Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assessment of Operational Design Domain for Level 2 autonomous vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pleasure @Shubham

The last one on the list had a little surprise for me last night proving that this is indeed a treacherous spot for self driving cars. The road bridge at that point has an unusually steep incline on both sides. This severely limits the ability of both human driver and AP cameras to see what lies beyond the top of the bridge.
I was driving south-west bound in the left lane with AP enabled. Just after reaching the top the car suddenly decides to swerve into the right lane forcing me to overrule the system. It was two in the morning and the road was empty apart from the car I had just passed so there weren't any big risks involved. But this simply should not happen.

My pleasure @Shubham

The last one on the list had a little surprise for me last night proving that this is indeed a treacherous spot for self driving cars. The road bridge at that point has an unusually steep incline on both sides. This severely limits the ability of both human driver and AP cameras to see what lies beyond the top of the bridge.
I was driving south-west bound in the left lane with AP enabled. Just after reaching the top the car suddenly decides to swerve into the right lane forcing me to overrule the system. It was two in the morning and the road was empty apart from the car I had just passed so there weren't any big risks involved. But this simply should not happen.
Hi Paul, thanks for all your help. Yes, A44 is certainly a potential test route for this study.

Hello Everyone,

Once again thank you for your continuous feedback, comments and suggestions regarding my study.

I would like to bring to your attention that my study will also include a controlled on-road test with two sets of drivers. One, with prior experience in a Tesla and the other set, with experience in semi-automated vehicles other than Tesla.

Therefore, I would like to invite people from this group to be part of the study as you all are perfect candidates/participants for the study. If you are interested to participate and would like to get more information about the study, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Looking forward to hearing back from you all as it would be certainly very helpful for my study.

Cheers!!
Shubham Bhusari

Hello Everyone,

This is a reminder/ call for participants for the on-road test (refer * for details).

For those who are reading this for the first time, please refer to further details at the end of this post).
I would like to bring to your attention that my study will also include a controlled on-road test with two sets of drivers. One, with prior experience in a Tesla and the other set, with experience in semi-automated vehicles other than Tesla.

Therefore, I would like to invite people from this group to be part of the study as you all are perfect candidates/participants for the study. If you are interested to participate and would like to get more information about the study, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Looking forward to hearing back from you all as it would be certainly very helpful for my study.

xxxx
* Details ( re-post about the proposed research)

Hello everyone,

My name is Shubham Bhusari and I am a MSc student in TU Delft, Netherlands.
I am currently working on a project in order to understand the conditions and situations in which the autopilot function of Tesla fails along with understanding the drivers trust in the system around edge cases. My objective is to formulate a standard definition of Operational Design Domain for level 2 Automated vehicles across all manufacturers. I aim to do so by first understanding the drivers needs and trust in edge cases through controlled on-road tests and then combine it with objective risk measurements using various scientific methodologies. I focus on Tesla, because it has been in the market for more time than the other manufacturers and from prior studies here at the university, it is seen that they perform the best across various situations. Since safety is of utmost importance in our studies, Tesla was chosen.

P.S-I have nothing against Tesla or as a matter of fact any vehicle manufacturer and my ultimate aim is to ensure that manufacturers better inform their users which in-turn leads to more road safety over time.

xxxx

Cheers!!
Shubham Bhusari

Hello Shubham,
That's very interesting! I am doing a similar study at Aalto University in Finland. But I am more concerned about street design and future implications for road operators. Can you please send me your research if it's ready?

Cheers!
Abdul

Hello everyone,

My name is Shubham Bhusari and I am a MSc student in TU Delft, Netherlands.
I am currently working on a project in order to understand the conditions and situations in which the autopilot function of Tesla fails along with understanding the drivers trust in the system around edge cases. My objective is to formulate a standard definition of Operational Design Domain for level 2 Automated vehicles across all manufacturers. I aim to do so by first understanding the drivers needs and trust in edge cases through controlled on-road tests and then combine it with objective risk measurements using various scientific methodologies. I focus on Tesla, because it has been in the market for more time than the other manufacturers and from prior studies here at the university, it is seen that they perform the best across various situations. Since safety is of utmost importance in our studies, Tesla was chosen.

With this thread, I wanted to know if anyone of you Tesla owners know a few situations especially on highways where the system performance is ambiguous and thereby affects your trust in the system. Or maybe even specific routes in the Netherlands which could be a candidate route for my road tests?

If yes, Please feel free to mention a few such situations here in this thread, to have a small discussion about them as this would be really helpful for my project.

Looking forward to hear from all of you, as the feedback of experienced drivers like you is very important.

P.S-I have nothing against Tesla or as a matter of fact any vehicle manufacturer and my ultimate aim is to ensure that manufacturers better inform their users which in-turn leads to more road safety over time.