Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking for some advice as a new buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am brand new to this community! I put a deposit down for a Model Y last night and I must admit I'm feeling... bittersweet about it. As happy as I am about purchasing a Tesla I cannot help but think, "Am I making a mistake?" I have been dying to get a Tesla for several years, especially in terms of trying to help the planet in some small way, but I have been stopping myself because I wanted something slightly bigger than the Model 3 but not as expensive as the Model X. For anyone reading this post, I would like some advice and/or assurance regarding two details for this order:

1) Although Tesla claims this is an SUV, it is still really small. I ordered the 7-seat option, mostly thinking that it would be nice to have 7 seats in case of an emergency, but I'll more than likely keep the third row folded down most of the time. Considering how small the Model Y is, do you think it was a mistake to order it with 7 seats?

2) I am a year shy of 30 years old and I am trying to forge a new career working at home. At this exact moment in my life, I do not make a whole lot of money, but I am debt free and I own my house without any mortgage, plus I have a sizeable savings. (Around the 200k mark.) I am married with one boy, not really looking to have more children, and my wife works as well as attends college, so we do have a little income. My hope was that for the next two years I save enough from our income to pay for as much of the car as possible and then dip into my savings for the rest. I know I can afford this car, but my concern is if I should be buying it while I am still trying to establish my career and my wife is going to school? Am I making a mistake?

I appreciate any and all who have spent the time reading my post. I am anxious to read your responses!

Welcome!

I can only offer an opinion on 1) since it is hard to advise on non-existing product that will be available sometime in future.

I would not go for 7-seater on any compact SUV or hatchback. There's only a handful of full-size SUVs that get the 7-seat configuration right (the car was designed from ground up to provide comfort in the 3rd row). It doesn't look to me like you have an immediate need for 7-seater. For the "emergency" cases, it is just easier to rent a proper car than drive that financial liability the whole year round. That's my take on it anyway. YMMV.

If there are only 3 in the family, I see no reason to have a 7 seat variant. Everything I have heard about Y 3rd row ways it is only for small children. But, perhaps it comes with a second A/C evaporator and controllable temps for the rear seats, like the X does in 6 and 7 seat variants.

We have a 5 seat X and never need any more seats because 99.99% of it me and my wife plus one of the kids, or me by myself.

Regarding the finances, only you can answer that. But one piece of advice I would add is that don't buy it if it means forgoing retirement savings. Compound interest over time is best friend when thinking about retirement. A $600/mo car payment invested can be several thousand more a month by the time your are 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: posity
Great if you can wait until the Model Y is available, and you don't need to buy a car until then.
The Model 3 is already a great car, but I wish it was a hatchback to make it more practical.

The 7 seats is certainly a good complementary option, while it might not be immediately available.
A 6 seats, providing better access and more legs rooms for the back seats would be my choice.

Anyway, now you have plenty of time for installing a plug.
I am just curious about which version (LR, 4WD, P) and color you selected.

Did you already tested any Tesla, or EVs before making your reservation.
And what kind of car you have or add making you deciding for the Model Y.

1. I had a bit of the same feeling. 3 months later the car is still amazing and worth it. I really am not sure how big it will be without testing it. The good news is you can cancel your order after you give it a test drive if you find it too small.

2. Well...buying a new car is never a smart financial decision. But money is for enjoying life, not hoarding. If you can afford it, cool. If you can't afford it, don't do it. It'd be hard for anyone else to answer this for you.

Great if you can wait until the Model Y is available, and you don't need to buy a car until then.
The Model 3 is already a great car, but I wish it was a hatchback to make it more practical.

The 7 seats is certainly a good complementary option, while it might not be immediately available.
A 6 seats, providing better access and more legs rooms for the back seats would be my choice.

Anyway, now you have plenty of time for installing a plug.
I am just curious about which version (LR, 4WD, P) and color you selected.

Did you already tested any Tesla, or EVs before making your reservation.
And what kind of car you have or add making you deciding for the Model Y.
Hey! I am driving a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2012 with 5 seats. It currently serves me well an I never feel like I need more space. I did a test drive in a Model 3 over the weekend, solidifying my decision even more in buying a Tesla. I got the Model Y Performance with black exterior and black interior. I chose to switch to 5 seats for now, especially because it will mean I get it a little sooner!

Reactions: Watts_Up
1. I had a bit of the same feeling. 3 months later the car is still amazing and worth it. I really am not sure how big it will be without testing it. The good news is you can cancel your order after you give it a test drive if you find it too small.

2. Well...buying a new car is never a smart financial decision. But money is for enjoying life, not hoarding. If you can afford it, cool. If you can't afford it, don't do it. It'd be hard for anyone else to answer this for you.
I love your answer to #2. I am feeling more and more stable about buying it, especially since I can afford it while having plenty of savings left over. I feel like I owe it to myself and the planet to get a new car that is good for me AND the environment.

I love your answer to #2. I am feeling more and more stable about buying it, especially since I can afford it while having plenty of savings left over. I feel like I owe it to myself and the planet to get a new car that is good for me AND the environment.

It was honestly a difficult decision for me. My last car was 12k lol. But I saved a big down payment and it's what I really wanted.

Model Y sounds perfect for you. Car will be inexpensive to maintain and the size sound appropriate for what you are wanting to do.

You have gotten good advice about the extra seats. Good place to put kids when friends come along, but that is not usually as often as you might think.

If you are thinking SUV or if you really need a SUV, then it will be really small. It is not a Ford Explorer or an Audi Q5 or even a BMW 3 Series. Its a grown-up maybe more teenage like Model 3 in size. Go sit in a Model 3 and if you absolutely do not like the 3, then you will unlikely like the Y.

Get the car. Do not get the extra seats (and do not fall for expensive options like "performance"). Then keep the car a long time. Owning it outright with low cost of fuel and maintenance will make your life easier. If you are working from home consider if you and your wife can manage with only one car.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a seven seater X, bought it when we had 3 kids. I now have 4 kids.
Before the X we had, still have a Lexus gs sedan. It was fine and worked most of the time but i wished it was a hatch.

Model 3 would work for you and your family even if you have more kids. But as you know having kids means strollers and bags. That's why I would would get the Y. It's a hatch and will feel roomier than the 3. I would also get the 7 seats, if you don't need them just fold them flat. It's a nice option to have when you do need it.

Like someone else said, don't need performance. Buy the biggest battery you can afford and AWD.

Congrats by the way 30 years old and no mortgage, good for you

Last edited: