Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Delivery, Will Tesla Replace Wheels on Already-built New Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Suppose you put a deposit on a new, already-built inventory car. And say it comes with wheels you'd like to change.
  • Will your Tesla Service Center change out the wheels/tires for you ahead of time?
  • Or can Tesla make the wheel exchange for you just after you officially receive the car?
Based on what I've learned so far, the answer is a surprising "no" to both.
  1. Until you actually pay for and officially receive the car, Tesla is hesitant, to say the least, to change it. It was built a certain way, with certain features, and that is how it must stay (except for mechanical problems, of course) until after purchase. That's what I was told.

2. And in true "Catch 22" fashion, you can't dutifully make a service appointment ahead of time because you don't yet own the car that needs the service. (Ha, ha.) I assume that by the time you get the inspection and paperwork over with the service center will be booked for the day, so you would probably have to come back another time. Not such a terrible thing, except for people trying to minimize unnecessary wear on a new set of tires they fully intend to sell, if possible, as "new."
It's a little disappointing.

I'll update this if I learn anything new, but that's it for now. If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Tesla's reticence to make changes until you pay for the car makes sense to me. Until you pay and sign all the paperwork you can back out at the last moment and they would have to undo the work at their expense.

This type of thing is usually handled on a "Due Bill" so it is documented and the price agreed to at the time of sale. It is scheduled with the service department and the work performed after all the paperwork is signed, money changes hands, and ownership transfers

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
You could show up to take delivery and bring the new tires with you.

Then drive to the closest tire store and have them swapped out for you.

Yes, I think that is the answer. (I could not even talk to anyone in the Service Department today at my local Tesla SC. Communication is 100% by phone app, and you need to have a car already in the system. I have the VIN, but mine isn't yet, since it's not paid for.)

I'll have to put some miles on the new 22s, but it will have to be OK. I was initially worried about taking a Tesla to a general tire store, but people tell me that these places now know how to handle Tesla cars. I just checked and there are tons of tire stores nearby (Les Schwab, America's Tires, Pep Boys, Goodyear, more), Have to find a reliable one I can leave the wheels at the day before.

What I need now is a close-to-new set of 20" Slimline wheels and Tesla-installed tires for a Model X. Maybe $1,600?
  • Close-to-new in order to get undamaged rims and freshest tires.
  • As new as possible in order to get the youngest genuine-Tesla TPMS sensors.
  • With tires installed by Tesla in order to be sure to get the OEM noise-reduction versions (which some aftermarket tire stores may not bother with).
Continental Noise Reducing ContiSilent Tire Symbol.jpg Noise Reducing Sound Absorbing Foam.jpg

By the way, once the swap is made will I be able to carry four 22" Tesla wheels+tires home in my Model X?

Against my will I am fast becoming a Tesla wheel-and-tire "expert." ;)

Four tires/wheels fit easy inside. Bring a packing blanket to keep from smudging up your brand new interior.

Maybe place an ad, offering to swap your tires/wheels with another new Tesla owners. Give them a great price to encourage an easy deal and have them both swapped at the same tire store.

In an unrelated note, as an experienced California Model X owner, where do you land on the front license plate holder debate?
  1. Drill or not drill?

2. If not drill, cheap (s/s) or expensive?

No-Hole Tesla Model X Front License Plate Installation kit (Stainless Steel) | eBay

3. If expensive, make?

(a) ThatGrin? - ThatGrin.com | Slipstream Bracket No Drilling Front License Plate Mounting Solution for Tesla X

(b) SnapPlate - SnapPlate Model X Removable Front License Plate Mount

(c) other?

Don’t even bother. Been driving with no front plate on all my cars and never had an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and tps5352
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
We bought a SnapPlate to clear a fix-it ticket in California. It was a ticket I was happy to receive, because I actually was stopped for speeding but he let me go with the fix-it ticket on the front plate. On my 3, I went with a license plate wrap on the front and will do the same with out X replacement that is on order. It actually looks pretty good, in my opinion. Don’t think a lot of states allow them though.

Also, some of the mules that have been spotted have matching painted front license plate frames. These don’t look bad, in my opinion.

You could show up to take delivery and bring the new tires with you.

Then drive to the closest tire store and have them swaped out for you.

That ended up being exactly the procedure I followed. Bought a new set of 20-inch wheels/tires from another area M-X owner and used a nearby America's Tire. They were great, and free.