Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At the car wash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Legitimate questions are one thing. Threads that take a legitimate question, assume the worst, cause all sorts of churn over nothing ... not so good.

On an off chance I might find real info online, here's a possible explanation that is true for ALL cars of this type:
One of the most common damages blamed on car washes is scratched paint. According to Jacob Scalici, a Philadelphian who writes about sports cars, the brushes used in a car wash are hard on paint and clear coat.

Legitimate questions are one thing. Threads that take a legitimate question, assume the worst, cause all sorts of churn over nothing ... not so good.

On an off chance I might find real info online, here's a possible explanation that is true for ALL cars of this type:

One of the most common damages blamed on car washes is scratched paint. According to Jacob Scalici, a Philadelphian who writes about sports cars, the brushes used in a car wash are hard on paint and clear coat.

If they are talking about polyethylene strips like seen on cheerleaders' pompoms, I agree. However, most modern "brush-type" car washes use wide strips of a felt-like material that have never harmed one of my cars.

Some of those brushes are stiff scrub brushes! They can scratch any car. Even if a manufacturer was mum on the subject of how to wash a car I owned, I'd never take it through one of those.

(And we're now approaching 50 posts on this topic alone.)

For those that have had a chance to attend the Get Amped Tour and saw the finish in person will appreciate Tesla's advice on washing the car; it is a beautiful painted car that has as flawless a finish I have seen on a factory car. The gloss and shine is superb and I have no doubt that an automated brush would seriously mar the finish, it is that highly polished.

Thank Tesla that they are giving us "fair warning" about proper care for this highly refined paint finish; left to our own devices, no doubt we would muck it up in the name of convenience i.e. using the automatic car wash.

Exactly, @Tommy. This is lawyer-speak in the warranty. They're telling us that if we take the car through a car-wash, other than touchless, that we can't try to claim resulting damage under the warranty.

Two reactions:
1. I've never seen any warranty extended to flawless paint
2. If a carwash destroys part of my car, I would pursue a claim against the carwash, not against the car manufacturer.

You can come and inspect my Bentley Arnage and admire it's flawless paint. I only use the felt-strip car wash on it. It's a 2009.

bonnie1194 said:
So you're already dealing with the whole 'no brushes' issue. I'm sure it's a beautiful car.

(Can I borrow it?)

I sometimes travel to Ohio...

Can I borrow it too?? If not that, perhaps the GT ??? Pweeeeeze??

For those that do wash your own car(s), a benefit I never thought of with my roadster is that I now have a radio with no limit on the battery. If I am washing the roadster, other cars or putzing around in garage I can listen to music thru the roadster stereo without worries of draining the battery.

Before the roadster, I have drained a couple car batteries and thus needing to jump.

For those that do wash your own car(s), a benefit I never thought of with my roadster is that I now have a radio with no limit on the battery.

A bit off topic but related to this quote, I ride a ferry almost every day to work. It will be nice to play the radio, surf the web, and have the A/C going in the summer and not worry about something like that. Now--in my ICE--I sit there and cook in the heat since engines are not supposed to be running on the ferry. The Model S will make the 15 minute ride much more pleasant.