Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not locked! I see the full milage expected for the 90kWh pack.

However its kind of annoying all my displays still have the 70D on them, but I have the 90D pack. I wonder if Tesla will change this for me to reflect the new battery.

Won't hurt to send an email! They've updated the config for others before when they got a different replacement pack.

Won't hurt to send an email! They've updated the config for others before when they got a different replacement pack.
Won't hurt? Disagree. This isn't a situation where nothing bad could possibly come from it by being the squeaky wheel.

What I've seen is larger packs being software locked to the capacity and visualization of size of pack that the car had previously. In this case, I'd be thankful for the added range and benefits that come from a larger pack & get over the fact that the car still displays what it always has. I think it can hurt in this case as Tesla could absolutely decide to make a change to how the pack performs rather than how it displays.

In summary, if Tesla makes a mistake in your favor I wouldn't be quick to point it out to them and just hope they never audit and catch the mistake they made.

Won't hurt? Disagree.

What I've seen is larger packs being software locked to the capacity and visualization of size of pack that the car had previously.

Honest question, can you provide a documented account of this? I’ve seen the opposite. I can’t imagine what they have to gain by doing so, but that’s neither here nor there. I’d really be interested in seeing a case where this happened and they arbitrarily locked the new battery to the capacity of the old.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Honest question, can you provide a documented account of this? I’ve seen the opposite. I can’t imagine what they have to gain by doing so, but that’s neither here nor there. I’d really be interested in seeing a case where this happened and they arbitrarily locked the new battery to the capacity of the old.

Ostrichsak is right, Yesterday I had an issue where my car was locked in turtle mode because Tesla tried to lock the battery to 70. I had to contact them through the app and they fixed it, right now the fix is unrestricting the battery but eventually I believe they will lock the battery I received ( 90 kWh ) down to the 70 kWh one.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just wanted to update this again, Battery was locked to 70 kWh. So even if you get the 90 kWh pack like I did you will be locked to what you paid for.

As of right now, they told me I can't even pay to have it unlocked but maybe in the future we'll see.

You're still way better off than you were before; a larger battery will degrade less, charge faster, and can be charged to 100% and left at 100% without the same risk to the battery as you'd see with actually charging to the top range of capacity.

If you sell the car back to Telsa, they'll 100% uncap / rebrand it as a 90, but from their perspective they don't want people playing the moral hazard game of abusing the battery hoping to get the big mamma battery.

Did your paperwork include a price for the part? Does your car have air or steel suspension?

I think we're starting to see the real answer to the question "How does tesla intend to support the first gen S/X platform's batteries?" -- that answer seems to be "one sku for all smaller batteries; a 100 pack missing a couple modules using the generation of 18650 cells in service in 2020".

As of now I don't think we have an answer to if the S/X is moving off of the battery sled design used thus far; when they do that marks an important date in the long-term support of the older cars because it means they're going to be winding down their battery manufacturing capacity for that generation.

In a perfect world they'd make a new battery that uses the 4680 cells but can fit under a stock 2016ish S, but I wouldn't bet on it; this is probably the "sustaining engineering" battery for these from now to the end of time, and that's probably okay.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You're still way better off than you were before; a larger battery will degrade less, charge faster, and can be charged to 100% and left at 100% without the same risk to the battery as you'd see with actually charging to the top range of capacity.

If you sell the car back to Telsa, they'll 100% uncap / rebrand it as a 90, but from their perspective they don't want people playing the moral hazard game of abusing the battery hoping to get the big mamma battery.

Did your paperwork include a price for the part? Does your car have air or steel suspension?
Yep! I had talked to them because my friend that got me into my Tesla was concerned about how Tesla capped the battery, they could actually be capping it at the bottom end and not the top end( ie, you charge to 90kWh but are only allowed to use 70kWh of it and vice versa )

However after talking to them, its capped at the top end so I can safely charge to 100% whenever I want, pretty cool for long range trips and not worry about damaging it.

I have the steel suspension, my paperwork for the new battery didn't include any kind of price since the payout is from the warranty, not myself. sorry can't help there.

I've just had my HV battery in my 2013 Model S fail and get replaced with this part as well, under warranty (barely - a few months left on the original 8 yr battery warranty). This is the second battery replacement my car has had now.

Leading up this replacement, I had loads of other failures and repairs. The car has been in service most of the last 4 months or so. I have the extended service plan, and have been paying lots of deductibles, probably all of these electrical problems stemmed from the fault in the HV battery in some way.

Charge port failed - replaced (paid deductible)
On-board charger failed - replaced (paid deductible)
TPMS shorted out and took down entire electrical system, car towed - replaced and upgraded (paid deductible)
DC to DC converter failed and took down entire car, car towed - replaced with gen 2 system, rebuilt entire frunk area (paid deductible)
Headlights failed while driving on highway - replaced (paid deductible)
Car shut down at side of road and was undrivable, car towed, replaced HV battery - covered under warranty

1615569397620.png

I'm really hoping these problems are solved! My ESA and original battery / drivetrain warranty runs out in October. The refresh Model S is sure looking appealing these days :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dekuramen
Wow, glad your issues were covered! Before the latest battery replacement, did you charge to 90% or higher than that? Tesla told me generally charging to that level should be fine since with the latest software, the cars should automatically balance their batteries. So now I try to always charge to 90% or lower. Sometimes I may charge to 95% if really needed.

Wow, glad your issues were covered! Before the latest battery replacement, did you charge to 90% or higher than that? Tesla told me generally charging to that level should be fine since with the latest software, the cars should automatically balance their batteries. So now I try to always charge to 90% or lower. Sometimes I may charge to 95% if really needed.

I regularly charge to 90%. Not even sure if I ever charged this pack above that, maybe once or twice. The pack that failed was already a replacement. My original battery failed and was replaced in July 2018.

Yeah I can't imagine how much all these repairs lately would have cost if I didn't at least have the ESA. It has still been $1500 or so in deductibles in the last 4 months.

We just replaced our out of warranty 85kWh battery with a new, not remanufactured 90kWh battery at a total cost of ~$22,000 for our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Model S. I picked it up from the Service Center yesterday (Earth Day 2021). The new battery gives us more range, faster charging (V3), and comes with a 4 year/ 50,000 miles warranty. We are happy with the results this far.

Attachments

• 20210412_091654.jpg
    20210412_091654.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 20210423_142851.jpg
    20210423_142851.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Screenshot_20210423-105337_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-105337_Tesla.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 175
We just replaced our out of warranty 85kWh battery with a new, not remanufactured 90kWh battery at a total cost of ~$22,000 for our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Model S. I picked it up from the Service Center yesterday (Earth Day 2021). The new battery gives us more range, faster charging (V3), and comes with a 4 year/ 50,000 miles warranty. We are happy with the results this far.
When you say v3 charging, if you have time or can, please post some info on the speed you get at the SuC at various % of charge. Thanks

Reactions: Sig72
Cool..If you have SMT or other can you post screenshot of Nominal Capacity and charge cycles info