Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asleep if open trunk first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago I noticed a seemingly intermittent behavior that I had not seen previously. I bought the M3 in mid-October. Prior to a few weeks ago, virtually every time I would walk up to the driver door with my iPhone X in my pocket, I could open the door, get in, and drive away. Then a few weeks ago, a fraction of the time, I would come to the driver door and could not open it. On the screen, I would see the instruction to use the card to open the door. I would continue trying, without retrieving the card, and after a minute or so, the door would open and all worked as before. Today I realized that when approaching the car, if I went directly to the door, it would open and all would be right with the world. However, if I first opened the trunk, which would open fine from the latch, and then to the driver's side door, I would get the alternate behavior; the door would not open. I don't believe it worked this way prior to a few weeks ago. My software was just updated last night to 2018.50.5 and it continues to work this way. I think I was on 2018.48.x prior to this. It is possible that this behavior started with the upgrade to .48, but I can't be sure.

Do you think this is a software bug? Anything I can do in the interim while waiting for a fix, other than stand at the driver's door waiting for it to open? I could always go to that door first and then open the trunk, but that is more awkward as I am likely holding packages. That is why I am going to the trunk in the first place. Others noticing this behavior recently?

Is your phone in your back pocket or your front pocket? My experience is, phone in back pocket = sporadic "phone as key" behavior. Phone in front pocket, or any other pocket without a bunch of "body" between you and the car, phone as key works fine, with an iPhone.

@ewoodrick, I tried opening the app first. The driver door opened even if I opened and closed the trunk first. However, just having the phone wake up the connection introduces a new variable. And my goal is that I be able to open the driver door without taking my phone out of my pocket, a process which had been working 99% of the time. And it still works if I don’t open the trunk first. Anyone else seeing this, or am I ascribing cause and effect where there is none? Even if it is unrelated to the trunk, it is still a disappointing change in what had been a reliable process.

OK, here’s another:
When I’m getting ready to get into my T3, I can open any door or the trunk just by approaching with my phone (iPhone8). However, I can’t release my charger from the car without first opening something, door or trunk. It doesn’t seem to recognize my phone when I hit the release button on my charging cable. I’d like to walk up to the car, release the charging cable and then open a door/trunk. Has anyone else noticed this?

OK, here’s another:
When I’m getting ready to get into my T3, I can open any door or the trunk just by approaching with my phone (iPhone8). However, I can’t release my charger from the car without first opening something, door or trunk. It doesn’t seem to recognize my phone when I hit the release button on my charging cable. I’d like to walk up to the car, release the charging cable and then open a door/trunk. Has anyone else noticed this?
Mine has always done this, bought in July. I always pop open driver door then unplug. It’s now a habit. Maybe there’s a safety feature to this I don’t recognize, but I’d still prefer it unplug when my phone is in range without opening door

• Helpful
Reactions: Leeclanual
A few weeks ago I noticed a seemingly intermittent behavior that I had not seen previously. I bought the M3 in mid-October. Prior to a few weeks ago, virtually every time I would walk up to the driver door with my iPhone X in my pocket, I could open the door, get in, and drive away. Then a few weeks ago, a fraction of the time, I would come to the driver door and could not open it. On the screen, I would see the instruction to use the card to open the door. I would continue trying, without retrieving the card, and after a minute or so, the door would open and all worked as before. Today I realized that when approaching the car, if I went directly to the door, it would open and all would be right with the world. However, if I first opened the trunk, which would open fine from the latch, and then to the driver's side door, I would get the alternate behavior; the door would not open. I don't believe it worked this way prior to a few weeks ago. My software was just updated last night to 2018.50.5 and it continues to work this way. I think I was on 2018.48.x prior to this. It is possible that this behavior started with the upgrade to .48, but I can't be sure.

Do you think this is a software bug? Anything I can do in the interim while waiting for a fix, other than stand at the driver's door waiting for it to open? I could always go to that door first and then open the trunk, but that is more awkward as I am likely holding packages. That is why I am going to the trunk in the first place. Others noticing this behavior recently?
I haven't had this problem, but I'm on Android. I'd put grocery bags in the trunk first and then go to the driver's door and it would open.