Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively small population, most of them in the are of St John's, and the EV market isn't very strong, so not a priority to get in and serve the island's population.

For visitors, to drive a Tesla to Newfoundland you first need to drive to North Sydney, NS.
It's 419km from the Supercharger in Aulac, NB to the ferry in North Sydney, NS. So Tesla first needs to build its planned Superchargers (see their findus page) in the New Glasgow, NS and Auld's Cove, NS areas.

Then you need to catch a ferry, year round to Port aux Basques, NL, or summer (and an extra 105 per car and 65 per person each way) to Argentina, NL.

Argentina, NL to St John's, NL is 131.6km.
Port aux Basques, NL to St John's, NL is 1080km

So, to provide reasonable service Tesla will need to:
- build the planned Superchargers in Nova Scotia
- build a bunch of Superchargers between Port aux Basques, NL and St John's, NL.

Not saying it'll never happen, but you have to be realistic that it's not going to happen quickly, it'd happen _after_ connecting Cape Breton, NS, and the multiple Superchargers required properly to cover the whole of the TCH in Newfoundland, would probably make it a low priority.

Assuming they eventually do it, I would expect them to work west from St John's, NL to start with the most populous area first.
Argentia

I think Tesla should start off in NL with a soft run, and then diversify the locations over time

1st run:
Mountainside General Store - Doyles NL (6)
Deer Lake Big Stop - Deer Lake NL (6)
Canadian Tire - Grand Falls-Windsor NL (6)
Canadian Tire - Clarenville NL (6)
Canadian Tire - Mount Pearl NL (8)

2nd run:
Canadian Tire - Stephenville NL (4)
Eddy’s Restaurant - South Brook NL (6)
Gander Mall - Gander NL (6)
Irving Oil - Whitbourne NL (6)

Otherwise, ditch Clarenville and put in the Goobers Big Stop and the Blackmore Gas Station.

Huh? The drive across the island is over 800km.

Really appreciate all this discussion. I am going to be there in under a month(NL), and am literally flying naked. With all the recent storms. I am trying to figure out the charging infrastructure at Channel-Port aux Basques then continuing to highway one to St. John's. If anyone feels inclined please PM so thread can stay on topic. I can see plugshare, but not often updated.

Just a random thought, if people who enter the Atlantic bubble need to quarantine for 14 days, how is a Tesla employee post to come and organize supercharger installations?!?

looks like Atlantic is delayed till 2021.
Any business can submit a workplan to the jurisdictions that indicate how the employees can work with correct protocols to ensure no transmission. Cody has to do that just to get across from NS to NB to work on our car. Same is true from the US, if you have business to do you can apply to cross and do work so long as you're being careful. WorkSafe NB has a plan you can find on their website I believe.

Are you still visiting your family while living in Maine? If so, how?
Sadly, not at this time. With dual citizenship and active domiciles in both countries, technically we could probably cross the border into Canada at least once on the premise that we would be returning home. However, we would have to quarantine for fourteen days and then remain in Nova Scotia indefinitely--casual travel between Atlantic Canada provinces is currently prohibited and it is doubtful that we could easily re-enter the US. Our kids are all living in the US, so we decided to hunker down at our home in Maine until the borders open back up. I bought the CHAdeMO so we can make the trip as soon as the borders reopen. IMHO the borders will open long before Auld's Cove is completed.

Reactions: kayak1
...casual travel between Atlantic Canada provinces is currently prohibited
Atlantic bubble now allows "free movement" between all 4 provinces, just slow downs at the crossings...

and it is doubtful that we could easily re-enter the US.
Possibly easier to move south than the trip north, though if you have proof you have property in the region the north trip isn't difficult. There's no provincial officials at the international border, they are relying on CBSA to do that.

IMHO the borders will open long before Auld's Cove is completed.
LOL, that depends on two independent variables, one of which includes the current occupant of the White House, and the other the timeliness of the supercharger buildout team... two truly independent variables.

I sent a note to plugshare as it has the Lincoln and Aulac superchargers marked as 120KW. I have witnessed both of these charging in the 130s. Either they have been upgraded to 150s or perhaps the first people testing them only had cars capable of taking 120? Not sure, either way, they are definitely now 150s. I have a feeling this is also the case for Enfield and St.Leonard as both of those are also marked as 120. If anyone is using these chargers soon make sure to take note and update plugshare accordingly.