TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Atherton, California city manager wants Model S as Police Cruisers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hileyms, Nov 7, 2013.

1. hileyms

hileyms Member

Report on Worldcarfans web site today.

Atherton, California city manager has expressed his desire to acquire several brand new Tesla Model S cars icon1.png to use them as police cruisers.
    In an interview given to San Jose Mercury News, George Rodericks who is the city manager of Atherton, California said "I'd love to see the [Tesla] Model S be used for Atherton's police cars." This shouldn't come as a surprise since 15.4 percent of all new cars icon1.png sold in Atherton are Tesla Model S, according to data obtained by Edmunds.
    As Motor Authority points out, the all-electric Tesla Model icon1.png S has a few aces up its sleeve which would make it suitable for a police cruiser, such as more room for police-related hardware inside the cabin as a result of the absence of a tunnel running down the middle of the car. In addition, the Model S is a seriously quick car taking into account the Performance model will sprint to 60 mph (96 km/h) in about 4.5 seconds and it's also the safest car to ever be tested by NHTSA.

1622446097290853331.jpg

2. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

3. hileyms

hileyms Member

Does the last line of the article in Swedish ask if the Swedish police might use the Model S as an alternative to the XC70's?

4. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

No, not really. It’s just the journo addressing the reader(s). Translation:

What do you think dear readers – should the Swedish National Police Board take a closer look at the Tesla Model S as an alternative to the Swedish Police [current] hot favorite – the Volvo XC70?

5. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Install a SuperCharger or 20kW HPWC at the local Donut shop (no offence ;) ) and they'll be good to go!

One of the things which could be a problem is the range on high speeds when doing a chase, but that could be solved if you make sure if you consistently charge them and never let them run low.

Some friends of mine are firefighters and they have to fill up their diesel tanks when they go below 75% filling.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is Atherton. The cops don't really have much to do compared to other places.

7. Darren

Darren Member

Seriously. The best is the police blotter section of the local newspaper.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They needs Model S police cars if they have a chance of keeping up with all the Model S in town. Can't have the cop cars being the slowest cars in town!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_18770819

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Wow. That blotter is hilarious.

:biggrin:

10. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

Talk about being on edge!

Michael

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

This might backfire once the bad guys realize all they have to do is drop a tow hitch on the road to get away....

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I am embarrassed that I laughed at that.

13. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Well if it's a TESLA chasing a TESLA and it sounds like the chances are good in Atherton,
    it could look something like this (evens the odds )
    Police Chase

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#14 TEG, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Highway Patrol could always take over the high speed pursuits

16. strider

strider Active Member

Yeah, this is the densely populated Bay Area. There are choppers in the air and lots of other support long before a Model S will run out of range.

17. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I would not want him to be the steward of my tax dollars.

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I haven't done the math but maybe a model s will save money in the long run.

19. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Some big assumptions in that analysis. Assuming 200 miles per day (100 per shift) over a 365 day year, that's 73,000 per year. Retire the vehicle at 200k, that's 3 years worth of serviceable life. Assuming both cars are essentially worthless with 200k on the odometer, that's a 70k operating cost savings the Tesla has to realize over the ICE, or $25k or so per year. Claim is a $21k per annum fuel savings with the balance of 4k in maintenance savings to break even. NB: I know the OP on that thread assumed a different depreciation rate and maintaining the vehicle for twice the life of the ICE; that's an enormous, unsupported assumption. Safer to assume a minimal residual value in each vehicle.

So, we're breaking even. Why would any police department take a risk on a vehicle that's far more expensive to repair (body work on aluminum panels, complete rather than incremental drive train failure, etc) if it's essentially the same lifetime cost as a known quantity?