Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Work Garage Charing Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be in the minority on this but I personally think that providing free charging at the workplace is a bad idea as it provides an incentive to charge at work during the day rather than charging at home at night. This adds to peak demand on the grid which causes increased usage of peaking power generation which is likely to be a pollutant. If you need to charge, especially if you can't charge at home, then by all means go ahead but charge for it so that you are having EV owners make more rational decisions about where and when to charge.

Agreed. In fact when my workplace was installing Clipper creek, I made a request to them to atleast make a token charge of 10c a kWh so that the $100K Tesla owners don't end up hogging the chargers to save $5 a day. None of them have 200 mile commute. All of them have garages. Every one of them is looking to save pennies at the expense of a few Leafs that may need the charge.

Before my S, I was driving a Leaf and I know how much the charging at office meant to me to get back home comfortably especially on cold days.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Agreed. In fact when my workplace was installing Clipper creek, I made a request to them to atleast make a token charge of 10c a kWh so that the $100K Tesla owners don't end up hogging the chargers to save $5 a day. None of them have 200 mile commute. All of them have garages. Every one of them is looking to save pennies at the expense of a few Leafs that may need the charge.

Before my S, I was driving a Leaf and I know how much the charging at office meant to me to get back home comfortably especially on cold days.
I'll repeat an earlier comment;
it is great that there were chargers installed where you work but as EV usage is getting more popular, as evidenced by the competition for the chargers where you work, maybe a move should be made by the EV users to try to get whomever is responsible for installing the chargers to add even more charging units to alleviate this overcrowding of the very in demand units currently in place.

Reactions: Struja
I'll repeat an earlier comment;
it is great that there were chargers installed where you work but as EV usage is getting more popular, as evidenced by the competition for the chargers where you work, maybe a move should be made by the EV users to try to get whomever is responsible for installing the chargers to add even more charging units to alleviate this overcrowding of the very in demand units currently in place.
That's true and this is easier to do if there is at least some offset in cost. I will repeat my earlier assertion that much of the motivation for landlords to install EV chargers was to get LEED points as a higher LEED certification allows landlords to charge higher rent. But they are generally incented to only install a few chargers:

This is from the LEED/USGBC website:

Option 1. Electric vehicle charging
Install electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) in 2% of all parking spaces used by the project. Clearly identify and reserve these spaces for the sole use by plug-in electric vehicles. Parking spaces that include EVSE must be provided separate from and in addition to preferred parking spaces for green vehicles.

The EVSE must:
  • Provide a Level 2 charging capacity (208 – 240 volts) or greater.
  • Comply with the relevant regional or local standard for electrical connectors, such as SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1772, SAE Electric Vehicle Conductive Charge Coupler or IEC 62196 of the International Electrotechnical Commission for projects outside the U.S.
  • Be networked or internet addressable and be capable of participating in a demand-response program or time-of-use pricing to encourage off-peak charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Struja
Interesting debate here. I was going to start a new thread similar to this one as I got my first nasty-gram the other day. Difference is I work for an airline and use airport employee parking where the airport authority graciously installed eight level 1 EV charging spots with NEMA 5-20 plugs (110V 20A). There are on average about 3 or 4 spots in use most of the time (mostly Volt's). I've never seen it full except one time this summer when I came back to my car and all eight spots were in use and someone had left a nasty note on my car to the effect that It's not a campground and to leave room for others! No phone number or name. This lot is shared between all airport employees so there are those that do a regular eight hour shift and others like me that travel and may be gone for three days. Not sure what the ethics are on parking multiple days on 110V plugs that I've been lobbying for three years to have installed but personally, I never take the last spot and can only hope the Volt owners don't either. However if it fills up while I'm away, there's not much I can do about it. Any thoughts on long term charging at the one place 110V charging makes any sense?

I dunno, at 110V it seems like a reasonable thing to do. The Volt people are just interested in freebies; they are in no risk of running out of juice.

I wish airports would install lots of 110V charging. That way you could go off on a long trip in the dead of winter and return to a fully-charged car. You don't need Level III at an airport, no one is there for half an hour.

Interesting debate here. I was going to start a new thread similar to this one as I got my first nasty-gram the other day. Difference is I work for an airline and use airport employee parking where the airport authority graciously installed eight level 1 EV charging spots with NEMA 5-20 plugs (110V 20A). There are on average about 3 or 4 spots in use most of the time (mostly Volt's). I've never seen it full except one time this summer when I came back to my car and all eight spots were in use and someone had left a nasty note on my car to the effect that It's not a campground and to leave room for others! No phone number or name. This lot is shared between all airport employees so there are those that do a regular eight hour shift and others like me that travel and may be gone for three days. Not sure what the ethics are on parking multiple days on 110V plugs that I've been lobbying for three years to have installed but personally, I never take the last spot and can only hope the Volt owners don't either. However if it fills up while I'm away, there's not much I can do about it. Any thoughts on long term charging at the one place 110V charging makes any sense?
one would think that at an airport that has installed 110 units, that accomodating parking at one of those spots for days was the intent, however in your case an employee parking lot isn't the same animal, the travelling public isn't permitted to park there, it sounds to me that you are using your employee status to avoid paying the parking fees and misusing the employee lot, maybe you should park in the public lot when travelling

if someone bought a Leaf and the are desperate to use the work charger or they can't make it home, didn't they buy the wrong car to suit their needs?

I bought a Smart ED and we also own a Tesla. The reason for the Smart ED is that it comfortably covers the range of my commute and daily needs, but is the absolute minimum amount of materials and energy from production, consumption and recycle of any vehicle I could choose to commute in year round in Ontario.
I absolutely would not buy a large vehicle for my short 50 km daily commute, and am going to trade in my current Smart ED so someone else can get a super cheap used commuter EV, while I get the newest Smart ED because I can afford it. I am deliberate in my choices.

A Leaf uses far less energy from original production, consumption and eventual recycle than a larger vehicle (Tesla included). If the owner bought a used Leaf with reduced range, and the work place provided charging that made that vehicle practically usable, then this is the best outcome for planet earth vs that owner buying a much larger EV with far more lifetime energy use.

Of course, we own a Tesla because our needs are for 30000 km of yearly driving, so there was only one option, and we're thrilled with the car. I would personally never plug it into a work place charger with all of my considerations and rationale above.

So you see, thoughts vary.

Reactions: dasRad
that's what works for you, however it doesn't work for everyone, if someone has a long commute they might need that charge as much as anyone else

You are kidding right? How many of the Teslas that plug in have a commute of 200+ miles?

Every Leaf/Volt and I3 that I see in my lot, the primary driver for their purchase is the ability to charge at office that removes range anxiety for them. I drove a Leaf for many years because they first let me plug into 110V and then on a ChargePoint when it was installed. Folks bought a Tesla because they wanted to drive a long range EV, and not because there were chargers at work place.

Lets get this clear: Those chargers are there so that you can commute back and forth without any range anxiety, and on those days that you might forget to plug in at home overnight. It is there to enable EVs as a mode of transportation. Every time a model S plugs in, they do so to save $5. Simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a building about 30km from my home (for the day). It had pay parking ($20 for the day). It has two EV spots both with level 2 chargers....So, did I violate etiquette? Keep in mind, this was my first week of ownership and I had serious range anxiety

I actually made a point of using public and restricted charging infrastructure.
The phrase "use it or lose it" comes to mind.

We're so early in the adoption/rollout phase that I deliberately drive a bit out of my way and pay for parking on occasion to ensure I visit charging stations that look "unloved".

This is in strict contrast with my statements on work place charging, where I wouldn't plug in if I felt I didn't need the charge, and those stations were needed (or potentially would be needed) by others.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
You are kidding right? How many of the Teslas that plug in have a commute of 200+ miles?

Lets get this clear: Those chargers are there so that you can commute back and forth without any range anxiety, and on those days that you might forget to plug in at home overnight. It is there to enable EVs as a mode of transportation. Every time a model S plugs in, they do so to save $5. Simple as that.
I really don't wish to engage in a pissing contest, but one size rarely fits all

one would think that at an airport that has installed 110 units, that accomodating parking at one of those spots for days was the intent, however in your case an employee parking lot isn't the same animal, the travelling public isn't permitted to park there, it sounds to me that you are using your employee status to avoid paying the parking fees and misusing the employee lot, maybe you should park in the public lot when travelling
I only travel for work as a pilot. I don't fly on my days off. Ever. Last thing I want to do is travel, unless it's in my car so no abuse here.

Very true that one size doesn't fit all. Don't forget that this thread started about a parking garage in the heart of downtown Toronto's financial district where the parking rate is $30/day.

Simple question: At what range would you consider that charging daily at workplace is unnecessary ? An EV with 200 miles? 300? 500?

Imagine your EV has 500 mile range, would you still plug in if you had the ability to charge at home?

Simple question: At what range would you consider that charging daily at workplace is unnecessary ? An EV with 200 miles? 300? 500?

Imagine your EV has 500 mile range, would you still plug in if you had the ability to charge at home?

I have seen several folks in the Model 3 forums who don't plan to install chargers at home because chargers are provided at work. If work provides them as a benefit, I don't see an issue with that. Like when workplaces subsidize metro cards, or rideshare vans or whatnot. Its a benefit they are providing their employees. No one would begrudge folks using rideshare vans on the company dime daily, and they are getting a similar benefit (reduced cost commuting).

My S 90D has a range of 296 miles and I feel fine charging for free at work once a week. I do keep a close eye on the web page which shows the charging status for all the chargers and I'll make the 10 minute walk to move to a different spot if someone needs a charge to get home.

There are probably 70 or more employees who use the 36 chargers. I'm guessing at least two dozen of them are Volts, two dozen are Leafs and the other two dozen or so are various makes and models of EVs and plug-in hybrids. The chargers are offered for use to anyone who needs them.

@mkjayakumar , Do they ever have free coffee, donuts or lunches at your office? If so, do you partake in the free food even though you have food at home?

@mkjayakumar , Do they ever have free coffee, donuts or lunches at your office? If so, do you partake in the free food even though you have food at home?

Am I impacting the ability of my colleagues to drink coffee? Moreover I have a need to have coffee multiple times a day even if I drank at my home in the morning. I am not avoiding coffee at home and drink at work just to save money. I drink at office, because I need coffee now !!.

Am I impacting the ability of my colleagues (who may be in a much weaker financial position than me) to take advantage of free metro cards?

Until you reach a stage where there is always atleast one charger available for a needy Leaf or i3, it does not make sense for a Tesla to plug in.

Am I impacting the ability of my colleagues to drink coffee? Moreover I have a need to have coffee multiple times a day even if I drank at my home in the morning. I am not avoiding coffee at home and drink at work just to save money. I drink at office, because I need coffee now !!.

Am I impacting the ability of my colleagues (who may be in a much weaker financial position than me) to take advantage of free metro cards?

Until you reach a stage where there is always atleast one charger available for a needy Leaf or i3, it does not make sense for a Tesla to plug in.
If you drink the last cup of coffee, then yes, you prevented someone else from drinking it.

As I said before, I limit my charging at work to once a week and keep a close eye on the status so I know if there are 35 free stalls or 0 free stalls. Often in the afternoon, there are dozens of cars which have completed charging...and since the majority of cars are Volts and Leafs, it is the Volt and Leaf owners who are preventing the other Leaf owners from charging, not the one Tesla that might be charging. I just checked the current status. Of the 36 chargers, 10 cars are charging at Level 2 rates. 4 are charging at Level 1 rates (because they didn't log in and indicate how many miles/amps they needed). 20 cars have completed charging and are blocking others from charging in those spots. There are 2 empty spots. I could walk the 10 minutes down to tally up the 20 cars that have finished charging and I can bet they are almost all Volts and Leafs...and no Teslas.

We do have a mailing list at work where people who need a charge can send an email if they need a charge. Usually within a minute, someone else will reply that they are done charging and will move their car. Everyone who needs or wants a charge is able to get a charge.

Last edited:
I hear you. I don't believe I've ever charged anywhere (but home or at a Supercharger), unless I really needed it. I think maybe the part that doesn't feel right is that it almost feels like because I have a Tesla I shouldn't ever need a charge.

No guilt here. I consider charging at the office to be one of the perks of working for that employer, at least in my opinion. They set up the charging model in advance of my hire, and offered it as a free perk incentive to retain employees. I appreciate the incentive and work harder to compensate for any perception of 'taking advantage' of my employer.