Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking TM for a canadian pricing change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

I witnessed 4 price hikes in the last 2 years. Mostly due to the canadian dollar... or I should say the US dollar increase. In fact, the US dollar gained ground on most international currencies.

As you might know the formula for the canadian pricing is simple. US pricing + 6.1% import duty (more that 55% of the car is from outside US/CAn/Mex) + exchange rate + 1-2% for other fees.

My point is that since the US currency gained ground on most currencies in the world, Tesla Motors should adjust the formula to calculate the canadian pricing (and international pricing) to account for where they source their parts (Germany, Japan, Canada...). If TM wants to continue to sell internationally, it has to adjust its prices.

I priced a new 90D with roof, winter climate, air suspension and it's a 140k + tax car (ok minus 8k). That's a hefty price. In the exotic range. TM will not change the world if they continue down that route.

Couldn't agree more.

We bought oir 90D in October 2015 here in Ontario. Paid 126k (lease) before a 4K discount and $8500 from the province(which I received 2 weeks ago) and 1k for the charger install. It was barely justified then and looking forward I will not be getting into another model S 2.5 years from now. They are pricing themselves out of the market. It is simply going to become a boutique luxury car certainly if it continues down the same road it's on now. It's missing some bare necessities that are on standard on cars costing 1/5 as much like adjustable seat belts for height, ventilated seats, iPod integration at least (CarPlay would be better) a half baked app which should allow remote seat heat activation, and not having to go 3 menus deep to turn on the heated steering wheel etc.

Sorry about out the rant but these small things tend to add up and tend to weigh down the otherwise stellar driving experience, especially when you consider that by the time my lease is over I'm sure other Mfg's will have some form of autopilot out

Guys,

I witnessed 4 price hikes in the last 2 years. Mostly due to the canadian dollar... or I should say the US dollar increase. In fact, the US dollar gained ground on most international currencies.

As you might know the formula for the canadian pricing is simple. US pricing + 6.1% import duty (more that 55% of the car is from outside US/CAn/Mex) + exchange rate + 1-2% for other fees.

My point is that since the US currency gained ground on most currencies in the world, Tesla Motors should adjust the formula to calculate the canadian pricing (and international pricing) to account for where they source their parts (Germany, Japan, Canada...). If TM wants to continue to sell internationally, it has to adjust its prices.

I priced a new 90D with roof, winter climate, air suspension and it's a 140k + tax car (ok minus 8k). That's a hefty price. In the exotic range. TM will not change the world if they continue down that route.

Hasn't Tesla kept the price increases somewhat less than the fall of the Canadian dollar? What's the ratio of the same car in Canada vs the US - I am guessing that it is substantially less than the 1.345 ratio of the currencies, and that is even ignoring the duty.

Hasn't Tesla kept the price increases somewhat less than the fall of the Canadian dollar? What's the ratio of the same car in Canada vs the US - I am guessing that it is substantially less than the 1.345 ratio of the currencies, and that is even ignoring the duty.

They have, we watched it until we found the largest gap back in Nov then we ordered. With the duty and FX its still cheaper here then south of the boarder. Thats not lost on the American Tesla buyers, there have been posts about it. At the end of the day Tesla makes more $ for $ when they sell it in the US as they are the ones taking the discount hit on sales.

TM will not change the world if they continue down that route.

The Model S is not for the masses. Regardless of the exchange rate, it has a price tag the vast majority of people can't afford. So the fact that your configuration has gone from $110k to $140k with recent price increases means very little to Tesla's mission.

The Model 3's price will be similar to looking at the price difference between a Leaf in the States and in Canada, or most other vehicles for that matter. Also, by the time the 3 is released, I predict our dollar will be up around 80 or 85 cents with gas at $50 to $60 barrel and climbing.