Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assume FSD was fully functional....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume FSD was fully functional. Level 4-5 where you didn’t even have to pay attention to the road. How often would you really use it?

With the exception of the once a year road trip, or maybe the rare occasion where I've had a few too many, I don’t think I'd ever use it. I like driving. I especially like driving a car where I can step on the pedal and instantly insert myself into any opening. So even if my car could completely drive itself, I don’t think I'd use it much. It's cool from a technological perspective but I just don’t think I'd really use it enough to justifying the price. (no way I'm sending my car out as a robotaxi and letting strangers ride in it)

Now if you live in a city where you have a mind numbing commute in stop and go traffic every day, then I could see more of an appeal. But even then is FSD really needed when the "free" autopilot can do basically the same thing on the freeway as long as you don’t constantly need to change lanes?

I just think that Tesla is pricing FSD like everyone is going to put their car on the robotaxi network and suddenly start making money, when I bet the majority of us cringe at the thought of some stranger alone in our $40-$60k car just so we can make a couple of dollars.

If it was safer than driving yourself and you have your kids in the car? 100% of the time...

Are you a bad driver? FSD is kind of like vaccines in that regard. It's really only significantly safer if everyone else is using it too. If every car on the road had FSD then the roads would much safer. But if you're the only one in a sea of inattentive drivers who are texting on their phones then are you really safer? The car may be able to react a little faster than you, but it can't account for all the random idiot behavior of other drivers.

I totally disagree, the radars can see things you eyes cannot. It can also be looking in many directions at the same time and has faster reflexes than you do. We turn to computers for almost everything critical now days as they does it more consistently than people.

Assuming Santa was real, what’s the theoretical max value gift I can ask for without coming across as too greedy?

AP already good enough for me as it drives better than my wife.

...Assume FSD was fully functional. Level 4-5 where you didn’t even have to pay attention to the road. How often would you really use it?...

There's no need to wait. I have already used TACC/Autopilot as often as the system allows an activation even in the city (such as turn on Autopilot with a lead car in front while waiting for a red light). I don't see there's any change in my current habit when FSD will be here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joshan
I totally disagree, the radars can see things you eyes cannot. It can also be looking in many directions at the same time and has faster reflexes than you do. We turn to computers for almost everything critical now days as they does it more consistently than people.

No matter how fast the car can react it's still constrained by the physical limitations of the car itself and the traffic around it. If you're in busy traffic and a car on your left starts to merge into the side of your car what can it do? If it slams on the brakes the car behind you will hit you instead. If it speeds up then you'll hit the car in front of you and if it swerves to the right it'll hit the car on that side instead. We've seen this with current accident mitigation systems. They're faster to react than human drivers, but the physical limitations of the car and the world around prevent them from being called accident avoidance systems.

As I said above, if all cars were self driving, or even most, then I think the roads would be way safer. But if you're the lone self driver in a sea of unpredictable human drivers there is only so much the car can do.

No matter how fast the car can react it's still constrained by the physical limitations of the car itself and the traffic around it. If you're in busy traffic and a car on your left starts to merge into the side of your car what can it do?

It can react 0.5 seconds or more faster than you knowing instantly which direction if any is clear and head that way (brake if there's room behind you, merge right if there's room there, accelerate if there's room there, possibly merge after that, all while quantifying which has highest probability of escape). It can't avoid all crashes, but a significant number of them.

I use mine probably 80% of the time already. we have a fair amount of traffic in my area and it drives me crazy all the idiots in the fast land and the total inconsistent speeds that people drive, I use TACC or better yet NOA it just removes all stress I let the car do what it does and it no longer drives me crazy. I've thought for year one of the best things they could do for traffic flow in my area is teach and enforce lane etiquette but that hasn't happened.

EAP and NoA now does everything I need around town and on trips. The only issue is if I do not have a car in front of me at a stop light, which is only about 10% of the time. So I do not see the future FSD city driving adding very much for me at this time.

As for full FSD in the future, until many more cars are self driving I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel and supervise. Most of my current issues on trips are not with the car but with other drivers.

Assume FSD was fully functional. Level 4-5 where you didn’t even have to pay attention to the road. How often would you really use it?

Depends, is it level 4 or 5. Big difference. If I can sit in the back and read on my phone or just watch netflix, I'd use it for my commute. But if I still have to hold the wheel and take over every now and again, I'll probably just drive most of the time.

...As I said above, if all cars were self driving, or even most, then I think the roads would be way safer. But if you're the lone self driver in a sea of unpredictable human drivers there is only so much the car can do.

I don't see there's a need to wait for everyone else.

Same for solar panels, EV, first new cell phone with 40 and now 108 megapixels...

I can't turn on Autopilot from my garage until I get to a bigger street with lanes. I don't wait for everyone else to have FSD before I turn on my Autopilot with a lead car in front while waiting at a red light.

It's convenient for me. I don't have to step on the accelerator when the light turns green. It keeps stopping until the light turns green for the lead car in front moves.

Of course, doing so does not protect me from being rear-ended or T-bone and other terrible accidents caused by others.

First thing first. I can do what I can control. Let's start with that first and not waiting for others.

• Love
Assume FSD was fully functional. Level 4-5 where you didn’t even have to pay attention to the road. How often would you really use it?.

Probably somewhere in the high 90% range of the time.

I'd usually rather be reading, sleeping, or playing video games than sitting in traffic or driving to/from work or the store.

All of which I could be doing instead with L5 driving (or even L3 or L4 since most of my drive is highway)

In the rare case where I'm in a driving situation that'd actually be interesting I can take over, but that's a very tiny percentage of all driving for me (and most folks I expect)

...FSD is kind of like vaccines in that regard. It's really only significantly safer if everyone else is using it too...
whoa whoa whoa whoa... you did NOT just compare a startup technology to proven science?

in response to the rest of your post, FSD will remove the hypothetical if you believe you're a safe driver or not. regardless of how safe of a drive you think you are, you will never be as safe as a series of coordinated computers.

my biggest issue with FSD isn't the safety or the convenience, it's more along the lines of, if everyone relies on FSD, why purchase a vehicle at all? aren't they just utilities at that point?

I had my Model 3 for 15 months already. Done a few road trips in it and put 23,600 miles on it. I would easily say about 80% of those miles have been on EAP. I love the idea of driving but I find it boring in the real world. Traffic is horrible! and most drives I do are in east Texas, meaning flat and mostly straight roads.
As for safety, there has been two occasions where cars have merged into my car's lane and my car reacted slightly faster than me once and the second my wife driving. I won't go as far as saying that the collision avoidance prevented the impact since in both occasions both my wife and I were going to move out of the way anyway, just the car did it a fraction of a second faster.
As new features have been added to EAP I have welcomed them, used them and embraced them, and plan to continue to do so. I have no intention of sending the car as a robotaxi as the idea of strangers alone in my cars appalls me.
Therefore how often am I planning on using FSD? As frequently as I can. I paid for it for 2 reasons:
1. I paid early to support the company and to support FSD development
2. I paid for it to use it.