much solar is used to charge the powerwalls and how much would be sold to the grid? Did you install powerwalls for backup or did you have plans in doing time shifting to optimize cost?

Last edited:
I asked SCE, and said I will have pick one of the new TOU rates come 2020 - no mention of grandfathering until 2022. I mosdef want to stay at TOU-D-B.

Do you have details about grandfathering to 2022?

I will use the PowerWalls for time shifting, sell high - buy low.

On a good solar day, my system produces ~70 kWh. The PW sucks ~26 kWh to fully charge. My daily consumption averages 75 kWh on weekday (driving/charging EV 160 miles), maybe 30 kWh on weekends.

I asked SCE, and said I will have pick one of the new TOU rates come 2020 - no mention of grandfathering until 2022. I mosdef want to stay at TOU-D-B.

Do you have details about grandfathering to 2022?

SCE Grandfathered Rate Plans

There is a FAQ for "Will I have to change my rate plan" that mentions 2020, but also "Some customers with grandfathered solar generating facilities may be allowed to stay on longer, depending on the date their solar system was activated."

This article mentions the grandfathering period to 2022 for NEM2 customers.
SCE's "Final Decision" Rates, Part 1: Residential Rate Changes

That article could be wrong though. The latest CPUC ruling I could find on this mentions eligibility of TOU grandfather to solar systems with an interconnection request by Jan 31st 2017 and PTO by July 31st 2017.

Does SCE have a solar department where you can get clarification?

I think it is totally unfair that the utilities are allowed to change the rules so frequently. This makes it impossible to predict an ROI on solar. For something that usually takes 8-10 years under current rates to even break even, the CPUC really should have protected consumers by forcing grandfathering for at least 5 years from PTO. With new proposed TOU periods and rates it will stretch my ROI out by a few years and what is to prevent them from making it even worse in a few years? Like peak starting at 6pm. They already went from 2pm to 4pm start time.

Last edited:
I ask SCE for clarification, and see if they let me stay in TOU-D-B until 2022.

Yup, they keep changing the rates. I actually watch/listen to ETB before I have installed the soalr system and PW.
With the new rates, time RoI gets a longer and longer.

I ask SCE for clarification, and see if they let me stay in TOU-D-B until 2022.

Yup, they keep changing the rates. I actually watch/listen to ETB before I have installed the soalr system and PW.
With the new rates, time RoI gets a longer and longer.
Also see if you can switch to TOU-D-A while you're at it. Its peak rates pay back better than TOU-D-B, or TOU-EV-1.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Hi All,

Any updates on this? I called SCE last Friday and they told me that I will automatically change from TOU-D-A to the TOU-D-Prime (since I have the model 3) when I get my solar panels installed. I didn’t know about the SCE link about grandfathered rates until now. I don’t want to leave my current rate.

Hi All,

Any updates on this? I called SCE last Friday and they told me that I will automatically change from TOU-D-A to the TOU-D-Prime (since I have the model 3) when I get my solar panels installed. I didn’t know about the SCE link about grandfathered rates until now. I don’t want to leave my current rate.

Did that happen? Did they automatically switch you once you got your PTO?

Did that happen? Did they automatically switch you once you got your PTO?

No, not yet. I'm still waiting on PTO. Coincidentally, I called them again earlier today and the representative told me that I will be moved automatically to TOU-D-4-9PM when I get my PTO. Then I can apply to change it to TOU-D-PRIME since I have a Tesla vehicle.

This really sucks.

I recently got PTO last month, was already on grand fathered TOU-D-B for one year before Solar/PW install.
So far they have kept me on TOU-D-B.
This is inline from what SCE told me, that I will be kept on TOU-D-B.
Until when, I do not know - I have not asked.

SCE Grandfathered Rate Plans

There is a FAQ for "Will I have to change my rate plan" that mentions 2020, but also "Some customers with grandfathered solar generating facilities may be allowed to stay on longer, depending on the date their solar system was activated."

This article mentions the grandfathering period to 2022 for NEM2 customers.
SCE's "Final Decision" Rates, Part 1: Residential Rate Changes

That article could be wrong though. The latest CPUC ruling I could find on this mentions eligibility of TOU grandfather to solar systems with an interconnection request by Jan 31st 2017 and PTO by July 31st 2017.

Does SCE have a solar department where you can get clarification?

I think it is totally unfair that the utilities are allowed to change the rules so frequently. This makes it impossible to predict an ROI on solar. For something that usually takes 8-10 years under current rates to even break even, the CPUC really should have protected consumers by forcing grandfathering for at least 5 years from PTO. With new proposed TOU periods and rates it will stretch my ROI out by a few years and what is to prevent them from making it even worse in a few years? Like peak starting at 6pm. They already went from 2pm to 4pm start time.

Thanks for this information. I am on a domestic tiered rate under NEM 1.0 (activated solar city lease in 2015), and SCE keeps "randomly selecting" me to "move to a time of use rate". I am not currently sure how long I am grandfathered into this rate. Using SCEs own "rate comparison tool" it shows that my charges would increase under ANY of the TOU rates (4-9, 5-8, Prime) over 1k a year more than they are now.

I oversized my system in 2015 when I got it because I planned to get an EV (a tesla actually). I didnt actually get it until the end of 2018, but prior to that I was generating about 110% of what i used, yearly. This will be my first year with an EV, but I love it... and am concerned about how long I will get to keep my rates the way they are.

I want a powerwall, but will not get it until AFTER my NEM 1.0 grandfathering ends, because I have been told that "any" change will make me have to get off my current plan.

I want a powerwall, but will not get it until AFTER my NEM 1.0 grandfathering ends, because I have been told that "any" change will make me have to get off my current plan.

NEM grandfathering and TOU are separate. NEM is 20 years from PTO (from your solar). TOU is 5 years, but you weren't on TOU, so your rate will change by late 2020. You can stay on NEM 1.0 and add up to 2 PWs. I did it, the limit is 10kW storage, which is 2 PWs. You should select PRIME and use your PWs to offset any peak consumption. This also give you the option to charge your EV anytime (except 4-9PM when the rates are highest).

NEM grandfathering and TOU are separate. NEM is 20 years from PTO (from your solar). TOU is 5 years, but you weren't on TOU, so your rate will change by late 2020. You can stay on NEM 1.0 and add up to 2 PWs. I did it, the limit is 10kW storage, which is 2 PWs. You should select PRIME and use your PWs to offset any peak consumption. This also give you the option to charge your EV anytime (except 4-9PM when the rates are highest).

Thanks for the information. right now, TOU Prime shows as being 1200 more a year than what I have through their comparison tool, but I dont have powerwalls. I was planning on (2) powerwalls, but dont want to change my plan until I have to. sorry for the thread hiijack OP.

• Informative
The SCE rate comparison tool is not very accurate, especially with solar and definitely with PWs. All they do is take your current usage and apply the new rates. With PWs, you effectively eliminate the 4-9 peak so it won't be that high. You'll have to look at your own usage and the new rates to see the real difference.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The SCE rate comparison tool is not very accurate, especially with solar and definitely with PWs. All they do is take your current usage and apply the new rates. With PWs, you effectively eliminate the 4-9 peak so it won't be that high. You'll have to look at your own usage and the new rates to see the real difference.

@power.saver

I wanted to circle back and thank you directly again for taking the time to post your thoughts to my questions, especially since this was a "thread hijaack" (although unintended ) by me. Your information helped me make the decision to move forward with ordering 2 powerwalls now. I ordered a few days after this post exchange, and checking pricing between tesla and 2 other third party installers.

Thanks again!

• Funny