Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Home Charging costs vs. Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those who use both. I know there are many factors that come into play, especially location and peak/off-peak hours, but just as a broad approximation: how much less expensive is charging at home than using a super charger? Is it as much as 50% cheaper?

I pay $0.065/kWh at home. I recently used a Supercharger this weekend at a rate of $0.32/kWh. For me it's about 1/5 as much to charge at home. Also, I don't have to make a special visit to a Supercharger (good thing too because the nearest one is 35 miles away).

The national average for residential electricity is apparently $0.1059/kWh. I have no hard statistics but my own experience for the past year and a half shows Supercharger prices average around $0.267/kWh. That includes the end of 2020 and all of 2021. I think prices have been slowly increasing and Big Earl's reference of 1/3 is probably a good national average.

Question for those who use both. I know there are many factors that come into play, especially location and peak/off-peak hours, but just as a broad approximation: how much less expensive is charging at home than using a super charger? Is it as much as 50% cheaper?
Charging at home would be $0.11kWh if I didn't have solar; local superchargers are $0.35

My home charging cost is close to $.013 / kWh all-in. I briefly looked into converting to a Time-of-Use plan, but it's not clear that would work out for me. My dominant home electricity use is not charging the Tesla, it's running the central air during the hot part of the day - and I can't shift that to nighttime. Running appliances and the HPWC at night won't make up for that on-peak use. Solar would be a natural, but a heavy up-front investment.

I believe the supercharger rate is 35 cents locally, nearly 3X my home charging cost, so I won't be using those much at all. I do still have 1000 miles from my referral program (ordered the car in 2Q 2021). These will expire in May, and I've never used any so far. I'd be happy to give them to a friend but it seems this is not possible.

Reactions: kiddole
Are you guys adding electricity delivery charge when calculating home charging cost or just supply charge? In my opinion if we don't add delivery and monthly charge it would be inaccurate cost for home charging.

I don't count the connection fee, because it doesn't matter how much I use it's going to be the same. All other aspects are calculated in. Turns out I don't actually pay $0.065/kWh. The real number is $0.0648627450980392/kWh.

:)

I'm in a town with a co-op. Our utilities are wicked cheap. Unfortunately I will be moving soon and everything is going to nearly double.

My home averages .22/kWh that includes all costs and pretty much year round. Luckily my boss put in a charger at office for my Old Prius Prime years ago, and now we charge about 3 cars during the day. Since I get in first I get it for free for at least 2 hours every day. So anyway, at home is about 2/3 Supercharger price, but I hardly pay any thing for normal commute.

Reactions: HellsKitchen