Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AT&T 3G service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ya know, on my 2013 Ford Fusion they just had a "customer care recall" where they upgraded Everyone's AT&T 3G modems to AT&T LTE. When I asked why, they told me AT&T was dropping the 3G network and Ford wanted to continue to be able to reach the cars for updates, etc.

I wonder if all the "app loading" issues is AT&T encouraging upgrades.

Is anyone with LTE having issues?

-Greg

ya know, on my 2013 Ford Fusion they just had a "customer care recall" where they upgraded Everyone's AT&T 3G modems to AT&T LTE. When I asked why, they told me AT&T was dropping the 3G network and Ford wanted to continue to be able to reach the cars for updates, etc.

-Greg

Ford updates cars over the air? That's news to me.

Anyway, I'm one of the ones who upgraded 3G to LTE and paid the $500 or whatever.

Overall I'd say "not worth it".

Unless 3G is being sunset, stick with it on the older cars LTE doesn't help much ... especially if your 3G coverage is good. Sure, nav tiles fill in the grey areas a bit quicker and songs on slacker fill the buffer fast, but so what? Browser experience is still dreadful.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

-Greg
Actually it was the LTE cars that had the data connection issue this week. The 3G cars were fine.

I have 3G in my car but have a loaner now with LTE. I noticed it drops down to 3G in mountain areas with low signal, and seems to drop out completely in the same regions my 3G does. And for speed comparison, I agree with the statements above that it seems that LTE hardly makes a difference for Nav. So I'm happy to not have Tesla crack open my screen to do the LTE upgrade since my screen so far has not failed like others. If it does, I'll consider the LTE update. For now on long trips I take my iPad which can choose from different cell carriers and function as a hotspot, and choose a good carrier for the ride (usually Verizon). This is mainly to speed up streaming radio (I end up usually streaming my local FM stations and NPR).

• Informative
Reactions: israndy