Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin CEO says Ludicrous mode is stupid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an Aston Martin owner I can't help but smile at some of the errors in this thread

Thanks for the comment Jon. I agree that going on a long spirited drive in a Tesla is harder. I drive a few good roads, but they aren't that far away so I don't have much to worry about. I think my main dislike for his comments are around him saying Ludicrous mode itself is stupid and making it sound like they will be able to get significantly more track time on a car with that much power. Maybe they will, but with the power they want to get out of it, I see it being just as much of a problem for AM as it has been for Tesla to allow it to run around a track. If Ludicrous mode makes all 7XXhp available, then how it is really different from a car that will give that much power all the time without a button to turn it off. The naming might be kind of stupid, but I don't know that having separate modes is.

Jon I'm 100% onside with this!

I'm currently in an Exige V6 + the Tesla... However one day I will grow up and buy an AM, but the Tesla will probably stay as a DD ;)

How does the saying go, "two countries divided by a common language" ;)

Oh nice! You're lucky you can have the V6, they aren't street legal in the US. I started planning a widebody turbo Exige 260 build a couple months ago. I found a '07 Exige S though that has been prepped as a track car so that might be a better choice since I'm going to mod it even more anyway.

Oh nice! You're lucky you can have the V6, they aren't street legal in the US. I started planning a widebody turbo Exige 260 build a couple months ago. I found a '07 Exige S though that has been prepped as a track car so that might be a better choice since I'm going to mod it even more anyway.

Thanks Pete!

It's a crying shame Lotus can't sell you them, they are such a step up from the old 4 cylinders (well as they came out the factory at least). I know there's plenty of US demand... who needs "smart airbags", just don't crash. :D

It's not just the power, they are wider + longer and MUCH better on country roads as a result. (It's my 3rd Lotus having had the 07 Exige, and a 04 Rover engine Elise). Remarkably reliable too, I drove this one to the Arctic Circle, 4k miles in 9 days and didn't miss a beat.

If you do find yourself moving forward with your plans on going for an Exige, don't hesitate to drop me a PM for any advice! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure they're just as obsessed about increasing capacity, but research and future abilities don't sell as many vehicles.

Agree! Increase energy density, use it for range or luxuries (both will gain sales) but what does Elon say "Show me a working cell"...

As an Aston Martin owner I can't help but smile at some of the errors in this thread

AM make their own engines although they have recently signed a deal with Mercedes for future power plants. The v8 engine is loosely related to a jaguar engine.
What about ford? Aston Martin signs new Ford engine deal - report | Autocar

"Aston Martin said that it does not comment on supplier agreements."

Exactly, so it's harder for you to find out how little of the car Aston Martin actually make themselves.

The point about handling is that an Aston owner wants a car with a lot of character and depth, a drag race is very limited. Just compare US Motorsport to European - we don't really go for high speed bowls or drag strips, we prefer handling circuits (and I acknowledge there are tracks like that in the U.S.). It's not better, it's different, but many an Aston owner will take their cars out for a very spirited 200 mile drive across Wales or into Scotland which a current tesla would struggle to do (irrespective of range). I doubt Palmer is worried about tesla, the Rapide is the worst seller in his range.

Sure, whatever floats your boat man. If you're always driving your car around these mythical curvy roads which are never damp (in the UK no less) and never come to an intersection or anything resembling civilization, sure. AWD traction and lots of off-the line torque and responsiveness are most useful in normal conditions you are likely to find yourself in.

Sure, whatever floats your boat man. If you're always driving your car around these mythical curvy roads which are never damp (in the UK no less) and never come to an intersection or anything resembling civilization, sure. AWD traction and lots of off-the line torque and responsiveness are most useful in normal conditions you are likely to find yourself in.

Of course there are winding roads in England, and contrary to popular myth it doesn't rain every day!

This is a nice winding road 1 minute from my house, no traffic, nice weather, no police or speed cameras. A great way to de-stress in an evening.

Warning those offended by the sound of an ICE, please turn off your speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
They sold less than 800 cars in 2014.

And this is a company that the media thinks is a Tesla killer? ROTFL!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes ;) And this why the P85D not hitting the numbers is a magnified problem.

Not according to Consumer Reports and the owners who filled out their questionnaires. It seems the only ones complaining about the P85D's performance are a small minority of TMC members. That's a speck on a gnat's rear end compared to the total number of deliveries. It seems the general P85D population is quite pleased with the car.

What about ford? Aston Martin signs new Ford engine deal - report | Autocar

"Aston Martin said that it does not comment on supplier agreements."

Exactly, so it's harder for you to find out how little of the car Aston Martin actually make themselves.

You obviously don't get the joy of driving the way we do...

Aston Martin N430 on Scotlands greatest driving road | evo GREAT DRIVES - YouTube

as for Ford, that's just a extension of the current arrangements. Ford owned jaguar and Aston at one point in time and it's just a corporate carve up in terms of which facilities got retained and what was made under license. Astons used to use Volvo sat Nav as they were also raided from the corporate parts bin at the time.

I'm not sure why you'd want to compare a normally aspirated v8 or v12 sports car, some with a stick shift, with an electric 5 seat sedan. They're different markets. I love the sound and the emotion, the art of changing gear, the rewarding feeling of getting things right. I have one, i'm getting the other.

Not according to Consumer Reports and the owners who filled out their questionnaires. It seems the only ones complaining about the P85D's performance are a small minority of TMC members. That's a speck on a gnat's rear end compared to the total number of deliveries. It seems the general P85D population is quite pleased with the car.

I don't disagree, but let's not be complacent!

We should bear in mind the ones upset are early adopters, and previously massive advocates. This questionnaire went out just before the P90D was announced (i.e. pre L) , so now the surveyed P85D owners are no longer in a "Halo" car, I bet a few of them are a more than a little annoyed about this and would answer differently.

A couple of observations...

• Aston lost its Chief of Engineering to Tesla. That was a pretty big deal.

• High performance gasoline cars and high performance electric cars will never compete on a completely level playing field. Each technology has its good points and its limitations. That said, the car buying public still adheres to few of common metrics when measuring performance cars: zero-to-sixty, quarter-mile, top speed, and skid pad rating. Some metrics benefit from one technology, and some from the other. In not too many years from now, however, the comparisons will be moot for another reason: any vehicle that emits carbon into the atmosphere will be heavily taxed or outright banned.

If I wanted a car to lap the track fast I would have gotten another Dodge Viper, not an Aston Martin. It holds the production car record for Laguna Seca and is tons of fun to drive on a track. Far more torque than any Aston, Ford powered or not.
The P85 works great for me. As fast as my old Viper 0-60 and can carpool my daughter and 3 friends to school. I do miss the track but for that, I will get another Viper!