Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just so I don't have to re-write everything, I'm going to copy and paste what I posted to the Atlanta Facebook group. Below pertains to Atlanta, Charlotte and Greenville Supercharger locations.

Atlanta - Location - For those that are not sure where the Superchargers are located within Atlantic Station I filmed this short video to show you the location. The parking garage can be fairly confusing when talking about the different levels, letters, numbers and colors so I thought this might be the best way to show the future location. Sorry for the dirty windshield but I attempted to quickly clean it at the gas station on the way over. Also I included a map for a second reference. The location is on P2 (lower level), D (red columns), aisle 209. Also parking is free for the first 2 hours within the garage. - http://youtu.be/2N6QQg1LbLQ

Atlanta - Status - The location is currently under construction and should have a quick turn around. The good news about this location is that the transformer is already in place. Getting the transformer on location can cause major delays so its great that this component is already in place. Due to the fact that they were supposed to start construction back in August, this gave Georgia Power (I'm assuming that's the utility company) plenty of time to get their equipment in place. The reason for the major delay in construction is due to the Atlantic Station's history. Atlantic Station used to be home to a hundred-year-old steel mill, which ceased operation in 1998. There were worries of iron ground contamination which caused extra work for the engineers. The site should be live by mid December and will contain 10 stalls.

Charlotte - Status - This crew, which built the Burlington, NC location (along with a site in RI, MA and CO) will be heading to Charlotte after they've finished Atlantic Station. The Charlotte location is still within the permitting phase and they expect to start that location at the beginning of 2015.

Greenville - Status - Tesla has in fact located and secured another site in Greenville. They are still in the process of permitting and setting up the bids for the contract. They're hoping to start construction on this location in February 2015.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Charlotte and Greenville info posted to those threads.

Very good information about parking deck access and costs can be found in the existing Plugshare entries for the 6 Chargepoint Level 2 stations and the 2 NRG Chedamo DCFC stations.

I won't bother adding this new SC site to Plugshare until they are done. Tesla makes Plugshare delete them, until they are officially launched, making any work on Plugshare entries a waste of time :)

Honestly I don't think it should be too bad, on a normal day (non-event weekend). I've been stopping by fairly frequently over the past few months looking for progress and there isn't a ton of activity on P2. I'll swing by today and see if I can snap a few photos.
well that's comforting.. I don't go down to AS very much.. maybe once per year or so... mostly just Ikea or an event like cirque du soleil

Thanks airj1012 for all the investigating you have done not just on this Supercharger but on the entire network. I love monitoring the Supercharger network expansion. It's really the one feature that Tesla has over all other EV manufactures.

Quite welcome. I swung by today but didn't see any glaring changes but the crew is back at work. I'll stop by every few days to check on the progress. Only about a mile or so from my house.

Just stopped by the location again and they're moving quickly. The crew has started to put the pedestals in place and expect to perform testing on all the units next Thursday (12/11). That gives them of a targeted online date of Sunday 12/14. However I think that will be the official online date, which is recognized by Tesla. I imagine you'll be able to get a charge on Friday/Saturday (12/12-12/13) as long as the test go smoothly.

Also this crew will be heading to Charlotte after the holiday season and will start on this location on 1/6.

2014-12-04 17.34.31.jpg

2014-12-04 17.34.41.jpg

2014-12-04 17.34.49.jpg

2014-12-04 17.35.03.jpg

2014-12-04 17.35.31.jpg

2014-12-04 17.35.47.jpg

Just stopped by the location again and they're moving quickly. The crew has started to put the pedestals in place and expect to perform testing on all the units next Thursday (12/11). That gives them of a targeted online date of Sunday 12/14. However I think that will be the official online date, which is recognized by Tesla. I imagine you'll be able to get a charge on Friday/Saturday (12/12-12/13) as long as the test go smoothly.

Also this crew will be heading to Charlotte after the holiday season and will start on this location on 1/6.

Thanks for the update, and great pics! This may be a record for the size of an indoor Supercharger Site. Are there 10 Charging Stalls?

Wonder when Greenville, SC will start again...

Thanks for the update, and great pics! This may be a record for the size of an indoor Supercharger Site. Are there 10 Charging Stalls?

Wonder when Greenville, SC will start again...

Yes, there are 10 stalls. Definitely more room for expansion against the wall where all the equipment is still in boxes. I imagine they'll expand at this location due to the amount of cars in the area. There was originally one store in the area, but just before Thanksgiving they opened two more in Atlanta. It's really quite a large market and being the second largest EV market in the country must help.

From what I understand they're still at the beginning phases of Greenville. Most likely still locking up the second location. From what I've heard, the bidding for the construction hasn't taken place yet.

The cooling fan's cowling is left on even if the SC cabinet will never get sunlight on it. Does it serve a purpose other than shade?

It directs air out and away from the unit, counteracting somewhat the natural tendency of hot air to rise, causing the heat to be diffused over a wider area. This could reduce localized heat buildup under the roof/ceiling if it is low enough and shaped properly to trap hot air.

If you look closely there are sprinklers installed in that parking structure. Hot air rising directly to a sprinkler head could trigger a unneeded water release.

Imagine on a hot day in the summer of Atlanta with the garage already at 100F in the shade and you start a supercharging session and it blows hot air towards a sprinkler for 20+ minutes.

Is the air coming from that cabinet over 200F worst case?

Fire sprinkler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows temps needed to trigger, I'm assuming that what you have there is white banded green alcohol

Last edited: