Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin Styling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday from a barrista at my regular Starbucks: "How do you like your new Aston Martin?"

I ahve not had my car a week, and have had at least 5 different people say: 'nice car, what is it?' To which I reply: 'It's a Tesla" Then they ask: 'Who Makes It?' I have to answer Tesla, but I feel like im calling them stupid for not knowing!!!

Anyone have any better way to respond??

If you can give them a brochure they may learn about Tesla and perhaps some will even make a purchase down the line. I plan to keep a number of brochures in the vehicle and hand them out when inquiries are made.

I have a bunch of Model S brochures in the frunk for that very purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

'It's a Tesla" Then they ask: 'Who Makes It?' I have to answer Tesla, but I feel like im calling them stupid for not knowing!!!

I have been around that loop hundreds of times, and have yet to find my way out of it...

I ahve not had my car a week, and have had at least 5 different people say: 'nice car, what is it?' To which I reply: 'It's a Tesla" Then they ask: 'Who Makes It?' I have to answer Tesla, but I feel like im calling them stupid for not knowing!!!

Not sure what the result would be, but I'd try: 'Who Makes It?' -> "The new Tesla factory in Fremont, California."

Well, you could say "It's a Tesla Model S" instead, I suppose.

When I get the "Who makes it?" question when I tell folks the car I'm going to get (GOING TO GET BECAUSE I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN MY VIN YET DESPITE ALL THE OTHER FOLKS WITH HIGHER P# GETTING THEIRS ARGH), I use that as an excuse to explain what Tesla is, that it's in the US, blah, blah, etc.

"An American start-up called TeslaMotors. Same guy that did SpaceX."
Lots of info, including an excuse for not having heard of it.

There is one design element, IMO, with Aston Martin near-perfection that I wish had influenced the Model S -- it's their beautiful design for front grilles. Just a stylistic preference. And, this grille has a somewhat similar shape to the Model S nosecone too...

aston_grille.jpg

There is one design element, IMO, with Aston Martin near-perfection that I wish had influenced the Model S -- it's their beautiful design for front grilles. Just a stylistic preference. And, this grille has a somewhat similar shape to the Model S nosecone too...

View attachment 18342

It's a wonderful grille, but the aerodynamics of it must be dreadful. Always tradeoffs.

It's a wonderful grille, but the aerodynamics of it must be dreadful. Always tradeoffs.

Agreed, speed, efficiency and aerodynamics come first . But, the look of that AM grille (and the shape that somewhat loosely resembles the nosecone) has been inspiring me to think up with something similar for the Model S. Just saw a CF wrapped grille on another thread and I think there is an opportunity to do some cool mods to the nosecone, a la Aston Martin (who does it so beautifully).

Agreed, speed, efficiency and aerodynamics come first . But, the look of that AM grille (and the shape that somewhat loosely resembles the nosecone) has been inspiring me to think up with something similar for the Model S. Just saw a CF wrapped grille on another thread and I think there is an opportunity to do some cool mods to the nosecone, a la Aston Martin (who does it so beautifully).

If you can come up with something that doesn't compromise the aerodynamics, more power to you. And a new product.