TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

At Work Garage Charing Etiquette

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Birdman325, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

In the office tower where I work in downtown Toronto, there are 4 EV charging stations. I don't park there every day, but whenever I do, it seems as if who ever is parked in a charging spot when I arrive in the morning, is often there when I leave at the end of the day ( I guess these guys work harder than I do). Clearly, these owners arrive early, plug in, and then simply let the car sit there the entire day. Is there any type of charging etiquette for this type of situation? Or is it just, first come first served? Should they come down at some point during the day and move out to another regular spot?
    I have a similar question with some hotel / destination chargers. Is it simply a matter of if you show up and it is open, you park and plug and then just leave it until the next morning? I appreciate these may be NB questions but just trying to get a sense of charging etiquette.
    TIA (thanx in advance)

• Like x 1
  2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Moving your car after it is finished charging is absolutely the right etiquette. Though most chargers I see in the wild provide 6kW at best, meaning an 8 hour work day would not be long enough to recharge most Teslas if they arrived empty.

• Like x 2
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

#3 MorrisonHiker, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    We have 36 Level 2 (32 amp) chargers where I work. They are all solar powered. They are free to use for employees on a first-come, first-serve basis. I usually only charge my car once a week and normally I only charge about half the day and then move my car. We have a web page we can use to track how many spots are in use and if I see they are full then I will move my car early. If it's a Friday and half the spots are empty in the afternoon, then I'll just leave it all day. I do put a placard in the windshield indicating what time I expect to leave and it has my work extension if anyone needs to contact me and have me move my car early. We also have a distribution list at work so if someone needs a spot they can email everyone and usually someone will reply within a few minutes that they have enough charge and are moving their car.

Since it sounds like your 4 EV spots are probably shared by various companies, I would suggest leaving your contact information somewhere on the car to indicate when you'll be done and how someone can contact you if they need a spot.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  4. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

WOW. That is awesome. Where do you work?!

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

PM sent! :cool:

• Like x 1
  6. JSkrehot

JSkrehot Member

Our hospital has 8 total chargers, 2 designated in the MD parking, 2 in employee parking, and 4 in the general parking, all free, however, they cap you at 4 hours of free charging, then charge you $5 so people will not leave their cars there all day. Half of the chargers are on one network and the other half is on another, so technically you can move from one to the next and get up to 8 hours of free charging daily.

• Like x 3
  7. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Can you approach whomever is managing the parking to put up signs to cap charging at 4 hours or place signs to have people move their cars when they are finished charging?

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you need to have a discussion with the offenders bringing up the point that they need to understand the difference between a parking spot and a charging spot. occupying a CHARGING spot and not allowing others to use it is not in the best interests of anyone except the selfish charger hogs.

9. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Someone needs to come up with a device that will "decharge" your car after it is charged! Owners will move their cars if this is implemented.
    That will teach em!

• Like x 4
  10. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Enter your credit card to get free charging up to a certain point. After that point (either charge threshold or pre-determined number of hours) your card gets charged. I bet that would get people to unplug pretty quickly.
    When supermarkets started asking for $.25 "deposit" for shopping carts, many thought that no one would return their cart just to get their $.25 back - but data shows that more than 95% of shoppers return their carts to a central location (instead of leaving them cluttered in the parking lot) just to get their quarter back. (Although I did not notice that one of the grocery retailers recently increased the shopping cart charge to a looney (a $1).

11. Struja

Struja Member

Part of the problem is the general inadequate amount of chargers downtown. Unlike @MorrisonHiker, I regularly park at First Canadian place. Their parking garage is huge. I believe they have 3 or 4 EV charging stations. I have parked there maybe 20-30 times over the last 3 months and I have never seen a charging spot open in that time.

I typically get there after 9am but I don't really consider that place an option if I ever am really in need. I mean....having 36 level 2 chargers is just incredible.

• Like x 1
  12. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

That is my building! I have never seen a spot open. I also occasionally park across the street at TD, and same scenario - I have never seen an open spot.

• Like x 1
  13. wayner

wayner Active Member

IMHO part of the issue is that the EV charging spots are the A1 parking spots in places like FCP, Brookfield Place and TD Centre. So even if you don't need a charge you are motivated to park there as it is the best spot. Maybe they should put the EV spots in the lowest level of the garages. Brookfield Place seems to be the best place as they have 16 L2 chargers according to Plugshare.

Don't forget there are a lot of people downtown, like traders in the financial industry who can afford Teslas and who will like to drive to work. Many of them are likely arriving before 7:30am, especially if they are in Fixed Income, so if you want the spots then you have to start getting in earlier. Or the landlords need to start enforcing limits.

My former place of work had two slow L2 chargers. They had more demand than EV spots so they went to two hour windows. My drive was 50km round trip so I didn't bother to use the chargers as I didn't need them as I could just charge at home and I often would not be able to get up and move my car once or twice through the day.

• Like x 1
  14. Struja

Struja Member

I think @wayner is exactly right about the location issue. When I park at FCP, I typically park in Section H, which is way off the beaten path. Perfect spot for EV parking but I am not sure the GTA has bought into this concept. I am told almost daily that my car is a novelty and that "this electric thing will never catch on". I think once that sort of thinking goes away, we will see more EV parking and less need to be stepping on each other's toes when we do charge.

15. Struja

Struja Member

My office is in Yorkville, I use to park in Hazelton Lanes (now Yorkville Village) before the renos. They just added a bunch of L2 chargers, HOWEVER, they don't offer monthly parking anymore and I am now in a lot without even a wall outlet!!! LOL

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Friend of mine works in west-end Ottawa at a company that has 8 chargers, and 16 parking spots. The official etiquette is that if you arrive first, you get the charger until noon. Then the guy that got the second parking spot for that charger can take the plug.

He had a little oops recently when he discovered that the i3 locks the J paddle to the car when you lock the door.

17. kort677

kort677 Active Member

has any thought been given to since installing more [email protected] units since the chargers already there are being heavily used and usage needs to be rationed ?
    I strongly advocate to places like airports and hotels that if more L2 units are unfeasible that access to 110 outlets be increased, this could be done at a very low cost and for some it would offer enough of a charge over the course of an eight to ten hour workday.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It makes great sense to have 110V at an airport.

At work you might only get 20 km in a full workday, or possibly none at all in extreme cold weather. Which is when you really need the power.

19. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

A bit off topic, but this afternoon I saw a couple in a Leaf pull up to one of two Volta charging spots at a shopping center (both spots had Teslas hooked up) and break the charging door on one of the Teslas plugged in. I guess the Leaf was at zero charge and the owner was desperate, but property damage is not warranted even if you need to charge. In case the owner of the damaged blue Model S parked at Blackhawk Plaza around 2 PM reads these forums, I took a picture of the Leaf (with license plate) and the owner. PM me and I'll send you the pic.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. wayner

wayner Active Member

Unbelievable. Where is Blackhawk Plaza?