TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Assigned a VIN after only a few days ordering

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by hydro 481, Dec 5, 2018.

1. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

I placed an order for a Performance Model 3 on Nov 30 which a Friday. To my surprise I already received a VIN number 4 days later on Tuesday. I haven't even confirmed the loan they approved me for yet. I assume the VIN is generated prior to the car being built? Or did they give me an inventory car? I asked a Tesla rep and she said it was probably a customer who canceled their order. She didn't sound too sure though. I already have a scheduled delivery date of Dec 11 (I'm in San Diego), which is only 12 days after my order placement. Is it me or is that way too soon?

2. luke666

luke666 Member

Color and last five digits VIN?

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Don't worry, be happy

4. bsilva

bsilva Member

I placed an order on Tuesday, November 13 and two days later, Thursday, November 15 was given a VIN and said they could deliver the car that day. I wasn't quite ready for the car so fast (I wouldn't have a home charger installed for another 2 weeks). I delayed delivery till after Thanksgiving week (I was away for that week). I got the car Monday, November 27.

I've heard of another person in the Seattle area who also got delivery within a few days. Tesla is super popular in the Seattle area. I would imagine that they are building inventory of popular configurations in Seattle for quick delivery. Mine is long range battery, awd, metallic midnight silver (aka gray), autopilot, and 19" wheels.

I think I read somewhere that WA state has the highest per capita ownership of Teslas in the country.

5. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

This is not at all unusual, particularly for P/AWD/LR vehicles. Tesla is not building to order right now on Model 3 in particular. It has been batch manufacturing for many months, precisely so that it is able to both maximize the use of its production capacity, and so that when orders do come in for P or for AWD it can fulfill those orders quickly both to aid these higher-margin customers get their cars quickly, but also to maximize revenue/profit for this all-important quarter.

• Like x 2
  6. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

white 81592

7. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Thank you for the explanation. That definitely makes sense. I guess my concern is they gave me a car that's been sitting around for awhile. I would prefer to get a car that's as new as possible to make sure I get the latest upgrades/refinements.

8. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Wow! You could have gotten the car 2 days after your order? Crazy :eek:

I'm in a similar situation as you were. I placed an order and honestly didn't expect to get the car until late December. Which was fine with me since I am in the midst of moving to a new place since my old apartment got flooded. So yea things are kinda hectic right now. Not sure I can fit in a new car so soon :p

Tesla is also very popular here in San Diego. Well, EVs in general are popular here. And I live 10 minutes away from the closest Tesla service center. Do you think they will let me pick it up instead of getting it delivered?

• Like x 1
  9. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Many have this fear, yet I can count on one hand the number of people who actually posted about having had an 'old' build once they saw their manufacture date in the door jamb at delivery. You'll be just fine. Enjoy.
    PS. The delivery advisors are generally clueless about most things, such as the comment that you're 'probably' getting a car that someone else cancelled. There's just no evidence that this occurs on any level of frequent basis at all. My bet is your car will have an 11/18 mfr date.

10. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

OP I placed an oder last week 11/27 and took delivery yesterday 12/04 (Model 3 performance / EAP / Blue. I got the vin assigned within 24 hours. The car originally slated for delivery to me was "born on" the 11/27.. the same day I ordered.

@suwaneedad 's explanation seems to be whats happening. They KNOW people are going to going for the tax credit, and are making the high margin (Performance, EAP AWD) versions for inventory so that they can deliver those ASAP. 2 weeks from now, when someone comes in saying "I think the medium range one would be fine for me, and I want to get that one and get the tax credit" they will (likely) say:

" oh, im sorry we dont have any inventory on that one, we expect it in the middle of january.
    We have the all wheel drive performance version in stock, however. It costs XXXX more, but remember you will get the tax credit to offset some of that cost, and it also has more range"

(or some such).

If one wants or is willing to take an All Wheel Drive dual motor performance version, you could likely still get one easily right now before the end of the year. If you are in california, you might be able to walk into a tesla store on dec 26th and take delivery the next day provided you already have your financing (just a guess on my part) but tesla has a HUUUGGGEE incentive to push these cars out and have 2 profitable quarters, coupled with people having to make a decision NOW and seeing more on the road... smart of them to just make them to inventory (the high margin ones).

• Like x 1
  11. bsilva

bsilva Member

Crazy, eh? Yeah it was ready to be delivered 2 days after placing the order, no prior reservation. When I had asked the salesperson how long it would take when I placed the order, I got the standard "4-6 weeks" but she also said, "It might be sooner, though." Ha, sooner indeed!

I had the option of home delivery or pickup at the service center, which is about 15 minutes from my house. I went with home delivery as it saved me having to take an Uber to the service center.

12. 91355White3

91355White3 Member

Placed order for White on Nov 27th. This is what I have so far...

13. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

Tesla doesnt make a truck yet.... ;)

14. TexasGator

TexasGator Member

not unusual at all. I am a non reservation holder, ordered a P3+ on Sept2 and took delivery in less than 3 weeks. And this is in TX.... :)

15. 91355White3

91355White3 Member

My apologies. I meant to add this

Attached Files:

16. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Thanks bud. You put me at ease. :)

17. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Man what you said makes too much sense :D I guess it would be smart of them to unload as many of the high-profit cars as possible.

18. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Was the option for home delivery presented to you on your Tesla account website? I was not given that option, just said something about based on my location I will get the car delivered. I guess I'll have to call the service center to see if I could arrange a pickup. Did they transport your car on a truck or did a Tesla rep drive it?

19. luke666

luke666 Member

It is not an inventory car. It seems Tesla uses another Vin method for Performance model. Mine is 80941 and I will pick up mine this Sunday.

20. 91355White3

91355White3 Member

Ordered 11/27. Received VIN 12/6.