Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or is there something different (wrong?) about the two installations of Superchargers in Digby and Yarmouth, NS?

I don't have photos to post, but if you go on Plugshare for those two new sites, you will see some pics people have added of the chargers under construction. Notice the orientation of the cable posts. They are perpendicular to the curb, not parallel to the curb like any other site I've seen.

I checked several other new or "coming soon" sites in NA comparing photos posted and have not seen any with this type of orientation. Is this new? How is that suppose to work? Seems to me the cable would get twisted too much in order to reach the car, unlike any other site.

Are the pix from Digby possibly v. 4?

Last edited:
Are the pix from Digby possibly v. 4?
I don't know but they don't appear to look like V4s I've seen. Even still, I don't see how that orientation works.

They appear to be mounted in the middle of the parking slot, which means in the middle of the car when you back in. Assuming Tesla, the cable would have to be bent very awkwardly to get it to plug in to the car's left rear corner. Every other Supercharger site I've been to the cable comes very naturally out of the holder and into the car with very little bend to the cable because it is positioned correctly.

These sites seem to suggest there will be some very twisted cables. Seems to negate one of the many advantages of the SC network.

I took a look. Just a guess on my part, but this orientation should allow greater access for EVs with chargeports located in front. Still not an optimum solution.
I have no information as to whether these sites will be open to all EVs, not just Teslas, but it seems to me that making a change that accommodates some other brands charge port location to the detriment of Teslas is far from optimum. It's folly.

Having said that, I don't really see how it helps front charge ports either. The cable would have to be twisted 180 degrees to line up with the port.

I don't know but they don't appear to look like V4s I've seen. Even still, I don't see how that orientation works.

They appear to be mounted in the middle of the parking slot, which means in the middle of the car when you back in. Assuming Tesla, the cable would have to be bent very awkwardly to get it to plug in to the car's left rear corner. Every other Supercharger site I've been to the cable comes very naturally out of the holder and into the car with very little bend to the cable because it is positioned correctly.

These sites seem to suggest there will be some very twisted cables. Seems to negate one of the many advantages of the SC network.
Are they middle of the parking spot? The Digby photo in Supercharger - Digby, NS is too muddy to tell and the perspective isn't clear to me with the light post base. They _could_ be on the rear left. Not sure whether the hole in the ground is attachment side or plug side

Are they middle of the parking spot? The Digby photo in Supercharger - Digby, NS is too muddy to tell and the perspective isn't clear to me with the light post base. They _could_ be on the rear left. Not sure whether the hole in the ground is attachment side or plug side
I believe you are correct. I took another look (picture posted Oct 29; lot paved; lines painted) and they appear to be to the left side of the parking slot, like most every other SC site. It's the perpendicular mounting that I found odd. That would mean the cable would need to be bent 90 degrees to plug to the car. Not something you need to do at any other site I've seen.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 SC_Digby.jpg

I have no information as to whether these sites will be open to all EVs, not just Teslas, but it seems to me that making a change that accommodates some other brands charge port location to the detriment of Teslas is far from optimum. It's folly.

Having said that, I don't really see how it helps front charge ports either. The cable would have to be twisted 180 degrees to line up with the port.
You're right. If making this location accessable to non-Teslas is the reason for the orientation change, it's a kludge. Having said that, note that these units are almost certainly V3 equipped with the thin(er), more flexible conductor rather than the conductor used on V2, which should make the noted 180 degree "twist" somewhat easier to accomplish.

Reactions: Marcram74
This configuration, although not the most common, has been around for a long time (e.g., lots of sites like this in California), so I don't think it's a specific attempt to accommodate other-brand EVs...
I just watched a video by a well known Youtuber that was about v.4 Superchargers and many of the shots showed installs with this type of orientation. So like others have stated, this does appear to be common enough. Just never noticed them in eastern Canada or NE states in the few places I've been.

Good to know it is done elsewhere. I had visions of someone having to rip them all up to re-orient them. :eek: 🤣

Stayed in Canada the whole way. It had been thirty years since I drove west and wanted to do it in reverse before the stalls got too busy with non-Tesla's. Only saw two Ford F-150's charging along the way.
I was super impressed by the car knowing how much to charge at each station. The car was fully loaded with supplies, had a Thule on the roof, and temperatures dipped to -25C. Most days I needed 60 to 80% more range in the car than the actual distance covered and the car took that into consideration and got me to the next charging location with typically 10% charge remaining in the car. I tried out thinking the car a few times on how long to charge BUT quickly realized the car was smarter than me in this respect. :)

Reactions: navguy12
I was super impressed by the car knowing how much to charge at each station. The car was fully loaded with supplies, had a Thule on the roof, and temperatures dipped to -25C. Most days I needed 60 to 80% more range in the car than the actual distance covered and the car took that into consideration and got me to the next charging location with typically 10% charge remaining in the car. I tried out thinking the car a few times on how long to charge BUT quickly realized the car was smarter than me in this respect. :)
That is a tight margin in those temps… interesting that the car guessed right each time.

Reactions: kayak1
Stayed in Canada the whole way. It had been thirty years since I drove west and wanted to do it in reverse before the stalls got too busy with non-Tesla's. Only saw two Ford F-150's charging along the way.
Nice. I drove it from BC to St. Johns, Newfoundland in an ICE in 2009 and then drove about half of it again in my Model S when they re-opened the border in 2021.

Also, I never considered my direction of travel to be "in reverse." You've been in BC for 30 years but you still think like an Easterner :)