Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assume another MY price hike this week or next....M3 got its price hike today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love the used market of my Model Y increasing I must admit the Model Y in particular has become severely overpriced. At least the Model 3 is within $1-2k of a Polestar 2 (a car I consider a main competitor). The Model Y is like $15k now and soon to be closer to $20k over the competition (Mach E, Ioniq 5, ID4, EV6).

Shrugs - I never thought I would see an Audi e-Tron with a Bang&Olfsen sound system, massaging seats, air suspension, etc come out cheaper in some cases (with $7500 tax incentive) than a Model Y!

Since my Plaid reservation needs more info--They tell me that if I don't proceed, it will be canceled on April 17th.
Previously, by March 13th, I had to pick my delivery location. That is the day of the recent $5,000 price increase.
It may be coincidental, or reading the tea leaves.

As much as I love the used market of my Model Y increasing I must admit the Model Y in particular has become severely overpriced. At least the Model 3 is within $1-2k of a Polestar 2 (a car I consider a main competitor). The Model Y is like $15k now and soon to be closer to $20k over the competition (Mach E, Ioniq 5, ID4, EV6).

Shrugs - I never thought I would see an Audi e-Tron with a Bang&Olfsen sound system, massaging seats, air suspension, etc come out cheaper in some cases (with $7500 tax incentive) than a Model Y!
Yeah e-tron is a good alternative (I’ve ordered one cheapest premium trim for 68k), but knowing it’s Audi it will depreciate like crazy in 3 years, vs Tesla holding their value. Agree the gap is narrowing, but I think tesla still like a better buy at this point.

We are simply in an absurd (and I argue fatal) market. I don't know if there is going to be a demand decrease, and I expect, as history suggests, a full market implosion similar to the last housing crisis. Remember how those prices went through the roof...and then fell through the floor? It wasn't because demand waned. People are panic buying, and manufacturers - Tesla included - are feeding the frenzy by suggesting (and then implementing) future price hikes as incentives to "buy now, or you may regret it." People lose their grip on reality and live way beyond their means. And corporate profit continues to soar. Maybe Tesla wants the M3/MY to only compete with luxury brands and not the Bolt/Kona, etc. market? Seems that way to me.

The Model Y is about the same price as the Mach-E before tax incentives, so it's priced about right. Ford has also raised prices this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merner
My other theory is that pushing the MY LR up in price opens up for the SR+ that can be seen in social media today from the Austin launch party. It will be a "bargain" to purchase a MY SR+ dual-motor with 279 miles of range starting at $52K (est.), right? I figure the SR+ will cost at least what I paid for my MY LR almost 2 years ago.

Where are you getting pricing from? A Mach E AWD with all the goodies is $49-$50k before tax incentives. The Model Y is $60k+ now.
You would need to compare the Y to the Mach E long range models, which are sold out for the year, and no longer listed on their website. The CA Rte 1 AWD was listed for $56K and the Premium Long Range for slightly more. AWD is an option on the CA Rte 1 and LR an option on the Premium, and without them, the cars aren’t comparable to the Y. The Select is way cheaper but doesn’t include LR or AWD and lacks a lot of other comparable features like Blue Cruise and a lower accel.

Trust me, I was cross shopping these cars last September when the price for similar trim was identical to the Y price.

I places the order online so it’s definitely MSRP, but when it will come is anyone’s guess. Maybe 2024? Ford’s manufacturing capability is rather pathetic.
nope. when you place order online, you need to choose a dealer, and then the price change to dealer price (typically higher than MSRP, but maybe not too much, comparing to those on dealer lots).
some dealers do honor MSRP without mark up, but harder to find how. nevertheless, MME GT with tax credit should still be cheaper than MYP.

nope. when you place order online, you need to choose a dealer, and then the price change to dealer price (typically higher than MSRP, but maybe not too much, comparing to those on dealer lots).
some dealers do honor MSRP without mark up, but harder to find how. nevertheless, MME GT with tax credit should still be cheaper than MYP.
yes of course you chose the dealer that does MSRP, why would you not? It's not like buying existing inventory off the lot, and it's not hard to find dealer that will place order for you at MSRP, at least not in NJ.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.18.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.18.47 AM.png
    497.5 KB · Views: 69