Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asphalt Tile Roof Replacement - Smooth Tile or Textured?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my dad was visiting the other day, and (as a former roofer) noticed my asphalt tiles were beginning to look worn out. He said I could probably get another year or two out of them, which got me thinking... Tesla solar tiles? (assuming Elon can actually pull off this product within that timeline)

If you had an asphalt roof, would you want the smooth or textured tiles? Honestly I think the textured would look better.

Attachments

• thumbnail-smooth-glass.png
    thumbnail-smooth-glass.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 137
  • thumbnail-textured-glass.png
    thumbnail-textured-glass.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 123
The textured would look more "normal" - the smooth would be good if you wanted to advertise your solar power generation. I kind of like having a big bank of obvious solar cells up on my roof, so I might choose the smooth. If I wanted to blend in a traditional neighborhood, the textured would be the better choice.

It will depend on the style of your house on what looks better. I would love to put the textured or slate tiles but would need them in roughly two years.

I am in the process of having a new house designed and asked the builder to breakout the cost of the roof. The design, lot and position of the house are being designed with a solar roof in mind. My guess is that I am 7+ years away from a good hail storm before I get a solar roof.

I will definitely be going with the textured. I have a 1960's split level with your typical asphalt roof. If I go with the smooth I think it will make my older style house look odd.

I think the timing will be perfect as we are 3-5 years away from needing a new roof. (I think based on visual inspection)

I will definitely be going with the textured. I have a 1960's split level with your typical asphalt roof. If I go with the smooth I think it will make my older style house look odd.

I think the timing will be perfect as we are 3-5 years away from needing a new roof. (I think based on visual inspection)

You may have to have engineering done to determine if your roof structure can bear the higher weight load of tiles. Since Solar Roof tiles are said to be lighter than concrete tiles, roofs designed for wood or asphalt shingles might or might not be adequate, while concrete tiles almost certainly would be too heavy.