Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asthmatic AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Florida is hitting 92degrees++ every day and although I try to pre cool the car (Usually showing 119 degrees via Visible Tesla) it's AC seems to be wheezing air.

I set it at 68 degrees but then have to manually set the fan to 7 (what ever happened to 10?) and put the recirculation on to try to keep it bearable when driving.

I don't know if it has just become hotter here but I remember the AC used to work great.
It is not the temp of the air just the pathetic volume that comes from the vents.
Anyone else in a comparable climate have this issue?

Florida is hitting 92degrees++ every day and although I try to pre cool the car (Usually showing 119 degrees via Visible Tesla) it's AC seems to be wheezing air.

I set it at 68 degrees but then have to manually set the fan to 7 (what ever happened to 10?) and put the recirculation on to try to keep it bearable when driving.

I don't know if it has just become hotter here but I remember the AC used to work great.
It is not the temp of the air just the pathetic volume that comes from the vents.
Anyone else in a comparable climate have this issue?

You have the AC in Range Mode. Go to Controls/Settings and turn off range mode. Read the manual. :)

Yep - you're in Range Mode. Once you turn that off you should be able to crank the AC back to 11 again. You can tell that you have it in Range Mode by looking at the climate control button and it will say ECO on it when you're in Range Mode as a reminder.

I wish Tesla wouldn't limit the cabin fan to 7 in Range Mode. Lots of time I find the reduced compressor capacity to be good enough if I could just get a little faster air circulation. I can't imagine there is that much of a difference in efficiency for just a fan running a bit faster. Throttling the compressor I get.

I wish Tesla wouldn't limit the cabin fan to 7 in Range Mode. Lots of time I find the reduced compressor capacity to be good enough if I could just get a little faster air circulation. I can't imagine there is that much of a difference in efficiency for just a fan running a bit faster. Throttling the compressor I get.

+1 for this. I used to just keep the car in Range mode to try to keep the car a bit quieter but when the summer started getting too hot, I ended up going back because 7 was just too low. I think I'd be okay with faster fan speed with less cooling.

OK now I have to delete the post and bury my head in the sand for being so dumb.

Thanks

Not at all! It's very easy to forget you're in range mode. One way to know, at a glance, is to look at the climate touch control at the bottom of the 17" display. If it says "eco mode" then range mode is on. In one place it's called "eco", in another it's called "range mode". It might be helpful for Tesla to unify the naming conventions.

Interesting... I keep mine in range mode all year, and never even push the fan past 4 or 5. I DO always precool for at least 15 or 20 minutes, and I have the temp set at 72. Typically the app shows the temp at 138ish in the afternoon when I start the precool for my drive home. Do you have your windows tinted? I have 3m Color Stable 30 on everything but the windshield, of course!

I've found that I can keep the car in Range Mode, but noticeably increase the amount of air coming from the vents by switching the airflow to "Recirculate". Since there's usually high humidity when I run the AC, this works fine for me.

Tesla should allow the fan speed to go back up to 11 in range mode. Running the compressor at a lower level, but compensating for that with more air circulation, could provide improved comfort with less energy expenditure. The biggest complaints about range mode are that the fan doesn't blow hard enough.