Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Work Garage Charing Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the 36 chargers, 10 cars are charging at Level 2 rates. 4 are charging at Level 1 rates (because they didn't log in and indicate how many miles/amps they needed). 20 cars have completed charging and are blocking others from charging in those spots. There are 2 empty spots. I could walk the 10 minutes down to tally up the 20 cars that have finished charging and I can bet they are almost all Volts and Leafs...and no Teslas.
I couldn't get all 36 chargers in two pictures but these give an idea of the mix of cars. Only a few were actively charging when this picture was taken.

From what I can see on this side, it's Volt, Leaf, Volt, Volt, Volt, i3, Volt, Leaf, Leaf, CMAX, Leaf, Leaf, Volt, Leaf.
20170830_154101.jpg

i3, Volt, Leaf, Volt, Spark, Leaf, Spark (?), Volt, Volt
20170830_154125.jpg

I am in awe @MorrisonHiker. First, because of the infrastructure and second because of how many people are driving EVs. Amazing is so many respects.
And that's only two thirds of the spots! Maybe I'll do a panoramic shot or two one of these days.

In addition to the $7500 federal tax credit, Colorado does have some really good state tax credits for electric vehicles. Up until this year, it was up to $6000 per car and could even be claimed on used cars. The max went down to $5000 and is only available on new cars now. For a while, some used car dealerships were importing cars from out of state and you could get a fairly new Leaf for $6000 to $8000.

I own a small company, with 28 employees. I am the only person with an EV. I installed a 48 amp/208 volt Eaton J1772 at the office. I picked the J1772 as all can use it.
1. I don't need to charge every day. However, occasionally, I'll run out to a jobsite/supplier etc that may be 300-400 KM round trip - and no SC. On those days I will plug in (sometimes before and after).
2. I immediately put it on Plugshare. I've had almost every flavour of EV charge up for a few hours. Pay it forward....
3. I hope that some of my staff follow my lead. We'll share the EVSE. Being small has advantages here.

We did the same. I only occasionally use the charger but it's nice to have available. One of our employees got himself a Smart ED. He only uses the charger when he absolutely has to. He is very conscientious and doesn't want to freeload off us.

I'm happy to have occasional use by the general public, especially people who are on road trips since charging options are liking in Ottawa. We've had a lot of different EVs drop by, probably half are Teslas.

We also had one guy start charging daily late in the evening. It seemed he wanted to do 100% of his daily charging here. I stayed late and talked to him and it turned out he lived nearby. I invited him not to return. I'm not paying for all of some cheapskate's driving.

Lets get this clear: Those chargers are there so that you can commute back and forth without any range anxiety, and on those days that you might forget to plug in at home overnight. It is there to enable EVs as a mode of transportation.

You are asserting as fact something you do not know.

I know of some employers that have installed chargers as a differentiating perk in a competitive job market. Their goal is to attract/retain employees who will use them.

While I agree with the general premise of being conscientious of how you use a shared resource, narrowly asserting there can only be one possible scenario comes across as being dogmatic.