TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AT&T is having network issues in DC metro (elsewhere?) 8/15

Discussion in 'Technical' started by andrewket, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I went to turn on the A/C using the Tesla app and it reported it was waking my car. That's unusual, as I have the "stay connected" option selected, and I was in an area with coverage. The app was never able to connect.

Got to the car and google maps wouldn't update and slacker wasn't working. UI said I was in 3G (also odd). I rebooted. After a long while, the car reconnected with LTE. Google maps and slacker still wouldn't work. I then turned on my verizon hotspot and connected the car. Everything started working right away.

A google search reveals a few articles about AT&T having problems two days ago (8/13). I haven't seen anything for today -- yet.

Andrew
    Note to mods: I couldn't figure out where to place this thread. It's not Model S or X specific, it's not about Tesla Motors, etc. I think several of the S and X areas could be combined into one. The UI is 99% the same between the two cars.

• Helpful x 1
  2. WhiteMS85

WhiteMS85 Member

I am having an issue similar as you described today - started happening just a few moments ago. Cant get Tune-In, Slacker, app won't connect, etc... I'm near Daytona Beach, FL

3. neptune2000

I am on Los Angeles. The tesla app is unable to connect or wake up my model S. Never seen this before.

4. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

In Los Angeles. No Google Maps. Argh.

5. rmayii

rmayii Member

Same issue in Minneapolis. Was charging via Chargepoint network and it stopped pinging at 1:43 CST. Tesla App is unable to connect (stuck on "waking car"). I've rebooted my Model S to no avail.

6. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Apparently Tesla is reporting that it is an internal issue, however only cars connected via the WAN (AT&T/North America) seem to be impacted. If you connected via WiFi everything is fine. It sounds like it's a back-end connection problem between AT&T and Tesla.

• Informative x 1
  7. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Same issue in the Amherst, NY area. A work around is to turn on the WiFi hotspot of my T-Mobile phone and getting the Model S to connect to WiFi. Restored map updating. Did the AT&T contract with Tesla expire?

8. Benjamin Brooks

Thread title should update to all of US 3G/LTE coverage area.

9. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Not working in Lexington, KY, but AT&T phone works though.

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Yup, same here in Dallas. I called Tesla Service, and they said they'd had multiple reports of an "AT&T issue". No maps, Slacker or TuneIN. Or anything that relies on the internet connection.

11. Stealth

Stealth Member

Same here in Mesa, AZ. No 3G.

12. 209California

209California Member

Out here in Modesto, CA trying to pre-cool my vehicle and cannot connect... #ThirdWorldProblems

Are the vehicles setup with ESN #'s and registered direct with At&t or is data being routed to the vehicles through Tesla? Someone has to be gathering all this good data.

13. JonW

JonW Member

When this clears up, will trip & charging data from the car upload to Tesla or is any activity during this outage lost? I'm a TeslaLogs user.

14. Benjamin Brooks

It will be lost

15. JonW

JonW Member

$&%T!

Thanks, Benjamin!

16. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

I happened to be at the Fremont service center today at 5 pm. I heard several people call to report their LTE/data connection not working their cars. The service reps were saying, we're experiencing a whole network issue. It's not fixed yet, but the engineers are working on it.

17. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Mine started working again about 2 hours ago.