Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin entering the P90D Luda market....in ~2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I have not seen anything that indicates how quickly this new Aston Martin will be able to charge. I hope the car is built but suspect it will not be useful for long distance trips because of charging limitations and do not expect it to be a serious Tesla competitor. Too expensive and not capable of doing convenient long distance travel.

While I agree that the Supercharger network is Tesla's key advantage, not all people need a long distance car, especially an exotic car like that Aston Martin. So, without the network, it'll still be a very usable car (300 miles). My S60 doesn't have supercharging and I put over 20K miles in one year and I work from home! Also, the Aston Martin can be a great second (fun) car to either a Tesla or in the short-term a piston-powered car. So, I don't think lack of supercharging is a dead-end for an EV, however, it is necessary for mass-market.

300 miles is about 4 or 5 hours of driving. That's a lot for one day and way more than most people need 99% of the time.

More EV competition, more better! I, for one, would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see someone build a purely electric car that's a lot better than the Model S. Because that means they have REALLY built something grand. It's like saying I wish someone built an airplane I thought was more awesome than a P-51D Mustang.... and that ain't happened yet, either... ;-)

In CA at least automakers that sell less than 10k vehicles worldwide are exempt from ZEV requirements.

MidSize companies like Mazda,Subaru,and Volvo that sell more than 10k cars worldwide but have revenues less than $40B worldwide don't have ZEV requirements until 2018 and can meet all their requirements with PHEVs for at least the first three years.

Last year AM sold 7k cars world wide. This exemption was put in by auto enthusiast wanting to keep cars like AM,Lotus, Koenigsegg, and Spyker in the CA market.

Ferrari sells ~10k cars a year and when it becomes independent next year they plan to significantly increase production.

Several European cities are banning burning gasoline or diesel in city centers. You will only be able to drive BEVs,FCEVs or PHEVs in electric propulsion mode in these city centers. So that might be a reason for AM BEV.