Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Athens, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought when searching building permits didn't work for Athens that I'd take a drive this morning and go look. Found!

Fairfield-Marriot, Athens, AL,
Latitude: 34° 47’ 7.398” N
Longitude: 86° 56’ 33.792” W
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens I-65

It couldn't hardly be in a better location. Several good restaurants close. Worst thing is no traffic light at US-72 but big breaks in traffic seem to naturally occur.

Looks to be ready for service waiting on final inspection. Umbilicals are attached to pedestals under the bags.

Tesla_Athens_1.jpg

Tesla_Athens_2.jpg

Tesla_Athens_3.jpg

N4HHE, Very cool. Is that your Red one? Looked just like my '13. Glad for you to have a SC that close to Madison.
I am a Lee High and UAH person.

Yes, my 2013 Model S 85. Almost took the motorcycle for my search but didn't think that quite appropriate!

Its nice this SC is near but its not really of any use to me. I wish Birmingham would fix their SC situation in a maze of road construction and detours, and the SNAFU of a guarded lot for which one must now pay or eat at a designated restaurant.

In Birmingham you can buy a cup of coffee and get your ticket validated. Not a big deal IMO. On the other hand, having a charger in Athens is great. We go to Muscle Shoals often have gone on the Franklin then back to Muscle Shoals and plugged into the 110's at the conference center across from the Marriott. Athens makes the out of the way trip unnecessary.

Athens, AL

Interstates: I-65
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-31, US-72

I-65:
To: Nashville, TN - 85.6 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Bowling Green, KY - 163 miles

To: Nashville, TN (I-65) - 85.6 miles
To: Chattanooga, TN (I-65,I-565,US-72,I-24,I-75,TN-153) - 144 miles
To: Tupelo, MS (I-65,US-72ALT,AL-24,MS-76,MS-23,I-22,US-45) - 136 miles
To: Memphis, TN (I-65,US-72ALT,US-72,I-269,TN-385,local) - 192 miles
To: Jackson, TN (I-65,I-840,I-40) - 203 miles
To: Birmingham*, AL** (I-65,I-20) - 92.6 miles

This will complete I-65 by splitting the 177 mile gap between Birmingham*, AL** and Nashville, TN.

* Bam-ba-lam ***
** Bam-ba-lam ***
*** Sorry, I thought of it and needed to get it unstuck from my head before I go to bed. :p

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I don't understand "diversion". From center of I-65 to the new Athens AL SC is 0.4 miles. So 0.8 miles total.

The Birmingham SC is practically under the interstate but is miles away.

Using Supercharge.info:

Birmingham, AL to Athens, AL + Athens, AL to Nashville, TN = Birmingham, AL to Nashville, TN + Diversion
92.6 + 85.6 = 177 + 1.2
Distances of 100 miles or more are rounded, so that's not necessarily correct.
If I just put two points on I-65 south and north of the Athens, AL I get a diversion of 1.1 miles.

Google Maps 1.3 miles
Google Maps 0.5 miles
Delta going south is 0.8 miles.

Going north its 1.6 miles: Google Maps
so subtract the 0.5 miles its 1.1 as you stated.

Note that when I give those distances along the Interstates I always do the odd numbers south to north and even numbers west to east.
Hence Birmingham, AL to Nashville, TN and not the other way round.

I'm just following the convention. It's not because I think that all roads lead to Maine. :p

• Informative
Reactions: Drucifer
We go to Muscle Shoals often have gone on the Franklin then back to Muscle Shoals and plugged into the 110's at the conference center across from the Marriott.
Thats not on plugshare, IIRC. Can you post the Marriott Conference center there, and any details (who you had to ask, etc)?

Excited to see this location, a great find!! Now can make it to the NASA museum in my BEV.

Thanks for posting the updates!

This is really great news for me and it basically guarantees that I will be getting an S later this year. I live in Nashville and my wife's family lives in the Athens/Huntsville area. Getting down there never was a problem....it was the getting back to Nashville part that was a problem assuming we drove some while in town. This also connects all the dots for us in Nashville looking to travel in any direction. Thanks to the recent additions of Kuttawa, KY, Jackson, TN and now Athens, AL, we can drive in any direction now with a supercharger option.