TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

At 6'7" will I fit?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bigbill, Sep 29, 2012.

1. bigbill

bigbill Member

I'd love to buy a Roadster, but I don't know about fitting into it.
    Anyone even close to my height want to comment?

Bill

2. JoshG

JoshG Member

You'll fit fine... assuming you don't ever need to put the roof on the car for any reason! :biggrin:

3. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

You will be ok to drive the car. Its entry and exit with the top on that will take work. Hopefully someone in Oregon in this forum will let you try it out. I would if you were here.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

5. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Never saw that before. Pretty darn funny, actually. But worthwhile. I am only 6'2 (6'4 with my boots, but doubtful I will ever drive it with my boots).

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'd definitely say test drive one with a top on before you buy. It will be a very tight fit for you. Maybe the Model S performance might work if the Roadster doesn't?

7. bigbill

bigbill Member

Good idea. I checked out the S soon after the Portland store opened, and I fit very well in there even without the glass top. So I'm reservation #11389.
    I also have a second home, and the Roadster would be perfect there when the S arrives here in a year.
    I watched the vid, and it looks like he does have a (very) little room to spare, so I'm going to see if I can get in one around here. There's a blue one for sale in Portland.
    Any idea if the hard top has more or less room than the rag top?

8. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

There's slightly more room with the hard top. I'm 6'2 and the Roadster is snug but comfortable for me. The biggest issue is visibility of stop lights, especially when you're the first car at the line. You'll find you'll need to duck down to see them.

9. dsm363

Yeah, the hardtop does have a tiny amount of extra room. I'm almost 6'3" tall and my head touches the roof if I don't slouch down in the seat a little. Your head will stick up over the windshield without the top so wear glasses and don't do the EV grin too much because of bugs:smile:

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#10 Doug_G, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Funny, I find I have more room with the soft top. I'm 5'10" but have been known to occasionally wear a helmet in the car...

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Same here. My soft top has more head room.

12. bigbill

bigbill Member

Thanks to all who replied here. I went to Portland to try out the dark blue Roadster. I'm happy to say that I fit (just barely), and so I'm buying it.
    Tomorrow I get started on the wiring for the charger.
    Thanks again, Bill

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Congrats, Bill!

14. dsm363

I must be remembering it incorrectly. It's been well over a year since I had the soft-top on. Good to know.

Congrats Bill! Great news.

15. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Congratulations, Bill! Welcome to the club.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There a 6 7 (I think) qwner here in LA.

For a year or so he had made a custom soft top strut to arc higher over his head.

Last tine I saw him he had notched out the CF of roll bar over the seat for his head and has literally cut out the CF bottom the the seat so he is sitting on the floor. That part looks normal to the eye though.

The man loves his Tesla!

17. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Congrats Bill!

You can remove the sun visors to help with visibility. They slide off the mount pins, which opens up a couple more inches of windshield space.

18. bigbill

bigbill Member

Not a bad idea. I was looking at that bar in the one I am buying. I think I have some stainless I can use to make these.
    I'll check out seat mods. I've had to do them in the past. I'm not really into mods that can't be undone, like grinding away parts!
    An excellent idea. I don't need visors anyway. I think I'll remove the pins too. They might be dangerous if I get bounced around in there.
    I might get a small window sewn into the ragtop for traffic light visibility. It's a problem for me with every car I've owned, even with my big Chrysler SUV.
    There are a lot of advantages to being tall, but there are a few drawbacks too!

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If your head managed to contact that pin it would only be because your head was sticking out through the windshield. I think you'd have bigger problems at that point.

Simpler cosmetic solution is to cover it with a piece of black heat-shrink tubing.

For the record, I didn't bother on mine.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. I have never seen anyone remove the pins and rubber tube or black shrink wrap makes it go away.