Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assigned a 2021 year car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Qwackie

Dec 9, 2021
USA
I had a estimated delivery date of 12/10 to 12/31 for my 3P. Today I received a VIN for a 2021 year car built in Fremont, CA. I live in Texas, should I be weary of receiving a 2021 so late in the year since 2022s are being produced now?

Looking for opinions, thanks!

Functionally, I don't think there is going to be any real difference. But there is going to be a difference in resale value whenever you go to sell the car. From that perspective, a 2022 car at this point in time is likely the better option, but not if you would much rather have a car to take possession of today.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
It is a bit of bummer to receive a 2021 when people are getting 2022s consistently but technically there's not a real difference. Maybe contact your SA and ask about it and see what they say. If it had happened to me, I definitely would have been significantly bummed just because it would have been /nice/ to get a 2022 but ultimately because we'd been without a car for 2 months and needed one, i wouldn't have rejected it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I had a estimated delivery date of 12/10 to 12/31 for my 3P. Today I received a VIN for a 2021 year car built in Fremont, CA. I live in Texas, should I be weary of receiving a 2021 so late in the year since 2022s are being produced now?

Looking for opinions, thanks!

If it were me, I would contact my SA and tell them I wanted a 2022. Not because I think there is a major difference, but because, if I was buying now, I would want a 2022.

Reactions: orion2001
Thanks all for the replies. I am still undecided if it's the same car just year differences.
I'm 99.9% sure it is identical to 2022 VIN cars. Tesla doesn't really do step updates every model year. If that is you only concern, you should just go ahead and take delivery. If you share your VIN here, people can help you figure out the month the car was built if that would make you feel better about it being a recent build.

I'm 99.9% sure it is identical to 2022 VIN cars. Tesla doesn't really do step updates every model year. If that is you only concern, you should just go ahead and take delivery. If you share your VIN here, people can help you figure out the month the car was built if that would make you feel better about it being a recent build.
Tesla does running updates throughout the model year. Having said that, I would always recommend purchasing the latest production model available.

And one more data point- I took delivery on Sunday, 1/2/2022, of a M3 LR that was produced in Fremont. VIN ends in MF1503xx. According to the door sticker, this 2021 model year car was produced in December 2021. So they were still producing model year 2021 cars at some point in December.

This is all good to know. The VIN I was assigned ended in MF087719.
I took delivery on 12/31 and my VIN was MF0865XX, so even a little older than yours. I knew immediately when my VIN was assigned that I was getting someone else's cancellation or refusal. My car was manufactured in October, and I ordered mid-November. I was bummed, since I knew there was no chance of getting the new MCU, 12v battery, etc. etc., and I was worried that it'd show up with big panel gaps or other problems. But in the end, the car was just right and I am glad that I got it, rather than having to wait several more weeks or months, had I refused it.