Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Athens, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged today... 1B appeared not to work at all. Moved to 1A and it worked fine; full power... Charged two weeks ago (June 4th) at either 3A/B,or 4A ; would not draw more than about 50 KW, starting with the battery about 1/3 charged, and remained at 50 KW until 2/3 charged. Cable and nozzle seemed to have gotten rather 'hot' . Anyone else having problems charging there?

Jim, did you report your charging problems to Tesla? I think the correct number is the same number we call for roadside assistance, which is 877-798-3752. For what it's worth I have also had the experience of a non-operational stall at Athens when the others were working although I do not think it was 1B. As far as the perceived low charge rate there could be possible mechanical explanations one of which is battery temperature and SOC. Even at 50 kW you can reach a 90% SOC in a reasonable amount of time. I have sat and observed a Supercharge session and notice an initial low SOC, e.g., 8% will produce a charge rate in excess of 100 kW and as the SOC rises the rate declines. The rate of charge seems to hang on 50 kW for a relatively long time.

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
Ticobird: Saw your recent post @ downtown Nashville SC discussion, noted North Alabama location and figured you probably had usage of the Athens site, We had been charging there on the return leg of our frequent Huntsville trips; but have now switched to the Manchester TN site since its opening in July. In charging at a fair number of different SCs on our many trips since March '17, we've have noticed definite variations in charging rates and times at the many SCs used. Two used recently definitely stand-out for charging efficacy; one being Manchester (4 to 6 times); the other being Hickory. NC (twice). The most disappointing recently being Cookeville, TN for the first, and probably last time, charging there.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
Is my observation that charging rate is not always an issue for the Supercharger but for something in the car itself. Sometimes it just does not want to suck on the charger as hard as with other times. I've seen mine start at 90 kW, drop to 30 kW then rise back to 60 kW during one session.

Was here just recently. Found one of the pedestals had a broken or malfunctioning holster, such that the charge handle would not seat. It was lying on the stand when I arrived. Similar to what @JSergeant posted back in April. I phoned it in to Tesla although was on hold for about 30 minutes. Also noted the signs on the charging stalls read something on the order of: "General Parking 8 pm through 8 am." Meant to take a photo of the sign but forgot to do so. This means that if someone in need of a charge arrives after 8 pm and all stalls are taken by hotel guests, tough luck!

This kind of signage/restriction information might be useful on either Tesla.com or supercharge.info.

I called that holster (Pedestal 4B) problem in to Tesla Service on November 25th. By the way Pedestal 4B is fully functional except for the holster. This is the second pedestal at this location during the past year that has had this same problem. I also identified the first problem holster and called it in. I wonder if these are the actions of a vandal. To be fair the holster securing "nub" is made of plastic. I have not read of this happening anywhere else.

Also noted the signs on the charging stalls read something on the order of: "General Parking 8 pm through 8 am." Meant to take a photo of the sign but forgot to do so. This means that if someone in need of a charge arrives after 8 pm and all stalls are taken by hotel guests, tough luck!

I believe 4 of 8 stalls are so labeled. But it also means one may leave the Tesla there overnight. if connected one will probably get charged for occupancy if all the others become in use during the night.

Traveling from AX to Huntsville, AZ early next year. See that there is a SC in Athens. Found a few EV chargers on Plug Share sprinkled around Huntsville, but surprised more hotels there don't designate as destination charger locations.