Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assistance Requested: Review of Draft Table on Current Tesla-Charging Ports/Plugs--Use in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
I've prepared a comparative table of the current types of Tesla vehicle charge ports (and corresponding plugs) used in three key market areas of the Tesla car world—mainland China, North America, and Europe. I believe the primary charge port standards used there are, respectively, (a) Guobiao/Tuijian (GB/T), (b) Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC), and (c) Type 2 (Mennekes) and Combined Charging System (CCS) Combo Type 2 equipment.

As promised, I've put the almost-complete three-entry table in the Tesla: Company, Tech, & Related: Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure section, here:
Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs of the World Compared.

Last edited:
confirm: CHAdeMO adapters come with Type 2 Mennekes plugs, correct!

"Models S & X must use a CCS Combo 2 adapter for D/C fast charging." is correct (outside of Tesla SuperChargers), but at most EU Tesla SC you can fast (DC) charge by Type 2. It used to be, before CCS (fasion). Now on many SC there is two cables: (old for S & X) Type 2 and (new) CCS.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
...but at most EU Tesla SC you can fast (DC) charge by Type 2. It used to be, before CCS (fasion). Now on many SC there is two cables: (old for S & X) Type 2 and (new) CCS.

OK; interesting. So if I understand correctly, for European Tesla fast D/C charging there are these Five Categories of possibilities for Tesla-Europe cars?
  1. Drivers with older (pre-05/2019) unmodified Models S & X:
    (a) Can only use Tesla Supercharger with Type 2 (Mennekes) plug for D/C fast-charging.

2. Drivers with older Models S & X who have purchased the Hardware Retrofit with the CCS Combo 2 Adapter:
    (a) Can use Supercharger with Type 2 plug.
    (b) At Superchargers with both types of plug, can use SC with CCS Combo 2 plug. (Is CCS plug charging faster than Type 2 plug charging?)
    (c) Can use non-Tesla D/C fast-charging station with CCS Combo 2 plug.

3. Drivers of newer Models S & X:
    Can use Options a, b, and c (as in Category 2). No retrofit is needed, but a CCS Combo 2 Adapter is still required (for Options b and c).

4. Drivers of older (pre-11/2018) Model 3:
    (a) Can only use Tesla Supercharger with Type 2 Mennekes plug for D/C fast-charging.

5. Drivers of newer Models 3 & Y :
    Can use Options a, b, and c (as in Category 2). No retrofit and no CCS Combo 2 Adapter are required.
Is all that correct?

As my complete Table will eventually show, things are (surprisingly) more simple here in North America (but just for Tesla car charging). All model-years (except the original Roadster) have only the relatively small Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) charge port you may have seen photos of. The corresponding plug is slender and well-designed.

North American Tesla Model 3 Proprietary Charge Port - 1.jpg North America TPC Plug.jpg

They will accept both A/C and D/C low, moderate, or high power charging. That's handy. We receive (w/new car) or buy a small J1772 Adapter to allow charging at public (low-to-moderate power) A/C stations or from non-Tesla home wall connectors meant for other NA electric car brands.

J1772.jpg

For on-the-road D/C fast-charging we have increasing numbers of Superchargers (of course) using the TPC cable end-plug and some CHAdeMO stations (though CHAdeMO is apparently becoming an orphaned standard in NA). The CHAdeMO adapter is no longer available from Tesla, interestingly enough, and Nissan has apparently switched to CCS in NA. Instead, Canada and the USA have growing numbers of non-Tesla CCS Combo 1-plug-equipped charging stations ("Electrify America" and others) intended for almost all other brands of NA electric cars. Right now there is only one over-priced and rather buggy aftermarket CCS Combo 1 adapter for Tesla cars. However, we believe that Tesla will offer a CCS Combo 1 adapter, like the one now in Korea, for North America "soon." (But what does "soon" mean in Tesla lingo?)

Tesla Manual - CCS Apdater - Korea - 1.jpg

Thanks for that good information.

Last edited:
Can't see attachments of #1

Wow. That is strange.

I just deleted most of Post #1 and put directions to the almost-complete table.

The TMC software chose to only delete the photos and leave the text and (bare) table.

The new Thread has those photos. Sorry for the mess. I guess I was stretching the limits of the forum software's abilities.

*****​

Should be OK, now.

Last edited:
Reactions: oritomov