Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Home Charging costs vs. Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can view the nearby Supercharger locations using the Navigation system from inside the Tesla vehicle. You can tap on the Supercharger icon on the screen to display the pricing. Also, the voice Command "Display Superchargers" will show you the nearby Superchargers.

You can view the nearby Supercharger locations using the Navigation system from inside the Tesla vehicle. You can tap on the Supercharger icon on the screen to display the pricing. Also, the voice Command "Display Superchargers" will show you the nearby Superchargers.
Thanks!

Ok wow supercharger off peak is actually cheaper than my home electricity at the lowest tier, $0.24 vs $0.31/kWh. I even looked at EV and ToU plan and the lowest off peak is $0.24 for midnight - 7am, TOU doesn't even make sense for us since we both work from home....

Last edited:
Thanks!

Ok wow supercharger off peak is actually cheaper than my home electricity at the lowest tier, $0.24 vs $0.31/kWh. I even looked at EV and ToU plan and the lowest off peak is $0.24 for midnight - 7am, TOU doesn't even make sense for us since we both work from home....
If you charge at home (at all) the TOU schedule will let you set your car to only charge if 1) it’s plugged in and 2) it waits until the schedule you program is at the lowest cost. Once setup it’s a great cost reducer without having to overthink when you plug in. I think it’s brilliant.

If you charge at home (at all) the TOU schedule will let you set your car to only charge if 1) it’s plugged in and 2) it waits until the schedule you program is at the lowest cost. Once setup it’s a great cost reducer without having to overthink when you plug in. I think it’s brilliant.
Off peak TOU on EV plan is the same a supercharger off-peak and it makes peak hours much more expensive (I stay just under tier 1 right now), and I don't have a charger installed yet in my condo and knowing this I don't plan to. I understand for many people it makes sense, it just doesn't work for me in San Francisco :(

EV plan:
tesla.jpg

TOU and Regular:
TOU reg.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, home charging in the SF Bay Area (and more generally in coastal California from my understanding) is not cheaper than off-peak SC charging, which feels very illogical, but it is the world we live in. For what I drive, I personally don’t have a home charger installed as the closest SC is conveniently located and I have free chargers at work. For people who have more frequent charging needs, home charging makes more sense as you pay for convenience (don’t lose 40min charging sitting in your car) and the long term battery degradation which is faster if supercharging every single time.
Of course, the most financially efficient solution long term is to get solar, but that is a big investment, and you would need to be sure that the house you live in is your long term home.

I received my car yesterday, and took it out for a 200 mile shakedown cruise today.

I had to hit up the Supercharger on the way and paid $.28/kWh. At home I pay $.14/kWh peak and $0.00 off peak. Plus I have solar and batteries, so that lowers my cost too. Right now I am charging off of 120, so I’ll leave the car charging all day. Once I get my EVSE installed I’ll looking into setting a schedule so I only charge during off peak. So if I charge at peak rates and pull from the grid, I’ll pay half what the supercharger costs.

Off peak TOU on EV plan is the same a supercharger off-peak and it makes peak hours much more expensive (I stay just under tier 1 right now), and I don't have a charger installed yet in my condo and knowing this I don't plan to. I understand for many people it makes sense, it just doesn't work for me in San Francisco :(

EV plan:
View attachment 786835

TOU and Regular:
View attachment 786836
If you factor in charging depending how much you drive, you will be solidly in tier 2 and 28/33 is less than the average of 31/39. Yes, it is more than off peak supercharging but the convenience of being able to plug in at home and not need to go sit at a SC for 30 minutes on a certain schedule might win you over. And if you use the mobile connector, you don’t need to pay any extra money for a charger.

EV plan:
View attachment 786835

TOU and Regular:
View attachment 786836
Before today I knew that PGE sucked and this just further solidifies that!

As I wait for my M3LR to arrive I’ve been thinking of installing an EVSE, but this is making me rethink my plans. I have the luxury of being to work from most of the time, and otherwise my daily commute is <10 miles round trip. My plan is to charge off an existing 5-20 outlet on a dedicated circuit on my TOU plan. It’s not the cheapest but I won’t need to pay $500+ for an EVSE and installation, nor is it fastest but it should satisfy my needs. I’ll try that for a couple of months and then reassess from there.

PGE, thanks for the roaming blackouts, forest fires and making it costly to charge my M3 at home.

Those of you charging at 120 volts with high power rates, keep in mind that 120 volt charging results in substantially higher losses than 240 volt charging.

At 120 volts, the overhead losses can equate to 15% of total power consumed. If you charge for 10 hours, you’re going to waste 2.5 kWh just running the car’s computer and cooling pumps.

If you charge at 32 amps at 240 volts, you’d add the same range in two hours of charging, with just 0.5 kWh of overhead consumption. That 5X difference adds up over time.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I pay $0.065/kWh at home. I recently used a Supercharger this weekend at a rate of $0.32/kWh. For me it's about 1/5 as much to charge at home. Also, I don't have to make a special visit to a Supercharger (good thing too because the nearest one is 35 miles away).

The national average for residential electricity is apparently $0.1059/kWh. I have no hard statistics but my own experience for the past year and a half shows Supercharger prices average around $0.267/kWh. That includes the end of 2020 and all of 2021. I think prices have been slowly increasing and Big Earl's reference of 1/3 is probably a good national average.
Did you include all the riders in your home usage? Why kWh rate is about the same as yours, but the riders make it $0.10-$0.12 kWH, which is about 1/3 of a supercharger.

Question for those who use both. I know there are many factors that come into play, especially location and peak/off-peak hours, but just as a broad approximation: how much less expensive is charging at home than using a super charger? Is it as much as 50% cheaper?
From SoCal; Recently got delivery of a MYP; I find myself using 40 kilowatt-hours per day at about $.23 cents per kw
Wondering if I’m actually saving any money over my Prius? 🤔 Or should I invest an additional $25K on solar panels? 😬

It's costing almost the same. It's about $.10-.12 per mile for the Prius assuming $5-$6 a gallon and 50mpg. You probably get 3 miles per kWh on the MYP if you factor in charging losses and daily drain. That comes out to $.08 per mile.

Of course, the size and performance of the cars aren't anywhere close to the same.

One piece of advice is to look for places with cheap slow charging at where you often spend time anyway. For example, my library has Charge Point chargers at 6+ kw for $1/hour. That's actually cheaper than any rate you can get here in SF.

It's costing almost the same. It's about $.10-.12 per mile for the Prius assuming $5-$6 a gallon and 50mpg. You probably get 3 miles per kWh on the MYP if you factor in charging losses and daily drain. That comes out to $.08 per mile.

Of course, the size and performance of the cars aren't anywhere close to the same.

One piece of advice is to look for places with cheap slow charging at where you often spend time anyway. For example, my library has Charge Point chargers at 6+ kw for $1/hour. That's actually cheaper than any rate you can get here in SF.
My electric rate is is 7 cents a KwH, compared to 25cents which is what I believe the average Supercharger rate is.

I will have to upgrade from 100 amp service at home to get to Level 2, but I've decided to hold off because I only commute to a nearby train whose garage will get me free level 1 charging. That's about 10 hours a day. When the car is not there, I will plug in at home form another 8-10 hours.

My workweek is 4 days, so I imagine I might have to hit a nearby supercharger once a week or two. Depending how that all goes, I may not even have to put the Level 2 in at home. Upgrading the electric service seems really pricy.

My electric rate is is 7 cents a KwH, compared to 25cents which is what I believe the average Supercharger rate is.

I will have to upgrade from 100 amp service at home to get to Level 2, but I've decided to hold off because I only commute to a nearby train whose garage will get me free level 1 charging. That's about 10 hours a day. When the car is not there, I will plug in at home form another 8-10 hours.

My workweek is 4 days, so I imagine I might have to hit a nearby supercharger once a week or two. Depending how that all goes, I may not even have to put the Level 2 in at home. Upgrading the electric service seems really pricy.

Consider asking your electrician how much spare capacity you have available for car charging. Even a 20 amp 240 volt circuit (3.8 kW) provides a significant improvement over a regular 120 volt outlet (1.4 kW), and it's a heck of a lot less expensive than a complete service and panel upgrade.

My electric rate is is 7 cents a kWh
Double check your utility bill. While the power generation rate may be $0.07 per kWh there is usually a second charge for power distribution and infrastructure (for delivering the power to your home) plus additional taxes, fuel recovery fees and environmental fees.) Your true cost per kWh is probably at least 2X what you pay for power generation. To account for all costs take the total amount owed as shown on the utility bill and divide this by the total kWh consumed.

SoCal SDGE people, for $16/month you can take your super off peak rate from ~$.42/kwh to $.10 in winter and $.11 in summer with the EV TOU 5 rate plan from midnight to 0600 weekdays and midnight to 1400 on weekends and holidays. Worth it for me and a significant delta in rate for everything at your home (AC, Dishwasher, EV charging, etc).

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe