Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Home Charging costs vs. Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double check your utility bill. While the power generation rate may be $0.07 per kWh there is usually a second charge for power distribution and infrastructure (for delivering the power to your home) plus additional taxes, fuel recovery fees and environmental fees.) Your true cost per kWh is probably at least 2X what you pay for power generation. To account for all costs take the total amount owed as shown on the utility bill and divide this by the total kWh consumed.
mine comes out to $.17 vs the .12-.14 tiers shown.

Here is some info on our electric useage and costs.

Supercharging rates have gone up and we only use them on trips. I usually look at the rates at the various locations near where we need to charge and choose the lowest one. About 2 months after we got our M3, we installed solar panels (6.27 kw system) on our home (2/2020). In the past 2 years, we have generated more electricity than we use. There are only 2 of us and we don't use too much electricity. Since 12/2019, we have driven approximately 24,000 miles on the Tesla. The solar system cost almost $16,000 after the federal tax credit, not including the roof replacement that was needed anyway. That total included an electrical panel upgrade ($2,200), the installation of 2 240 volt/60 amp EV outlets in the garage (1 Tesla & 1 14-50) and an external 120 volt waterproof outlet for a security camera. On our last SCE annual settlement bill, we had an excess of 1,375 kwh and received compensation of $52.97, 3.922 cents per kwh. I hear solar panels are more efficient and less expensive but, probably harder to get right now. Overall, we are feeling good about our situation with the Tesla and electricity costs. Note we were able to pay for our solar panels instead of leasing them. With the cost of gasoline, we figure the payback period for our solar system will be shorter than the original estimate of 8 years but that depends on how much we drive. Earlier this year we sold our ICE vehicle. Hope this info helps others as they think about getting solar panels.

Reactions: mservoss
If only mass home electricity was cheap, we pay .29 cents a kWh all day no matter the time. freakin brutal, which i was in st george Utah where its .06 cents
Right now our electricity rates in Southern California (Edison) ranges from .32 to .46/kwh. In the summer it will range from .33 to .53. That's why solar makes so much sense in this area. Rates are only going up as the utilities need to pay for damages from wildfires that are caused by their downed lines.