TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AT&T/wi-fi whining

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AnOutsider, Mar 19, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#1 AnOutsider, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    With that settled, let me b*%ch about AT&T. Crappy coverage around my home. Admittedly, they cover the nation pretty well though. Hopefully the plans will be reasonable.

Still skeptical. What was "more than meets the eye" and where were the "surprises" at this weekend's event? We all knew the X was going to be there... We did get to see the wheels I guess... Tesla, you've got me jaded!

*edit* I did not create this thread or the title -- this and the following posts were pulled from another thread. In context, the post was meant to relieve some of the negativity floating in that thread. To be clear, as long as the connectivity works on the road and is reasonably priced, I don't really care who provides the service -- and certainly didn't feel it was worth an entire thread -- especially not with the chosen title.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe the cool feature for Signature owners is they'll include whatever center console option for free. For general production, while it would have been nice to include more storage as standard, I think this actually gives people some flexibility. As long as they're not going to charge 1-2K for these upgrades and make them reasonably priced depending on the complexity involved then this gives the people who want it open that option and those that don't something to pick from.

I guess I will have 4 data plans from AT&T then (iPhone, iPad, OVMS and then Model S). Awesome.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I put an AT&T micro cell tower in at my house and went from 1 bar to 5 bars. No monthly charge.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

If you have a wireless router, why not just enable wi-fi on your phone??

5. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Because you can't get phone calls that way. T-mobile used to have this service, but there were not enough phones that supported it so they dropped it.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

/\
    Still works in this part of the country....

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah I think they stopped advertising it but I believe you can get any Android phone to still do Wi-Fi calling. I hope the Model S has a SIM card so I can put my T-Mobile card in there.

8. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Does anyone know if the car will connect to a Mi-Fi hotspot. Might be an easy way to access 4G and beyond without having to upgrade the car.

9. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Sure it will. It has Wi-Fi. Pretty much anything with Wifi will connect to a Mi-Fi.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Whoa, smack-down with the thread title!

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

indeed... But that seems to happen often when posts get moved to new threads. Now it's out of context and it indeed looks like whining. I was just trying to bring some lightness to a thread that was getting so negative. It definitely wasn't something I would have made an entire thread about :rolleyes:

In the end, I don't give a hoot who the plan is through as long as I get good service and it's reasonably priced.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

LOL I made the mistake of doing that post in the original thread... and was mercilessly moved to whining.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

In the spirit of the newly christened thread, I sure wish that AT&T could offer a unified plan for a household that included non-phone and phone 3G/4G devices in a bundle. Paying separately for iPhone, iPad, and Model S is bizarre.

I know that we could just tether the Model S (for a fee), but my phone is on a separate plan (my company's) than my wife's, and I don't want to have to pay two tethering charges.

14. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

There has been rumbling about a family shared data plan since last summer. AT&T is probably waiting until they can figure out how to a) screw customers (ie. not beneficial), b) make it super complex and/or c) just teasing us.