TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Assembly OKs clean vehicle carpool-lane access to 2020; Senate next

Discussion in 'California' started by jeffro01, May 23, 2013.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Great news!

3. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Nice!

(Though could they maybe do something about the ugly design of these stickers? I still can't bring myself to stick them on our S...)

4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I don't think I'll ever understand why some people detest the stickers so much. Who cares what they look like? They are there to provide a function and they aren't any sort of ridiculous color. You can't get much more harmless than white... or green for the PHEVs... Better than the old yellow stickers.

I guess I'll forever be the minority on this one. :D

Jeff

5. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I wasn't crazy about putting the stickers on my roadster but now that it's there I like it, (I only put one on the right side of the rear bumper). I had the car in the Seal Beach car show last month and someone said he liked it because he thought it was a joke! I had to inform him that the car was electric and the sticker was legit.

6. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

I agree that they are not that bad. Yes, they do mar the look, but for the benefit of using the car pool lane, I have no problem with the sticker.

By the way, I only put the center one on. I've done this with my last three EV's and I have never been hassled by it.

I've even been driving around for the last three months with it taped to my hatch window without any problems.

7. napabill

napabill Active Member

This is my plan. Those little hatch windows are the perfect size for the butt-ugly key decal.:wink:

8. strider

strider Active Member

Nope. We run them on both our Roadster and Model S. I view them as a badge of honor. I especially enjoy them as I drive past Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis in the carpool lane and they are stuck in traffic. :)

9. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Well, I will concede that the white is better than the green. If we can actually get away with just one sticker, I wouldn't hate it quite so much... hmm...

(I also don't have much occasion to use them... if my daily commute included the carpool lane, I'd probably be all over it, too!)

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Not to mention other Model Ss whose owners chose not to put these badges of honor on ;) I've whizzed past such Ss that appear to have had their plates on for a long time but, with no HOV stickers.

11. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I put them way low onto the plastic, not the paint. The back is in the center on the plastic.

12. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

I'm with you there, Andrew. I've heard from some who use scraps of 3M "paint armor" film purchased on EBay as a backing for the stickers so they can be removed without much fuss. That's probably what I'll do when I finally get around to it.

If you spend any time on 85 you've doubtless whizzed by me once or twice...

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

That's what I did.

California DMV - Plates HOV Stickers - Page 14

It's not so bad... atleast on my Green, they "blend" in fairly well; and, the rainbow light play when the sun hits the stickers at the right angle is kinda' cool! (I know... I'm really reaching there ;))

:) 101's more my territory.

14. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Good idea!

15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I thought about that and dithered, but now that the stickers are going to last for the next 7 years I went ahead and just put them on.

16. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Yes, me too!

17. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

This really is excellent news. I was a bit concerned that with all the Model S sales they might not re-up, but apparently the lawmakers aren't so concerned. And if anything, the green stickers would be first to go.

As I previously posted elsewhere, legislation has also now been passed to allow us free access to the HOT toll lanes in So Cal (the 110 and 10), starting next March.

"Looking good, Billy Ray!
    Feeling good, Lewis!"

As for why the stickers, I have inquired with the authority on this and was directed to the DMV, which was not at all interested in my proposal that California use a system like other states that have a different license plate to denote a car with HOV access for solo drivers. The reasoning was nonsensical, but the bottom line was "no."

And finally, if people want a scrap of paint armor for sticker application, PM and I can send you some. I currently have several scraps from a paint armor application on my car.