Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snapshot: oct 5

Some delay(s)

TitleProvinceIf Already Open (per Tesla)Planned Opening Date (US website)
Campbellton, NB (coming soon)NBComing SoonTarget opening in 2022
New Minas, NS (coming soon)NSComing SoonTarget opening in Q1 2022
Westville, NS (coming soon)NSComing SoonTarget opening in Q4 2021

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
In hoping to get info on the Westville charger if anyone lives close… travelling to Cape Breton and I’d love to be able to stop there. They haven’t pushed the date back from 2021 so it’s gotta be close to finished.

I live 2 minutes from the New Minas one and it has looked finished for a few weeks, but still fenced up. I would guess just on hold waiting for a permit or hookup or something.

If anyone has any info other than what’s on the Tesla site for Westville I’d appreciate it!

• Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus and PLUS EV
In hoping to get info on the Westville charger if anyone lives close… travelling to Cape Breton and I’d love to be able to stop there. They haven’t pushed the date back from 2021 so it’s gotta be close to finished.

I live 2 minutes from the New Minas one and it has looked finished for a few weeks, but still fenced up. I would guess just on hold waiting for a permit or hookup or something.

If anyone has any info other than what’s on the Tesla site for Westville I’d appreciate it!
To my knowledge the site has not been started, and will not be touched until New Minas is complete.

Thank you, yes discovered this yesterday as we drove up. We actually visited the site I believe it will be at and no signs of any action. Too bad. With the FLO charger in Monastery out of commission, driving to Sydney in cold/bad weather is just about impossible. We charged up at the FLO in New Glasgow but it’s WAY slower, and topped up in Baddeck, but our destination was estimated at 3% of range without baddeck. If I didn’t have a Chademo adapter we would be really cooked! The New Glasgow site will make that trip significantly more manageable.

1643900458043.png

I really wish they would consider adding one in Newfoundland. There's definitely now a lot more Teslas and they can also state there's superchargers across Canada.
For these locations, I am starting to feel like Tesla needs to introduce a 2 stall rural design that doesn't take much from the grid or develop a program to provide the appropriate adapters.

Newfoundland already has a great basic setup for Chademo adapters.

Reactions: gforce2002
For these locations, I am starting to feel like Tesla needs to introduce a 2 stall rural design that doesn't take much from the grid or develop a program to provide the appropriate adapters.

Newfoundland already has a great basic setup for Chademo adapters.
From a Tesla driver's perspective that makes sense, but does it make financial sense to build those? What is the ROI on a site with two chargers vs twenty or even eight? Will Tesla ever earn a return as I am guessing that a lot of the costs in a SC location are fixed.

They can put in whatever size transformer they want - if the transformer is limited to 250 kW, then the site is too.
A 250 kW transformer isn't limited to 250kW, it can be pushed past 250kW but will start to get hot.

Around my area, most homes with 200AMP service have 10kva transformers. If one drive around you can see the red light on many of them where they are past the 10kva mark. I had to pay to upgrade from a 10kva transformer to a 25kva transformer when I had the solar installed.
-Jason

Reactions: Tectonic
A 250 kW transformer isn't limited to 250kW, it can be pushed past 250kW but will start to get hot.

Around my area, most homes with 200AMP service have 10kva transformers. If one drive around you can see the red light on many of them where they are past the 10kva mark. I had to pay to upgrade from a 10kva transformer to a 25kva transformer when I had the solar installed.
-Jason

Indeed - brain lapse on my part. However, IIRC, the grid input on a standard V3 cabinet is (or at least has been) limited to 350 kVa (~325 kW), so it's not too much different from the case proposed above where 250 kW is shared across 4 stations (despite Tesla's marketing, you can't have 4 cars charging at 250 kW from a one-cabinet V3 supercharger).

Anyway, hope they get those NS sites completed soon - seems like they've been a long time coming!

Indeed - brain lapse on my part. However, IIRC, the grid input on a standard V3 cabinet is (or at least has been) limited to 350 kVa (~325 kW), so it's not too much different from the case proposed above where 250 kW is shared across 4 stations (despite Tesla's marketing, you can't have 4 cars charging at 250 kW from a one-cabinet V3 supercharger).

Anyway, hope they get those NS sites completed soon - seems like they've been a long time coming!
I am glad to see NS progress, that said I am very disappointed as to the lack of SuperChargers in Newfoundland.

The chargers currently in place are mostly limited to 50KW and it's a really large island that deserves a great charging infrastructure.

Reactions: BaileyMc