Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Home Charging costs vs. Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this is relative to where you live…

You have some states as low as 0.06kwh

If you’re in California. Rates are pretty high.

Supercharger is.48 peak and.24 off peak

My home is on a tier 25/32/45
If I go TOU it’s .20 off peak and .45 peak

I’ve decided to just use the supercharger
Agree with this. Without solar the prices are about equivalent in Southern California. I haven't paid for electricity in about 6 months though. Breakeven point for solar will be around 3.5-4 years.

Supercharger 0.48 peak, 0.24 off peak.
SCE TOU 4-9PM - 0.52 peak (weekdays), 0.43 peak (weekends), 0.33 off peak

• Informative
Reactions: TrooperCA
Agree with this. Without solar the prices are about equivalent in Southern California. I haven't paid for electricity in about 6 months though. Breakeven point for solar will be around 3.5-4 years.

Supercharger 0.48 peak, 0.24 off peak.
SCE TOU 4-9PM - 0.52 peak (weekdays), 0.43 peak (weekends), 0.33 off peak
Why would you use the 4-9 plan????????? Like throwing away money?

Question for those who use both. I know there are many factors that come into play, especially location and peak/off-peak hours, but just as a broad approximation: how much less expensive is charging at home than using a super charger? Is it as much as 50% cheaper?
100% cheaper for me. I'm off grid and 100% solar.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Why would you use the 4-9 plan????????? Like throwing away money?
If I understand it correctly, switching to TOU PRIME would get me much less credit for solar generation. That in conjunction with the minimum daily charge for PRIME makes it a wash or a loss. If we switch to all electric cars and we end up consuming a lot more than generating then I would def make the switch.

• Informative
Reactions: TrooperCA
Just got my first bill from our energy co-op after buy a MYLR. I used ~400kw more this month then historically (~1500 miles of driving) and it cost me $40 at 10cents/kwh.

At first I was like "oh no!" but then realized I used to spend $400-600/mo to drive my 4Runner the same distance.

Exactly. Had the same feeling, but was feeding the 330i over $65 per week.

Reactions: LoudMusic
If I understand it correctly, switching to TOU PRIME would get me much less credit for solar generation. That in conjunction with the minimum daily charge for PRIME makes it a wash or a loss. If we switch to all electric cars and we end up consuming a lot more than generating then I would def make the switch.
Thanks for sharing this bit about solar. I haven’t decided if it is worthwhile for me to lease solar from tesla or commit to buying…

Thanks for sharing this bit about solar. I haven’t decided if it is worthwhile for me to lease solar from tesla or commit to buying…
If you are planning to reside in the house for several years, would definitely buy this year and get in before NEM (net energy metering) 3.0 while getting the 26% tax credit. If you can swing it, have a house with a relatively new roof/panel you plan on living in for several years, and an EV it's a no brainer to buy solar in California given how expensive electricity is and how NEM 2.0 is still in effect. It may be a more difficult decision if you have an old roof or old panel as that would significantly increase the cost of installation.

Last edited:
If you are planning to reside in the house for several years, would definitely buy this year and get in before NEM (net energy metering) 3.0 while getting the 26% tax credit. If you can swing it, have a house with a relatively new roof/panel you plan on living in for several years, and an EV it's a no brainer to buy solar in California given how expensive electricity is and how NEM 2.0 is still in effect. It may be a more difficult decision if you have an old roof or old panel as that would significantly increase the cost of installation.
Such is the boat I'm currently in. Old roof and old panel (100 amp)... won't be able to swing a new roof, new panel, AND purchased (as opposed to leased) solar.

I though Tesla did not charge /kwh any more as it is now based on the charge rate you are receiving billed /minute which is variable. I have only used the SC a few times in over 20 months as charging at home works well for me not to mention I pay only 4.5 cents/KWH. The new Tesla way of calculating really screws things up if you try to compare to home charging costs. Tesla updates Supercharger fee structure in Canada following similar changes in the US [Update]

Tesla is phasing out time-based billing and switching to energy-based billing wherever possible. Charging by the kWh delivered is the most fair and equitable method.