Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking Elon Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you plan to utilize your metal-air patents in the model S or any future car?

I was very interested in this particular question and did mine research on it (plus I'm trying to follow battery advances regardless).

For now only one rechargeable metal-air chemistry has been commercialized: zinc-air. This year. And if you look at all Tesla's metal air patents, zinc-air is the chemistry Tesla mentioning on first place, while listing potential metal air chemistries applicable.

There are seems to be two big problems with metal air:

1) While those have excellent specific energy (gravimetric energy density), power density is extremely low. This could be partly circumvented by having a hybrid battery design. And in fact at least one Tesla patent talking about such design with regards to metal air. Basically EV would have big main battery, big metal-air and smaller one that have high power density for short burst(acceleration, regenerative braking). Still looks like for Model S class EV it would have to be equipped with north of 300kWh metal air battery to be able to sustain highway speeds.

2) Very low coulombic efficiency. One startup proudly claimed that they have archived 75%. And looks like it is an achievement, they were/are trying to differentiate themselves from competitors in the field. Even making that number public speaks for itself - I guess competing metal air designs get worse then that. Still - from each 4kWh that spent charging EV only 3kWh would be extracted.

While zinc-air is clearly a leader in metal air rechargeable battery field (in terms of how soon we will actually see real cells on the market), mine impression is that both problems do apply to other air chemistries, like aluminum-air, lithium-air.

So mine educated guess would be that at least first generation of metal air cells would probably be not very suitable for EV applications. At least for cells that actually have a chance to be mass produced in next two to four years.

Elon,

• Can you confirm this image as a Tesla?
  • 2642615338_85f78fda76.jpg
  • What is Phase Current Amplification?
  • Can you put just one $1,500 Roadster 70A HPC at each Supercharge site? You could even put a Model S plug on it and offer a plug swap for our Roadsters? And rumor is the new Mercedes with be compatible with your Superstation network. Do you plan to offer it to any manufacture who wants access?
  • Can you reveal to us ....your biggest Tesla supporters.... the real name for the Gen lll?
  • Bonus fun questions:
  • On colonizing Mars you estimated that of there will be eight billion humans living on Earth by the time a colony is possible. And perhaps one in 100,000 would be prepared to go. That equates to potentially 80,000 red planet-migrants. How many customers lost do you figure that is? :)
  • You once said that people do crazy sh*t with their cars. Do you have any stories you would like to share?

Is there an estimate for when the NHTSA ratings of the Model S will be complete and published?

If I recall correctly I contacted nhtsa with this question a few months ago and they said they were taking possession of an S in spring/summer and the rating would be released summer/fall.

- - - Updated - - -

My q's (mostly from an investor's perspective, I'd be very appreciative if someone going to Teslive can ask one of these):

Tesla is pretty overvalued right now on a fundamental basis, so if there was a major market downturn or the CEO (you) got in an accident, it could really be devastating to the stock price. Assuming that in a few years the fundamentals will begin to catch up with the stock price as volume and profit grows, is there anything that can be done to mitigate the negative possibilities in the meantime?

Tesla and Solar City obviously have some common interests, which seem to pair nicely. How do you see that relationship developing in time? Do you see SpaceX mingling in some ways too? Has there already been a lot of commonalities between SpaceX and Tesla just in how you run the companies or do R&D?

Seems like the pickup truck market is kind of the Holy Grail for auto makers. Do you see this trend continuing? Would it make more sense for Gen III vehicle to be a truck instead of a sedan?

What is the sales environment for Model S looking like in Asia/China, is there governmental support/opposition?

Fun q's:

What do you think Tesla will look like in 10 years, 20?

What excites you most about where Tesla is heading?

Is there a previously never been done before feature that you are looking forward to putting into Teslas?

Whatever the case is, I think we should avoid giving Elon loaded questions or questions that we all can probably guess that the answer is one he would want to keep secret until a future date/time (or something that would affect the stock price, etc.)

I would like to tap his brain haha.. Some questions in general:

1) If it were only up to you, describe how you would (re-)design production and consumption of domestic and industrial energy (including steel industry and such).
2) Obviously, distributed generation plays a major role when using solar. How would you solve the problem of reduced tax incomes from energy taxes in the short and the long term?
3) What is your view on the use of natural gas? And should all uses of natural gas be replaced by biogas or electricity-based systems?
4) I probably know how to do the supersonic electric (vtol) plane you proposed. Would you help fund and advise in such a project?
5) Can you borrow me a P+ until the stock rises sufficiently for me to buy one myself? Thanks in advance

Regarding super swapping, what will keep someone in 5 years from going to a super station swapping there "aged" pack for a newer one?

Will super swapping allow 60 kwh cars to use 80 kwh battery packs for travel? If so what is keeping a 60 owner from swapping with an 80 and not returning.

With smaller platforms gen III are you planning super swapping being an option?

Would it make more sense for Gen III vehicle to be a truck instead of a sedan?
I can answer this one, no. The weight and aerodynamics of a pickup truck will be much worse than a sedan, which means the pack would have to be significantly larger to meet acceptable range numbers, which means it would have to be more expensive, which rather fails the whole point of marketing a mass market EV at an affordable price with acceptable range.

- - - Updated - - -

I can answer these as well.
Regarding super swapping, what will keep someone in 5 years from going to a super station swapping there "aged" pack for a newer one?
Nothing, as long as they are willing to pay the price difference between the old pack and the new one. You can always elect to keep the swapped pack in place of your original pack, if you pay the difference. If in fact somehow your pack is actually newer than a swapped pack, (unlikely), you get a refund or credit.
Will super swapping allow 60 kwh cars to use 80 kwh battery packs for travel?
Not sure but I'd expect so.
If so what is keeping a 60 owner from swapping with an 80 and not returning.
Money. See my first response.
With smaller platforms gen III are you planning super swapping being an option?
He's already said it may not be needed for the G3. Remember swapping is basically a limited experiment they are running to gauge actual demand and use.

Regarding the secret Tesla Motors master plan. We know that the Tesla Roadster (2008-2012) was step 1, and that the Tesla Model S (2012-????) and the Tesla Model X (2014-????) both belong to step 2.

At the moment I can think of these questions:

My first question: "After the Tesla EV's on the "Generation 3 platform" (2016/2017-????), will there also be Tesla EV's on the "Generation 4 platform" that will result in even cheaper Tesla EV's?"

My second question: "Can you give us your rough guess regarding in what year the first Tesla EV on the "Generation 4 platform" might be manufactured?"

My third question: "Can you give us your rough guess regarding what the starting price of the base model of the Tesla EV on the "Generation 4 platform" then might be?"

My fourth question: "When do you think that Tesla Motors will begin with releasing their MONTHLY sales figures like most of the car manufacturers already do?"

JRP3

Thanks for all the answers, I suppose I missed and article or interview regarding details on swapping? I think it would be ill advised to continue with swapping on gen 3 as the tech for supercharging should only keep increasing. Just to throw this out there, if i have a 60kwh car, i give tesla a prepaid debit for the charge what can they charge the difference too if i do not return the pack? I would never do this but would not put it past someone as that is 10k value. Then again if that happened i suppose tesla could just disable the car.

1. Will a J1772 fast DC adapter be made available at some point?
  2. Will a jumper cable be made available to allow one car to give another car a quick DC charge?
  3. Will a J1772 adapter be made available for the supply end of the UMC at some point? (UMC used as an extension cable)
  4. Will the Chademo adapter be made available to owners in North America at some point?

Good point on the truck JRP. although I could see a short range truck making sense for some people, so maybe they could do a tiered battery sizes like with the S with the lower range one at a really affordable price level. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Will they ever come out with some nice looking aero rims? (Not like the ones they were initially going to offer).

- - - Updated - - -

Good point on the truck JRP. although I could see a short range truck making sense for some people...
Sure, I'd love one, but I don't see that fitting into the Tesla plan for a long time, if ever. In fact I'm so sure of it I'm collecting parts to build my own :smile: I think if they eventually do a truck battery tech will have advanced enough that it will have good range, but it won't be within 3-4 years.

Thanks Simon,

Yes here is the page where Siry confirmed it.

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/07/07/is-tesla-using-dodge-magnum-body-shells-for-white-star-mules/

I totally forgot. I was trying to think of a Tesla "historical" question for Elon to fill in gaps that we don't know about in Tesla's growth. Anyone have another? Seems most of the juicy stuff is why people are no longer there (like Siry) but those kind of questions might be awkward to ask in front of a crowd.