Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AT&T wants my business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
The technical areas that many of you are quite proficient in are beyond things that I grasp, so I am posting this entreaty to you:

Earlier today an AT&T scheduler for their products rang my doorbell. He said that they had finished up reworking all their connections from copper cable to fiber optic in our neighborhood. We are an AT&T land line customer, but use the dread Comcast for television and internet.

I hate Comcast. It took them over 8 years to figure out that all our problems with crappy reception in the summer and intermittent internet in the winter was due to a 30-year old coaxial cable running from the street to the house. Their "customer service" department flunked ESL classes, but aced the old hard selling curriculum. But I digress.

So, I have a few questions to see if we should switch our telephone, television and internet service to U-Verse:

How good is this fiber optic? Will our television picture become pixelated the way it did (and sometimes still does) with Comcast? Does fiber optics eliminate this aggravation?

What about internet connections and speed? The individual said that we would be receiving this "business router" for the wifi that has a really strong signal--up to a hundred feet or so--maybe more (don't need it, but what the hey!)

How reliable is AT&T if there is a problem? How reliable is their product? What sorts of issues crop up with AT&T's fiber optic or this technology?

The entire package is about $35/month less than what we are paying combined. It includes free long distance on our land line to all North America, a zillion television stations (like we watch only about 10!), plus the internet connection. Something about 24 megs--whatever that means--is included in the standard price.

He even indicated that this is not some promotional offer that will skyrocket after 12 months. The price is their everyday price available to anyone.

So, is this something that would be worth my wife's and my consideration?

Thanking you all in advance!

I despise AT&T with a passion, based upon a long ago experience with them, but was forced to choose uVerse for Internet/tv. I'm loathe to admit it, but for nearly a decade I've been more than satisfied with uVerse. Rock solid performance and the few times I've had to contact customer service it's been trouble free.

If there is truly competition in your area you should pay about $70 to $90 for a triple package of land line, internet and cable TV.

But post your details if you have questions. Also, you can negotiate the price and the features in case you are willing.