TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Athletic seat cover

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gglockner, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gglockner

gglockner Member

I am a marathoner. Some products like SeatShield are designed to put on car seats to protect them from sweat after a workout. If you have tried one of these with a Model S, I'm curious to hear how well it works.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

can I have your VIN number so as to be sure not to bid on it when that time comes?

:biggrin:

3. bob_p

bob_p Member

While not a stylistic solution, after exercising, I use a large bath towel to temporarily cover the front seat. I tied off one end of the towel to make a loop that slides over the headrest, and then drape the towel over the back and the bottom of the seat so the towel is between me and the seat.

I had looked at buying other seat covers - but this turned out to be a simple and considerably less expensive solution - that takes only a few seconds to install and remove - and works fine for the small percentage of time that I want to protect the seats.

And if/when the towels need cleaning - they're very easy to clean...

4. gglockner

gglockner Member

#4 gglockner, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Thanks, I know that a towel is a common DIY solution, but if I understand correctly, the commercial products have a waterproof back that completely prevents sweat from getting to the upholstery. This makes them seem a bit better.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I do lots of stuff that require this sort of thing. I normally take off my shirt, and sit on a towel.

And about 12 years ago my dad showed me these towels with a slit cut into them. And the hole was crudely sewn to prevent unraveling. They slip over a headrest and keep the towel in place. They look atrocious, but are very very useful.

7. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

I put on wet okole seat covers on for the same reasons-triathlons, tough mudder etc..love the seat covers. They match my tan interior well and have extra pockets to stash stuff.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

^^^This. Wet Okole is one of those products that has few or no owner complaints.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do they only sell in pairs? Really only need driver's seat. Do they just loosely fit over seat or are they more time consuming to put on and take off. Thanks.

10. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I have the exact same questions.

I am a pretty active person (running, tennis, gym, soccer, tough mudder, etc.) and I just want something temporary and removable. I have just been using a trashbag and a towel but they are clumsy to use and keep in place. These look like a good solution but they also seem to be a more "permanent" solution.

I didn't pay extra for the leather to just cover it up :)

- - - Updated - - -

After a quick search I found this guy

http://www.seatshield.com/

I may give it a shot as it seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

11. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I assume you are a guy. If not, please let us know at what athletic club you work out and the approximate time you drive home.....:biggrin::biggrin:

12. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

I think you can just buy one-best to ring them and ask that question. They were time consuming to put on but are made to leave on. They are waterproof and made to wash on the seat. I ordered the side slit for the airbag.

13. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

14. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Just make sure these covers don't impair side airbag deployment.

15. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

Thanks. I was concerned about that in my search and ruled out several full covers for that reason. I believe these are open on the sides. They can be "installed" in 5 seconds and are really meant for use after physical activity or when my clothes are dirty. Hopefully better than using a towel.

16. bradhs

bradhs Member

I use an oversized beach towel. It doubles as an oversized beach towel.

17. Chris

Chris Member

@bradhs LOL. I do the same...